Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with early production Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering how many of those who took delivery in January-March are still having issues. My car was one of the first cars off of the production line, probably mabe the first or second day production started. In the first ten months I have had the car it has been in for service seven times for a total of over five months at the service center. Even though I love the Model X, I hate that it constantly has problems. I won't go over all of the problems. Even though some of the issues are minor it still means having to have it serviced. For example the car has been at the service center for the last two weeks. The driver's seat wasn't able to go forward or backwards. Even though this wasn't an issue for me my wife couldn't reach the peddles. Also the driving lights and headlights were out on the right side of the car which meant we couldn't drive at night.I have not been given a date when the work will be finished. In addition they have told me since the hatchback is misaligned it will require the replacement of the entire hatchback assembly. Once the assembly arrives they say they will need my car at least 6 weeks to do the replacement. This is our only car. I only have 3,000 on the car after the 10 months.

After paying $155k for my P90DL I am a very frustrated Tesla Owner.

Damn brother I am sorry. A driver seat which won't move is not just a minor problem. I'm genuinely dismayed stuff like this is happening to you a full year after launch. And six weeks for hatchback replacement after having your car out of service a total of five months already is not cool. At this point in your shoes I would be seeking compensation from Tesla as some sort of goodwill gesture.

March delivery (VIN 15xx). Here are/were my problems:
  • 3rd row seat backs they replaced
  • Front door latches - I had no problems but they replaced them
  • Key fob that kept locking up - they replaced them
  • Loose side marker light - replaced
  • Missing high amp charger - they put in the new one
  • Rattle in passenger FWD - fixed with padding
  • Some small door alignment issues - better than most Model X's I have seen and about the same as new Model S's
  • Poor support for USB drive on V8.0 - getting better and now a bit better than what was delivered in 7.1
  • Cross wind noise on drivers window in back - still an issue.

Last edited:
As an update.

I send a request to the Tesla Regional Manager requesting an update. It has been over three weeks and no response. As info a week ago I had an appointment with the Service Center manager. About an hour before the meeting he canceled as he said he was running late. I told him no problem I could come later. He then said he would not be able to meet that day. I had already told him I was flying the next day to be with family for Thanksgiving. I just feel he is avoiding me.

I also received a message from a Reuters News Service reporter. This person works for the Transportation Editor. They are interested in doing a story my experience with my Tesla. I first thought "no way" as not only do I own a Tesla but I own a considerable amount of Tesla stock most of which I purchased when it was in the $30's. If I don't I hear some good news from them within a few days maybe this is what it will take for Tesla to do the right thing.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
As an update.

I send a request to the Tesla Regional Manager requesting an update. It has been over three weeks and no response. As info a week ago I had an appointment with the Service Center manager. About an hour before the meeting he canceled as he said he was running late. I told him no problem I could come later. He then said he would not be able to meet that day. I had already told him I was flying the next day to be with family for Thanksgiving. I just feel he is avoiding me.

I also received a message from a Reuters News Service reporter. This person works for the Transportation Editor. They are interested in doing a story my experience with my Tesla. I first thought "no way" as not only do I own a Tesla but I own a considerable amount of Tesla stock most of which I purchased when it was in the $30's. If I don't I hear some good news from them within a few days maybe this is what it will take for Tesla to do the right thing.
Service manager cannot make the decision that you need, also I would not go to the media. Work with Tesla to get to your desired outcome. Keep calling or e-mailing the Regional Manager until you get a response, if it is not what you want ask to speak to his superior. Just remember you will get a better response if you stay reasonable and honey is better than acid.

Several of you requested I update you on the status of my "defective" Model X. It took almost three weeks but I finally got an email from Tesla Regional Management. saying "We are working at getting you into a new car and will be providing you some options next week." I am a little concerned as to the way it is worded but hopefully I will have more and better news next week.

I still don't have my Model X back, it has now been in service for three weeks. It seems that three weeks has been the average time it takes to analyze a problem, order and get in the parts and fix the issues.

I will let you know what happens.

Several of you requested I update you on the status of my "defective" Model X. It took almost three weeks but I finally got an email from Tesla Regional Management. saying "We are working at getting you into a new car and will be providing you some options next week." I am a little concerned as to the way it is worded but hopefully I will have more and better news next week.

I still don't have my Model X back, it has now been in service for three weeks. It seems that three weeks has been the average time it takes to analyze a problem, order and get in the parts and fix the issues.

Thats awesome, I assume that means you will get autopilot 2.0 as well?

That's a good news! hopefully they will give you $8000 Full Self-Driving Capability options for free as a compensation of loss of use for 5 months.

I am surprised folks have not used lemon laws to return these early x models. I mean there were more than a handful that just should not have been sold.
It isn't easy to make that jump for any number of reasons:
  • Some people don't like the stigma associated with filing a lemon law complaint.
  • Some include the context of the newest successful automaker breaking new ground
  • Some love the car despite these issues and feel confident they're just one service center visit away from flawless
  • Some have an emotional connection to a car they spent years anticipating
However, your point is well taken. The most logical decision, when considering only the best interest of the consumer, would be to follow along with replacement proceedings one way or another.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18 and ModelX
It isn't easy to make that jump for any number of reasons:
  • Some people don't like the stigma associated with filing a lemon law complaint.
  • Some include the context of the newest successful automaker breaking new ground
  • Some love the car despite these issues and feel confident they're just one service center visit away from flawless
  • Some have an emotional connection to a car they spent years anticipating
However, your point is well taken. The most logical decision, when considering only the best interest of the consumer, would be to follow along with replacement proceedings one way or another.

Yes it would just be logical to initiate that process, get the money back, and then go buy a new one.

