Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with blind spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone having major issues with blind spot?

I’m very new to the model S but had a model 3. My 2022 model S is 1000% not showing cars in my blind spot. My passenger can see the cars but the dashboard is registering nothing there. This lead to a problem were I was forced off the road on the shoulder trying to avoid a car that I could see was there and now have a huge scrape on the side of the car from road debris. The car is brand new. 30 days old and already damaged. It could have been far worse. It’s was nearly a major accident on a Florida highway. TIA!!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
What you are describing could be a big problem on Full Self Driving which changes lanes without warning and sometimes currently without any reason whatsoever. There is no way to really check for blind spots when you are unprepared for the change.

What you are describing could be a big problem on Full Self Driving which changes lanes without warning and sometimes currently without any reason whatsoever. There is no way to really check for blind spots when you are unprepared for the change.
The blind spot warning in Lane Assist is for the person driving the car. I haven’t heard of any collisions using Navigate on Autopilot or FSD Beta caused by not detecting an adjacent car, so the car seems to be doing okay in that regard. But even then, you need to be prepared to intervene.

Lane Assist is part of FSD, which is in Beta, meaning experimental and not yet finished. This means the driver is responsible for supervising anything FSD does, correcting any incorrect actions and double checking any indications from the system. Tesla makes this very clear in their documentation disclaimers.

The disclaimer is just that. If your car turns left in front of an oncoming vehicle it doesn't see, you can take control immediately and still get hit head on. Just like changing lanes without warning, some accidents caused by the system will not be avoidable if the system acts unpredictably and there is not enough time for the driver to regain control. You can try to regain control, but their is simply not enough response time. When an accident results, it is not a desirable outcome.

The disclaimer is just that. If your car turns left in front of an oncoming vehicle it doesn't see, you can take control immediately and still get hit head on. Just like changing lanes without warning, some accidents caused by the system will not be avoidable if the system acts unpredictably and there is not enough time for the driver to regain control. You can try to regain control, but their is simply not enough response time. When an accident results, it is not a desirable outcome.
Some accidents are unavoidable even by human drivers (e.g. someone plows into your car while you're stopped at a red light). However, in your example, if "your car turns left in front of an oncoming vehicle it doesn't see" that means you screwed up - your job supervising FSD is keep both hands on the wheel at all times and not let it turn into oncoming traffic. Now, if you let the car turn, that means you are saying it's a move which you would also do yourself, so again, your fault since you would have done the same turn as the car. Basically, don't ever let the car do what you wouldn't do yourself, it's that simple.

As a side note, I totally understand why driving a car which you have to watch like a hawk would be no fun for some people, like me for example. That is why I don't use advanced FSD features beyond lane keeping and ACC, nor trust the car will in fact see every object in my blind spot. When I use ACC with lane keeping, I keep my hands on the wheel, treat is as if the car was driving on a well designed autobahn where the car naturally stays in the lane as it's guided by the curvature of the road, but of course I always keep my hands on the wheel and I don't let the car steer anywhere I would not steer it myself.

There are people like you and me that perform 100% accurate responses to unexpected actions from not only our Tesla's automated driving, but also from the unexpected actions from other drivers that cause accidents. There are many lesser humans out there, however, that make mistakes and accidents then happen. It is for these unfortunates that I say that the failure of blind spot detection may result in an accident. That is tragic in and of itself. Yes, Tesla and other drivers which make a mistake will claim innocence, and thus they may have disclaimers denying liability.

Last edited:
No, Lane Assist is one of the active safety features standard on all Teslas, and it includes both blind spot monitoring and lane departure avoidance. Auto Lane Change is part of FSD, so maybe that’s what you meant.
The information what cars are around you comes from FSD software, which is officially beta. I agree that the blind spot warning feature itself does not require you to agree on the screen to use Beta software to enable, but as pointed out in comment #3 above by @EVRider-FL , the manual clearly states the feature is not guaranteed to be reliable. Another way to think about it, you changing lanes while doing your own checks around the car is manual lane change, you changing lanes based on FSD visualizations could be described as Semi-Auto Lane Change maneuver, and since it relies on beta software, performing the maneuver has to be considered beta.

The information what cars are around you comes from FSD software, which is officially beta. I agree that the blind spot warning feature itself does not require you to agree on the screen to use Beta software to enable, but as pointed out in comment #3 above by @EVRider-FL , the manual clearly states the feature is not guaranteed to be reliable. Another way to think about it, you changing lanes while doing your own checks around the car is manual lane change, you changing lanes based on FSD visualizations could be described as Semi-Auto Lane Change maneuver, and since it relies on beta software, performing the maneuver has to be considered beta.
No, the Lane Assist does not use or require the FSD feature, it is available on all Tesla models, even those without Autopilot.

The cameras, radar, and AP computer are hardware, not FSD software. Of course if you disable the hardware, things won’t work.
Cameras are fed into the Tesla vision system which is part of FSD software (AP computer runs the neural network which processes it to determine what cars are around, including the blind spots). There is no non-Beta software running on AP computer, so if disabling AP computer disables Lane Assist, then Lane Assist uses Beta software.

Is anyone having major issues with blind spot?

I’m very new to the model S but had a model 3. My 2022 model S is 1000% not showing cars in my blind spot. My passenger can see the cars but the dashboard is registering nothing there. This lead to a problem were I was forced off the road on the shoulder trying to avoid a car that I could see was there and now have a huge scrape on the side of the car from road debris. The car is brand new. 30 days old and already damaged. It could have been far worse. It’s was nearly a major accident on a Florida highway. TIA!!
So sorry to hear that @Florida2022. That's why we've always asked people to check their mirrors for the blind spot even with blind-spot detection system.

Our convex blind spot mirrors (link) help to enhance your driving experience by reducing your blind spot.

We are running 20% for those who might be interested (link). Drive safe folks.

Tesla Mirror Install without Turn Signal-low.gif

Why not just put a red arrow in the mirror like other cars do? It’s a simple solution to a very serious problem.

I could have died because of this shabby tech along with others in the car.

This stupid “lack” of REAL blind spot protection in a 2022 car is just unacceptable. Even the cheapest cars, most analog car offer this these day!

I don't even understand the complaint here. What "blind spot" feature are you talking about? It sounds like you're referring to the in-car visualization, which should not be relied on to see cars in your blind spot. It does a decent job of highlighting a car in red when it sees one, but it's absolutely not intended to replace looking in your mirrors or over your shoulder - especially on the production (not FSD Beta) software, the visualizations are just not good. Especially on the S where you can't even swivel the visualization around to get more than a tiny sliver of view to rear sides. You can turn on the blind spot camera feed which is helpful, but that's just a display that frankly doesn't seem to be more useful than just properly adjusting your mirrors. And the car will also try to nudge you back into your lane if it senses you're about to merge into someone, but again, that's based on the software properly identifying another car.

The real answer is to adjust your mirrors - I don't know why Americans seem so intent on having blind spots in the first place. Properly adjusted side mirrors don't have blind spots. A quick head swivel to double check is all you need.

"I don't know why Americans seem so intent on having blind spots"

That's an odd statement.

To the OP, your technologically advanced car has the worst "blind spot" warning system. Surveilling a car's FSD actions is more work than it is worth, since you can simply drive the car with muscle memory and less brainpower.

Reactions: enemji and David29
"I don't know why Americans seem so intent on having blind spots"

That's an odd statement.

Because I guarantee OP has his mirrors set with the rear end of his car taking up the inner edge and as a result has a big ol' blindspot. This seems to be a uniquely American way of teaching people how to set their mirrors.

Reactions: enemji