Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need help getting my dashcam working.

I picked up a new model 3 on Thursday and so far it’s perfect aside from the fact that no matter what I plug into the USB port in the glovebox the dashcam will not work.

I have tried different drives and usb sticks all formatted correctly and with the folder name but nothing works. I tried plugging an iPhone into the port and got no charge, is it possible that the USB port is not working?

cheers

I need help getting my dashcam working.

I picked up a new model 3 on Thursday and so far it’s perfect aside from the fact that no matter what I plug into the USB port in the glovebox the dashcam will not work.

I have tried different drives and usb sticks all formatted correctly and with the folder name but nothing works. I tried plugging an iPhone into the port and got no charge, is it possible that the USB port is not working?

cheers

Make sure you have formatted the USB to FAT32 and created a folder within the USB called TeslaCam

I have it formatted to Fat32 although the current software apparently also reads other formats. Nothing I plug in works at the moment.
Also I can’t find anywhere what charging cables were meant to come with the car. I have only a type 2 cable and nothing else. Also missing the mud flaps.

Also I can’t find anywhere what charging cables were meant to come with the car. I have only a type 2 cable and nothing else. Also missing the mud flaps.

You should have a (normally blue or grey in a clear vacuum sealed bag) type 2 cable with what looks to be similar plugs each end and, in a black fabric bag, the UMC with a standard domestic 13A/3 pin plug at one end, type 2 the car end and a plastic 'brick' near the 3 pin plug end.

I would recommend to anyone, prior to first use, that the type 2 cable is fully unwound otherwise getting any cable ties off when needed can be a pita.

I have it formatted to Fat32 although the current software apparently also reads other formats. Nothing I plug in works at the moment.
There's been a few reports of flaky connections to the glovebox usb a socket so it's possible that yours just doesn't work at all.

Suggest raising a single service request to fix this and include that you are missing the Tesla Mobile Connector and the Mudflaps

Charging Connectors

When i got my car, my USB sockets kept dying and i also had a problem with my drivers floor mat not fitting properly. I discovered the panel down the centre console wasn't fitting properly, one hard thump later it was into place and my USB sockets have been fine ever since, the mat fits properly too.

Well after thinking the latest bug fixing update fixed my issue.... no still the same issue. The dashcam icon Keeps dissapering. Its the stock USB drive that comes with the refresh model in the glovebox.Once I unplug and replug back in it works. But I have to do this everytime I drive.

You should have a (normally blue or grey in a clear vacuum sealed bag) type 2 cable with what looks to be similar plugs each end and, in a black fabric bag, the UMC with a standard domestic 13A/3 pin plug at one end, type 2 the car end and a plastic 'brick' near the 3 pin plug end.

I would recommend to anyone, prior to first use, that the type 2 cable is fully unwound otherwise getting any cable ties off when needed can be a pita.

Come on @SeniorChief - how can you disagree with this factually correct post in UK and Ireland sub forum?

Last edited:
Come on @SeniorChief - how can you disagree with this factually correct post in UK and Ireland sub forum?

It seems that sometimes our US cousins just disagree with posts in this forum because they just don't have a clue about the differences between here and the USA. It's happened to me, too. May well be because some just assume this is a US forum, rather than a UK and Ireland forum.

I've been tempted to go and post on the US forum about incorrect advice (from a European/UK perspective) regarding their split phase electrical systems, but life's too short!

• Love
Reactions: browellm and M3noob
It seems that sometimes our US cousins just disagree with posts in this forum because they just don't have a clue about the differences between here and the USA. It's happened to me, too. May well be because some just assume this is a US forum, rather than a UK and Ireland forum.

I've been tempted to go and post on the US forum about incorrect advice (from a European/UK perspective) regarding their split phase electrical systems, but life's too short!

Sadly, the standard normal distribution of IQ scores is global. Half are below the mean. Just because someone joins this forum and drives a Tesla doesn't automatically move them to the right side of the graph;););)

Reactions: browellm
I worked out why my dashcam / sentry wasn’t working.
The USB port in the glovebox was not connected to anything
Needed a full new computer installed, which didn’t work, so finally got the car back today with computer number 3 installed. It now shows the dashcam icon, but the sentry button for some reason is still greyed out.

I had the dashcam/sentry keep disappearing/appearing at random so I booked a service call. They accessed the car remotely then told me it was known fault that the USB socket didn't always talk to the car and software update 2021.4.10 would specifically sort it. I'm on 2021.4.6 There was no idea when .10 would be released.