Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with “Depart at” charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having issues with scheduled charging, using the “depart at” method?

Ever since a recent update (I’ve had two in close succession, with a third not long before those, so I’m not sure when it started), it’s not working for me. I can set the time to depart (the setting page changed a little in one of the changes, but basically the same as it’s been), but no matter how far out or close it is, my charging starts immediately, and there’s no preconditioning of the battery or cabin happening. It’s as if I just plugged in without any schedule set at all.

Any ideas? Troubleshooting?

I had trouble a month ago with departure charging but all is better now after the latest update that allowed for setting the end of off-peak rates.

Peak charging resumes at 6am for me, but I want to be ready to leave at 8am. Before, departure charging would always stop at 6am and I’d have to manually remember to pre-condition the cabin/battery before I leave. After the latest update, I can override the peak time and set it for 8am and departure charging works almost perfectly. For some reason it likes to finish at 730am instead of 8am. I tried moving the peak time to 830am but charging still completes by 730am. Eh, close enough for me.

I’ve been screwed too many times in the past where I trust it to kick on and charge prior to my departure. That way I leave with a warm battery and a warm cabin. BUT it has failed me for many of the stated reasons and I end up trying to leave for work without sufficient charge or way too close for my round trip.
I have had much better luck with my StatsApp (3rd party) that allows me to just plug in when I get home and see that it starts charging right away. It is set for 85%. But then stats app kicks it on 30 minutes or so early in the morning before I leave again and tops off the battery to 90% and warms cabin. This way I am not just heating battery I’m charging it to my desired level. It’s my favorite feature of the app. I really don’t like using 3rd part apps to be honest. But this particular feature makes it worth it for me.
ironically I use the Tesla app almost exclusively and the Stats app is just set to do this for me in background.

• Informative
Reactions: TimT
I had a loaner 3 few weeks ago and currently working weekends, the "depart at 5:30am" worked every time far as cabin preheat, but was inconsistent if charging was done.

My P85 on the other hand is finishing charging an hour early and I have been manually preheating the cabin because when I check 10minutes before I leave it hasn't activated yet and near Green Bay outdoors with the precipitation fog and frost we gave had it needs a solid defrost.

What’s your charging setup? Is it possible that your charging is setup such that it needs to start right away to leave at the time you scheduled?

That was my initial thought. I’ve since tried multiple different setups, with more than double the amount of time involved: say, 4:00 of charging required for a departure 8:00 away. It still just starts charging as soon as I plug in.... ‍o_O

I’ve tried this feature twice for early morning road trip departures when I needed a full (100%) charge, a warm cabin and a preconditioned battery—final score: 0 for 2. There will not be a third attempt. Nice idea; flawed execution.

I’ve tried this feature twice for early morning road trip departures when I needed a full (100%) charge, a warm cabin and a preconditioned battery—final score: 0 for 2. There will not be a third attempt. Nice idea; flawed execution.

Sorry to hear. Departure charging has been reliable for me the past three days. Have you tried powering off the car (in the menu instead of the steering wheel buttons)? Powering Off for five minutes resolved a previous issue I had where the air suspension was pumping too much air — steering wheel button restart didn’t fix it.

This morning I noticed charging completed at 737am, THEN precondition started a few minutes after that. I always assumed preconditioning was happening the whole time the car was charging. It makes sense now why charging completes early (set for 8am). The algorithm devotes all power to charging first, then trickle charges while warming up the cabin. That explains why the HVAC system stays off and cabin temp was at 68 degrees while charging, then warmed up to 73 degrees only after the charge limit was reached.

I’ve been screwed too many times in the past where I trust it to kick on and charge prior to my departure. That way I leave with a warm battery and a warm cabin. BUT it has failed me for many of the stated reasons and I end up trying to leave for work without sufficient charge or way too close for my round trip.
I have had much better luck with my StatsApp (3rd party) that allows me to just plug in when I get home and see that it starts charging right away. It is set for 85%. But then stats app kicks it on 30 minutes or so early in the morning before I leave again and tops off the battery to 90% and warms cabin. This way I am not just heating battery I’m charging it to my desired level. It’s my favorite feature of the app. I really don’t like using 3rd part apps to be honest. But this particular feature makes it worth it for me.
ironically I use the Tesla app almost exclusively and the Stats app is just set to do this for me in background.

Good info. I use the siri commands option via Stats quite often. "Open Trunk" can come in real handy via my Apple watch when both hands are full leaving costco, for example. Or saying "hey siri, warm my car" in the morning to start the cabin/heated seat

• Informative
Reactions: Jughead135
Good info. I use the siri commands option via Stats quite often. "Open Trunk" can come in real handy via my Apple watch when both hands are full leaving costco, for example. Or saying "hey siri, warm my car" in the morning to start the cabin/heated seat

I’ve been a longtime Android devotee with Android watches. Recently switched to an iPhone 12. Your post alone makes me want to get an Apple Watch, lol. Thank you both.

it was $39 just 2-3 weeks ago when I got it. Its a one time cost/non subscription, if that helps any.
I mainly wanted to use Siri without having to code my own commands (doable). For me, its worth the one time $39. I will admit, for some psychological reason, $45 would be a dealbreaker for me

Knock on wood, but I haven't had any issues with the scheduled departure. Off peak ends at 6:00 for me and I depart by 7:30.

I use both settings. I have the charge time (off peak ending time) set to end at 6:00 and the departure time set for 7:30. My car finishes charging by 6:00 and ready to depart by 7:30.

@Jughead135 check the charging time. After the latest update it reset to 00:00 and as soon as I plugged in the car began charging.
I

I've had the same problem with charging starting right away, when no peak rate end time was set up on the car. I don't have TOU rate schedule for my power, and the only way to make the car delay charging till closer to my departure time was to set the end of peak rates later than the scheduled departure.