Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with a second gen2 UMC from Tesla Shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a spare gen 2 UMC from the Tesla shop. My intent was to immediately send this one off to Quick Charge Power to add on an extension. Luckily I decided to test it first.

The handle of the UMC will not fully insert into the charge port. While trying to insert it, I can hear the charge port latch trying to grab the nozzle, but it just keeps clicking and not grabbing. The touchscreen just says something along the lines of can't charge - fully insert the connector.

I immediately tried my original UMC that came with the car and it works just fine. The nozzle fits securely and immediately locks. Then I tried the new one again. Same thing,- can't fully insert the nozzle and it won't lock.

I've sent out an email to the shop support about an exchange but I have no idea how long it will take for that to happen. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on with the new UMC? Is there a permanent fix or should I just wait out the exchange process?

I just bought a spare gen 2 UMC from the Tesla shop. My intent was to immediately send this one off to Quick Charge Power to add on an extension. Luckily I decided to test it first.

The handle of the UMC will not fully insert into the charge port. While trying to insert it, I can hear the charge port latch trying to grab the nozzle, but it just keeps clicking and not grabbing. The touchscreen just says something along the lines of can't charge - fully insert the connector.

I immediately tried my original UMC that came with the car and it works just fine. The nozzle fits securely and immediately locks. Then I tried the new one again. Same thing,- can't fully insert the nozzle and it won't lock.

I've sent out an email to the shop support about an exchange but I have no idea how long it will take for that to happen. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on with the new UMC? Is there a permanent fix or should I just wait out the exchange process?

Look inside your charging port and inside the old UMC. Is there any broken plastic pieces or debris in there?

We have seen parts of the charging ports break off and get stuck in the cord handle or charging port. In these cases the original handle/port combo that broke will often work together, but then other combos may not work.

I'll give it a look over when I get home from work. Any idea what causes that problem? I can't imagine this happened mine. I've only used the the original umc 7 or 8 times. Heck I've had the car less than a week.

Yeah, this does not sound like your issue but it is worth checking.

Where we have seen this is on I think Model S or X vehicles that have part of their charging port break off and get stuck in a UMC or wall connector handle. That handle then continues to work fine for the original vehicle since it still fits, but when you try to use the handle on another car the plastic causes the handle to not seat fully.