Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with early production Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you everyone. I emailed the advisor about the latches.

Car has 1.0 AP. I went back and forth with this. This will be my wives car and truthfully I don't think she can even use 1.0. On the flip side, it's a $120k car which I got for $94k. Hope I didn't make a mistake.

Last week I finally got the call I was waiting for. The Tesla Regional Service Center manager called to tell me Tesla Managent in California had approved my request to be able to order a replacement Model X. They will be giving my a credit for the original amount paid along with the sales tax and registration fees. It will be reduced by a small fee for the 4,000 miles I have on the car. I will be responsible for any price difference between the old car and the new car. This will include going from a P90DL to a P100DL. I have also decided to go to the advanced autopilot with the self driving option. The Titanium Metalic is no longer available so am going with Red Multicoat. I had got it down to blue or red and red won out.

The total time at the service center was 177 days (including the time they were going to need to replace hatchback). This was to fix 40 issues and over 8 trips After I got it back from the last trip to the service center, three new problems developed (windshield wipers wouldn't automatically go on on during the rain, spoiler lost it's calibration, again, and rear seat wouldn't latch. It really was a lemon.

In order to keep my free Supercharger miles for life of the car I had to order my new car by no later than December 23rd and seven days later, December 30th the order wound be finalized.

I placed the order on the December 22nd just to be sure.This was my Christmas present from TESLA.

Here is what I ordered:

-> Model X P100D
-> ludicrous speed upgrade
-> upgraded red multi-coat paint
-> upgraded tan interior
-> tan leather seats
-> figured ash wood
-> light headliner
-> premium option
-> six seat option
-> active spoiler
-> Tesla Red brake calipers
-> smart air suspension
-> advanced autopilot option
-> full self driving option
-> upgraded radio
-> towing package
-> 72 amp charging
-> upgraded 20 inch silver helix wheels
They didn't just swap it out, and give you something equal (or better) for all your trouble? With your strong position and record of multiple problems, they should have offered to compensate you for the trouble. They should have given you the upgrades for free, but asked for you to sign a NDA.

I only say this because I have a lemon Model X as well. It has been in service for over 60 days since delivery in May. Every issue was well-documented by me before it went to the service center. The regional manager has stated that they will be replacing my Model X, but if they try to charge me for miles used on the car, or for other nonsense, I will absolutely be releasing all of my documentation publicly. It may do nothing, but with much of Tesla's market value being based on speculation, more bad news would be bad for the company. I love Tesla, I'm a big stockholder, but I will be furious if they try to charge me for anything that was not my fault. Here's hoping. Sorry they treated you the way.

I just purchased an inventory/demo car with a huge discount and 2000 miles on it. The vin is 26xx, so not the earliest, but not the latest. This thread is scaring the ***t out of me. I hope I didn't buy a $100k headache. On the positive side, SC is only 2 miles from my house.

The car is being prepped now. Should I tell them to replace latches before it's delivered?

Most likely all will be fine with no major issues. For issues you do have like door latches, seals, or similar, Tesla Service knows how to replace these with improved versions now. Just see what is wrong if anything over few months and have anything fixed/replaced.

I bought a VIN 8000 with 1200 miles on it, have had a few things fixed but it's still like new. Awesome car with the discount making it better.

You'll love the car

I have been given a March delivery for my P100DL which is the replacement car for my lemon P90DL. I have to pay for the upgraded battery, AP2.0 and Full autonomous features. Plus I have to pay $4k for the miles on my P90DL.
How did you put miles on it when it was in the shop for so long, I think Tesla should not make you pay for mileage. Maybe they should pay you for all the distress you went thru.

I have been given a March delivery for my P100DL which is the replacement car for my lemon P90DL. I have to pay for the upgraded battery, AP2.0 and Full autonomous features. Plus I have to pay $4k for the miles on my P90DL.

Agree on the miles payment. Tesla should just ignore those due to it being a lemon and all the pain of having it in shop all the time. Heck, they should actually allow for the new car, and give you a % discount off the new one if they were to honor their quality issues.

It only has 4K miles after almost 12 months. I agree it isn't fair but you will find Tesla doesn't treat it's customers fair. I communicate with about a dozen people who have gotten Tesla to let them reorder. For every person it has been a nightmare and a fight. There have been people who they have refused to allow to reorder. They have given everyone the same terms other than one person didn't have to pay for the miles as there were many items which weren't fixed from the beginning. I am still trying to get them to not charge for the miles as many of the miles were put on by Tesla. The big thing is you have to also pay for all the price increases. The difference between a fully loaded P90DL purchased in December 2016 and a P100DL purchased today is $25k.

It only has 4K miles after almost 12 months. I agree it isn't fair but you will find Tesla doesn't treat it's customers fair. I communicate with about a dozen people who have gotten Tesla to let them reorder. For every person it has been a nightmare and a fight. There have been people who they have refused to allow to reorder. They have given everyone the same terms other than one person didn't have to pay for the miles as there were many items which weren't fixed from the beginning. I am still trying to get them to not charge for the miles as many of the miles were put on by Tesla. The big thing is you have to also pay for all the price increases. The difference between a fully loaded P90DL purchased in December 2016 and a P100DL purchased today is $25k.
I can understand both sides and why they make sense. If it isn't a hassle and beneficial for you, you can always consult a lemon law expert and make sure this is all fair, assuming you're not an expert or lawyer.

I've never had to go through this, but I've noticed it can be rough, especially since it's a significant cost to the manufacture. Either way though, you've worked for your money and deserve to be happy with how you're spending it, no matter how big or small the reason.