Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem turning on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi people. I hope someone can answer my question. This morning when I went out my Model 3 (2018) was fine. This afternoon when I went out, the backup screen stayed dark. Switching it off and on had no effect. When I went into drive, the icon of the vehicle had red parentheses around the rear ends, and yellow parentheses around the front of the vehicle. I was concerned so I pulled back into my garage. a couple of hours later I tried the vehicle again, and there was no problem; the car worked perfectly again.
Any ideas as to why this happened?
How can I prevent this problem happening?

The yellow and red lines around the car are just your proximity sensors telling you that there are obstacles around the car. You were in your garage so that seems logical.
The backup camera will be black if you just hopped in your car and set it to reverse quickly while it's trying to wake up. If you give it enough time it will display. If not, there are threads around here about camera problems and how to fix them.

Upvote 0
Proximity sensors can become dirty which sometimes leaves lines around the car. Clean the car and see if it continues. For camera, you can start by a simple reboot of the infotainment system. If that doesn't fix it, you might need to search for the other threads I'm talking about. You can try removing all USB devices before rebooting and see if it works better. I think sometimes "bad" usb devices can cause these issues.

Upvote 0
Ever changed your 12V yet?

This is what I was thinking when I read the thread, too...

1. Model 3 that is 2+ years old....check
2. "strangeness" around car booting up, cameras etc.... check

Sometimes we see strangeness when a software update has just been applied, but other than that, given the age of the vehicle, the 12V battery would be where I would likely look first.

Upvote 0
Hi people. I hope someone can answer my question. This morning when I went out my Model 3 (2018) was fine. This afternoon when I went out, the backup screen stayed dark. Switching it off and on had no effect. When I went into drive, the icon of the vehicle had red parentheses around the rear ends, and yellow parentheses around the front of the vehicle. I was concerned so I pulled back into my garage. a couple of hours later I tried the vehicle again, and there was no problem; the car worked perfectly again.
Any ideas as to why this happened?
How can I prevent this problem happening?
Problem turning on the model 3 you say
Well first off don't rush things
I noticed you are referring to "the" and not "my" Model 3
But you do later on so maybe all is not not lost, maybe you can save this
It seems you have been in relationship for a while
since 2018, that shows commitment
Get to know "your" model 3 again maybe go out to dinner
or a long drive. Don't try to fix things by buying unnecessary accessories
Show it with your actions and attention

Or maybe just replace your old 12v battery....

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0