Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with “Depart at” charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knock on wood, but I haven't had any issues with the scheduled departure. Off peak ends at 6:00 for me and I depart by 7:30.

I use both settings. I have the charge time (off peak ending time) set to end at 6:00 and the departure time set for 7:30. My car finishes charging by 6:00 and ready to depart by 7:30.

@Jughead135 check the charging time. After the latest update it reset to 00:00 and as soon as I plugged in the car began charging.
I

This is how mine used to work prior to the ability to set when off-peak ends. However, this was still less than ideal because it gave two hours for the battery to get cold again and i wouldn’t have full regen when I leave at 8am. In the Summer this would not matter as much but in the Winter I wanted both the battery and cabin warmed up when I’m ready to leave. Otherwise I’m using more energy on the drive to warm up the pack again.

I've had the same problem with charging starting right away, when no peak rate end time was set up on the car. I don't have TOU rate schedule for my power, and the only way to make the car delay charging till closer to my departure time was to set the end of peak rates later than the scheduled departure.

Ahh...! OK, I don’t have any off-peak rates set, either (since they don’t apply). Will try it!!

To be sure I understand you: If I plan to leave at (say) 8:00 AM, I would set the end off-peak time to (say) 9:00 (so long as it’s later than the planned departure time)? My desired result is (a) battery starts charging as required to get to the designated charge point at 8:00; and (b) car starts conditioning the battery and heating/cooling the cabin, as required, for that same 8:00 departure.

EDIT: That looks like what @Duffer is saying. Away from the car for a few days, will try when I get reunited!! Thanks!

Last edited:
This is how mine used to work prior to the ability to set when off-peak ends. However, this was still less than ideal because it gave two hours for the battery to get cold again and i wouldn’t have full regen when I leave at 8am. In the Summer this would not matter as much but in the Winter I wanted both the battery and cabin warmed up when I’m ready to leave. Otherwise I’m using more energy on the drive to warm up the pack again.
You might want to try setting it up again. It seems to be functioning better after the last two updates, currently on 2020.48.30

When I woke up at 6:00 this morning the pack was already charged and the interior was 40° (outside temp 37°). The interior was 68° and I had full regen when I departed at 7:30.

It used to work in my M3, but with the last update, I’ve tried it twice and it failed twice. I just picked up my ‘21 MS Monday, I haven’t tried the departure yet. I don’t use peak rates as it doesn’t apply in Montana, maybe it’s still trying to use them and that’s what’s messing me up?

Reactions: Duffer
Ahh...! OK, I don’t have any off-peak rates set, either (since they don’t apply). Will try it!!

To be sure I understand you: If I plan to leave at (say) 8:00 AM, I would set the end off-peak time to (say) 9:00 (so long as it’s later than the planned departure time)? My desired result is (a) battery starts charging as required to get to the designated charge point at 8:00; and (b) car starts conditioning the battery and heating/cooling the cabin, as required, for that same 8:00 departure.

EDIT: That looks like what @Duffer is saying. Away from the car for a few days, will try when I get reunited!! Thanks!
Exactly - I found that as long as I set an off-peak end time later than my scheduled departure, it would not start charging when the cable is connected and instead use the scheduled departure time to decide when to start. However, I started wondering about phantom energy use (i.e. not measured by the car) for the pre-conditioning cycle that is activated by Scheduled Departure. It seems that the primary benefit of that process is to improve the amount of regen braking available. I decided that since my car is kept at around 8-10C overnight, it doesn't need to be pre-conditioned as long as I'm always able to regen to a full stop without wasting kinetic energy by applying the brakes. Now I use the scheduled charge start time option and take whatever charge it gives me by my departure time. Since I don't leave till late morning, I can always start the charging earlier from the app when necessary. I then turn on cabin heat remotely 15 mins before I want to leave. It's a bit more work but I believe it reduces total energy use.

I found that as long as I set an off-peak end time later than my scheduled departure, it would not start charging when the cable is connected and instead use the scheduled departure time to decide when to start

Just had the chance to try this--and, yup, that's what's happening. Completely non-intuitive, but not a terribly difficult work-around. I guess the design theory is that unless there's an off-peak rate, you always want to charge immediately...??

Thanks again for the pointer!

I used the pre-conditioning/Depart-at settings and they seem to work well. I just usually have to remember that if I want the car to charge before I leave for work the next morning, I have to go into the app and have charging start manually. If I don't plan on driving before my scheduled departure time, I just let it do it's thing and it has worked so far.

I am having similar issues with depart at setting. I have it set to depart at 630am, preconditioning is on, off peak charging is on. Off peak set to 7am. Tried 6am as well. I have charge limit set to 85. Charge was at 81. Plugged in. It ramped up voltage to max then ramped down. Display showed scheduled for depart 630am. I left the car and went inside and checked the app a few minutes later and the charging had started. It is currently 2pm. I stopped charging, screen again in car said scheduled depart 630. Then a few minutes later it started charging again and completed charging.
when I first got the car last weekend, I did the scheduled depart and the app or car stated it would start charging at 150am and it did seem to have done that to be ready for 630. Charge at that time was about 30% after driving it home. Since then, it no longer does the charge over overnight or delays to just 30 mins before I leave to coordinate charging and preconditioning. Not sure what might have changed. I have downloaded stats app, watch app for Tesla and optiwaty apps and not sure if any of those changed how the depart at setting works. Tried deleting stats( didn’t really find any use for it) and optiwatt( wasn’t really making it charge overnight ) but kept watch for Tesla for the Siri Shortcuts. This was before I did the charging trial today.
not sure what is going on. This is simple and should work as we would expect it. Could it be that my charge limit is so close to my current SOC that it just decides to finish charging it now. Off peak charging times should really have a start and end time. I am stumped as it worked once last week and don’t know if there has been an update that bricked the function.