Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with charging facelifted model s 75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an update, my FL Model S is still unable to charge on any medium charger made by "EV Power". Super chargers, medium chargers by EV-Link and normal 13As do work. I don't think Tesla and/or EV Power is working on a solution. So guys, if you see FL Model Ss hungry for electricity at the SC, please understand. ;)

Woohoo medium charging for my face lifted 70d at star ferry works this morning!

Attachments

• IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: Chong
I tried at north point govt office car park yesterday with no luck. The charging status on the box did show blue, my MS showed ready to charge but after 2 mins, the MS didnt show that it's receiving any electricity.

What I did at star ferry was that when I first plugged in and started charging it clicked and came up with the message "check charger power". I then pressed stop and then started again and the car made a double click sound and started charging.

Maybe it was fluke. Will try again later in the week.

What I did at star ferry was that when I first plugged in and started charging it clicked and came up with the message "check charger power". I then pressed stop and then started again and the car made a double click sound and started charging.

Maybe it was fluke. Will try again later in the week.

Tried again at star ferry today. Seems that medium charging at star ferry only works for facelift on the few evpower machines that were under repair with the masking tape all over it. I tried the other machines and same problem as others.

Well I tried to park my new FL there now with no luck charging on medium or standard. Had to pull out the 220v adapter. Now charging at 11km an hour... o_O

did you try the first two medium chargers on you come across in the star ferry car park, the ones with masking tape all over it and hung lower down? Those were the only ones which worked for me there for medium charging.

did you try the first two medium chargers on you come across in the star ferry car park, the ones with masking tape all over it and hung lower down? Those were the only ones which worked for me there for medium charging.

No, I haven't parked at star ferry car park yet. I'm typically charging on the slow charge at Murray, but it's only giving me 11km per hour, which on a day to day is ok, but if I've had a weekend of a lot of driving, it's hard to catch up, so I have to go to a super charger.

Frustrating that we can't charge on the 32A. Very frustrating. :confused::mad:

I agree. It's really frustrating especially when I used to park at star ferry daily. Thinking that I could use the 32A chargers, it would make a lot of sense to buy a MS. I'm totally relying on SC at the moment. It doesn't look like it's gonna change for the better as Tesla's maintenance guy told me that it's EVPower's issue and not theirs. Since it does work for older MS and it's full everyday of the week there isn't much incentive for them to fix it. I wonder if anyone has checked with EVPower before?

By the way, need some help to understand why my mileage is so low with every charge. I can understand that driving habits, quick acceleration, etc, drains the battery. But shouldnt this driving efficiency be reflected in the wh/km? If I multiply the actual distance travelled by the wh/km, don't I end up with the capacity of the MS? I have a 75. But that estimate of the capacity doesn't even come close to 75kwh when I'm nearing "empty" on my battery. Any idea why?

Got the new software update today for my HW2 MS. Not that I was expecting the update to make a difference on the charging issue, but I did try medium charging at Murray Bld, and it made no difference unfortunately. Still can't charge on medium there.

By the way, need some help to understand why my mileage is so low with every charge. I can understand that driving habits, quick acceleration, etc, drains the battery. But shouldnt this driving efficiency be reflected in the wh/km? If I multiply the actual distance travelled by the wh/km, don't I end up with the capacity of the MS? I have a 75. But that estimate of the capacity doesn't even come close to 75kwh when I'm nearing "empty" on my battery. Any idea why?
My MS FL60 has around 60% of estimating journey. On the other words, my car shows battery power for 100km journey but I just can travel around 60km (and then battery is exhaust!!)

Your car is probably set on rated range. Typical range is what you need to set it on as it reflects how you drive. Rated range is set for what Tesla advertises. You can divide your battery capacity by your Wh/km and that gives your range.

For example in your 60 you divide 60,000 by 200wh/km that gives you a 300 km range. In reality a 60 will actually have a useable capacity in the vicinity of 56,000.

Tesla Hong Kong reported that their engineer already collaborated with Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and vendors of the semi-quick chargers to solve the problem. The failing reason was the frequency of the current!! Some parts of the chargers would be replaced. Tesla staff said one of the chargers in Star Ferry Car Park was repaired. And, they should solve it as soon as possible.

Environment Bureau of the HKSAR said this was not their business. Their semi-quick chargers adopted European standard and my American Tesla car might not follow it. They never allowed Tesla and vendors to change the parts of the chargers after I told him what Tesla did. He also said I must liaised with Tesla to solve it. I pointed out that the semi-quick charger of my housing estate could charge-up both old and new car! The housing estate was managed by Hong Kong Housing Society which was a semi-government organization. Then, there was “dead air” for a several seconds. He was unable to explain this. Finally, he recorded the name of my housing estate and claimed he would follow up this issue.

WP_20161223_13_56_49_Rich.jpg
WP_20161223_13_56_49_Rich.jpg
WP_20161213_22_40_49_Rich (2).jpg

Environment Bureau of the HKSAR said this was not their business. Their semi-quick chargers adopted European standard and my American Tesla car might not follow it. ....
View attachment 215441 View attachment 215441 View attachment 215443

Maybe we should ask the number of European standards EV vs American standards EV registered in HK. Subject to their answer (which I believe its quote obvious), why did they adopt/permit the lesser numbers standard. How do they play their role of encouraging EV.