Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem w/ Goodyear tires and "shimmy"/vibration on new s p100

has any one experienced the difference between the goodyear eagle touring and the michelin tires?

• yes there is a difference to me

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • no perceptible difference to me

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I feel a shimmy or vibration when I hit a small bump

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a new 2019 Model S P100 (not raven) with 19 inch wheels. I traded in a 75 D and upgraded to the larger battery. MY OLD CAR had 46K miles and Michelin sport pilot 3 tires on it. I had purchased a used certified one from Tesla directly. Now 8 months later traded it in for a new P100. The NEW tesla S shipped with Goodyear Eagle touring. When I got the car I didn't notice, nor think to ask during my purchase. They were kind enough to deliver the car to me (great service).

When I first got into the car I noticed a big issue with road noise. This new car had so much road noise from the tires it was astounding. My girlfriend when she got into my car said to me unprompted "wow this car is way noisier than your old one". So I wasn't imagining things. In addition to the noise, if I hit any kind of bump I get a small but perceptible shimmy in the steering wheel. The steering wheel vibrates left and right just slightly. THIS DID NOT happen with my other S.

The handling is nearly as good either. I brought this up to Telsa and they had me drive it to their service center which was about 50 miles from me. Their tech drove it and net net. They said they did feel a bit of a vibration, but that the tires "seemed normal to them". They did acknowledge that these tires are significantly louder than my old michelin's Had I have known I would have gladly paid the difference at the time and now they won't switch them UGHH>>>

So my question is has anyone else experienced this steering wheel shimmy and/or had experience with the difference between the michelin's and the goodyear tires.

thanks for the help..

Pretty pissed that I had bought a model S from Tesla about 8 months ago, and now plunked down an additional 85K for a new bigger battery version only to be told that they woudn't swap the tires.. Oh they were happy to swap them if I bought entirely new ones.. UGHHHH..

thanks

Don't feel bad. I switched from GY to M at 14K miles because the GYs had so many flats. The shimmy after a bump shouldn't have anything to do with the tires. I suspect if you switch it will still be there. Michelins have always been known to be quiet (exception: some models on some road surfaces).

Reactions: Brando
I have had good service with both Michelin Primacy MXM4 (245/45-19, nearly 30K on my previous RWD 85), Michelin Pilot Super Sport (staggered 21, 4K on my P85D), as well as Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 (245/45-19, OEM on my previous Chevy Impala that my wife now drives - they lasted so long I bought her another set when they wore out after over 50K).

Since they were on different cars I don't really have a head-to-head comparison among them, but none were outright BAD.

the michelin's and the goodyear tires.

75D here, first set 19" GY 28k miles with 5k left easily, switched to 21 Arachnids, hated the ride, painted crosswalks felt like speed bumps.

Bought set of new GY takeoffs from 100D shipped to me from a guy in Minn. I just days ago put them on 19" rims and the quietness, smoothness all speeds, handling, etc. I love them. In fact, last night I was telling my wife I just saved 90 grand because I too was thinking of buying 100D or P100D. Really this car goes just as good as you can practicably drive anywhere anyway.

I'm probably one of the few people that likes these tires- I have not read yet anyone who likes them, all the rest of my vehicles have Michelins unfortunately they are ICE.

I'm thinking either alignment issue, balancing, or heavier car differing results? Blemish in one or more tire also.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I usually drive on the Michelin mxm4, I just did my first 5k miles on the GY eagles and notice they are a bit louder and less wet traction than the michelins have.

Also I only drive with 19"s since 21"s are such an issue with potholes and faster wear.

2014 S85 RWD

I had a impromptu test drive of a 100D a couple of months back and was also very surprised at the amount of road noise and front motor noise compared to my P90D. Girlfriend also past comment on it. Sounds terrible but it really felt cheap compared to my current drive.

I thought all P100Ds (19” or 21”) shipped with max summer performance only?? Mine came with MS Pilot Sport 3s on 19”slipstreams
The 19" should be all-seasons. Only the 21" would have summer performance tires. It's cost plus expectations. People who select 19" do so for the savings and don't care nearly as much about summer performance.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sunshine State
I just saved 90 grand

This is why I love these Goodyears, this morning coming back from Port St Lucie to Palm Beach County 37 miles each way did roundtrip. Flat terrain predominantly just overpasses. This is model 3 territory usage last I looked.

AP-1 2016 75D.

78mph on autopilot, AC on, set to 68 deg fan 5. Not noisy at all on this car. Standard Model S Wind noise yes, thats all.
IMG_1376.JPG
This is why I would have a long thought process getting rid of this 75D for any other Model even the 3. Larger batteries only mean waiting longer to achieve longer ranges.

A recent update to my last post.

Ended up asking Tesla if they would switch the tires for me and they said there was a price difference between the michelins and the good years which I happily agreed to pay..

Ultimately they denied my request and essentially said they would be happy to sell me new tires.. very disappointed but that's another subject.

As far as the tires of cells go I ended up buying a set of 21-inch rims and Michelin super sport tires with the acoustic foam layer specific for Tesla.

What's interesting is the astounding difference in sound even though the 21 inch rims are supposedly louder.

I downloaded a decibel meter app online and measured the decibels of the car with the Goodyear tires on them it averaged about 63 decibels on a normal smooth highway at 65 miles an hour
After swapping the tires with the Michelin super sport 20 ones I conducted the same test on the same highway under similar conditions and it averaged 56 decimals according to the app a significant difference

I had put about 600 miles on the Goodyear tires and noticed that I was getting used to the noise. I thought that perhaps the tires were somehow getting quieter but when I retested the decibel levels on the same highway under similar conditions the results for the same.

As far as the "shimmy" goes. It's till there. but I asked the service advisor he said that there was a difference between the 2019 car in the 2016 car that I have. The car definitely handles better with the Michelin 21 inch tires it's still a bit different than my 2016 75 dual motor.

In any event I still love the car.

Just saying.

What's confusing to me, is that I was told BOTH the GoodYears and Michelins has NON acoustic versions of these tires. (After reading the comments on this forum, I know what to look for on the sidewall of the tire) Is the point of the scoustic tires ONLY to diminish road noise, or is there another reason? I live up a windy road and the GY's have issues gripping the road on turns. I have only my Prius to compare it to, though.

This is my first Tesla, bought in 2018, and I haven't changed the tires yet. I noticed the front tires have more wear than the back, so I was going to replace those. But I was told I shouldn't do that. Do I need to replace ALL of the tires or is it okay to just replace the worn ones?

What's confusing to me, is that I was told BOTH the GoodYears and Michelins has NON acoustic versions of these tires. (After reading the comments on this forum, I know what to look for on the sidewall of the tire) Is the point of the scoustic tires ONLY to diminish road noise, or is there another reason? I live up a windy road and the GY's have issues gripping the road on turns. I have only my Prius to compare it to, though.

This is my first Tesla, bought in 2018, and I haven't changed the tires yet. I noticed the front tires have more wear than the back, so I was going to replace those. But I was told I shouldn't do that. Do I need to replace ALL of the tires or is it okay to just replace the worn ones?
No other reason. Road noise only, and some folks say that they notice little or no difference between acoustic and non-acoustic.

Assuming a non-staggered set of four tires, all the tires should be the same so that handling won't be affected. The idea of rotation is so that all four tires wear out at the same time. One way that's often done is the 1/3, 2/3 method. Rotate when about 1/3 of the tread is gone on the most worn axle, and then again at 2/3. If the difference between the front and the rears is 2/32 rotate. If you must replace only two tires, the new tires go on the front to prevent unintended doughnuts in wet weather.

If the setup is staggered, you replace the tires as needed two at a time. The difference in size overpowers the other factors.