Reactions: Darryl
Just found a new issue. I parked my X outside on a cold night. The next morning I turned on the rear window defroster and nothing happened. Not even a little. I took to the SC and they ran a voltage meter to the window which showed not enough voltage coming through. Now they are replacing the entire rear windshield. VIN in the 1800s -delivery in March.

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan
I just wanted to report that I picked my MX up last Friday. I would have to say they have tremendously improved on quality. It was as perfect as to be expected. The fit and finish is perfect. No alignment issues. Every function performed as expected. I would like to thank the early adopters for forcing Telsa to get it right. It seems to be working. I suspect that they are rejecting more vehicles off the line if they don't meet a higher quality standard. I feel sorry for the folks who MXs enter production to find out they started over. But, it makes sense to put quality ahead of delivery.

Hey Darryl - i also had an early production X with never ending issues - most with systems that shouldn't have had issues as they werent new technologies (a/c, drive motor, windows, etc). Tesla did get around to swapping out a newer X for me but it did take several months of back and forth - mostly with me continuing to push the issue. but in the end Tesla did the right thing and took the problematic vehicle back and giving me a newer production vehicle. The new X hasn't had any major issues yet.. the windows still squeak like crazy when i open them but i can live with that. Good luck.

I was wondering how many of those who took delivery in January-March are still having issues. My car was one of the first cars off of the production line, probably mabe the first or second day production started. In the first ten months I have had the car it has been in for service seven times for a total of over five months at the service center. Even though I love the Model X, I hate that it constantly has problems. I won't go over all of the problems. Even though some of the issues are minor it still means having to have it serviced. For example the car has been at the service center for the last two weeks. The driver's seat wasn't able to go forward or backwards. Even though this wasn't an issue for me my wife couldn't reach the peddles. Also the driving lights and headlights were out on the right side of the car which meant we couldn't drive at night.I have not been given a date when the work will be finished. In addition they have told me since the hatchback is misaligned it will require the replacement of the entire hatchback assembly. Once the assembly arrives they say they will need my car at least 6 weeks to do the replacement. This is our only car. I only have 3,000 on the car after the 10 months.

After paying $155k for my P90DL I am a very frustrated Tesla Owner.
Hopefully you have a loaner from Tesla. Also this is not okay. You should ask them to buy the vehicle back from you and build you a new one. My 90d was delivered in May and its back at the service center for the 3rd time to get fixed 4th time if you count a test drive to figure out the problem. List of my problems.
Misaligned FWD'S FIXED BEST THEY COULD
front sensors detecting obstacles but the cant reproduce this when it is in for service. NOT FIXED
Squeaking front passenger door. NOT Fixed
Cracking sounds come from FWD'S when opening and closing FIXED
Condensation in all rear brake lights. FIXED
X is currently getting fixed for a shudder from the front of the vehicle when passing 40mph.

A car should not have to go back so many times in the first 6 months of ownership. I love my X for the tech that it is but the build quality was not good. A little more info after taking delivery I noticed a scratch in the molding/leather material on the door frame. I was so excited to get the X that I didn't see it when they gave me the car. I didn't even bother bringing it back because i already signed for the car and they would say it happened after I drove off.
Anyway if my X has to go back again after this lastest time I am going to weigh my options.

Last edited:
March build (Sig169). Been to SC three times. One more coming up. Every one has been for a minor problem for which a better part/solution had been developed. Fog light assembly, charge port door, front door latch. The rest of the glitches fixed by software. Your's sounds like a true lemon (which happens) and agree that at some point you need to put your foot down.

I am a long Bull on tesla stock and want to close the final door of my BP oil spill long term goals. I got solar panels on the house in 2013, now I want to get a MX rather than wait for the MIII. I know from tracking Tesla, that they/Elon tends to get out ahead of issues/problems. I also heard about the poor reviews on the MX from consumer reports.
Here is the deal. I had hoped to get an MX B4 30 Dec 16; however, I did not make enough selling myself on the corner, and have to wait for March 2017. My wife said that at sixty-seven I should have kept my day job:)
How are the current MX computers on wheels? Okay, the current models? Has Tesla gone to school in true fashion by correcting the problems?
I am getting rid of the Prius first and hope the Tacoma is next or follows shortly.
What say you?

Dear Darryl,

I too have an early production X (vin 0006xx) delivered in March, and had 8 service appointments and about 2 months of service time in the first 5-6 months of ownership. I had every color loaner but titanium. I was very frustrated with the number of different kinds of issues and large number of parts/systems being replaced. I didn't trust the car as I was stranded more than once. I insisted Tesla buy back my X and replace it. I made the request formally before the seventh visit and discussed the lemon law with them at the eighth visit. I love the car, but I don't believe they had the build process figured out when this vehicle came off the line.

I am happy to say that they are doing the right thing and the new X is ordered. It took over a month for the request to be reviewed by upper management. I was told that "it has to go all the way to the top." I will warn you that it is a VERY long process, but this is Tesla. Everything is a very long process. I initiated this in October and am told I have a new build slot this month. I have been very impressed with my local service center's efforts to make this right with each visit, and it is clear to me that they were frustrated with the learning curve for the X too. They confirmed for me that newer builds have been much better. Many owners I have met at superchargers report very positive experiences with their newer Model Xs. I am hopeful that my new car will be the car I am excited to drive and can trust. Sadly, the current car brings me more stress than joy.

Since taking delivery my Model X P90DL has been at SC 165 days (8 visits.) The Regional Manager has agreed this is unacceptable but still needs his bosses ok to proceed with allowing me to order new one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Since taking delivery my Model X P90DL has been at SC 165 days (8 visits.) The Regional Manager has agreed this is unacceptable but still needs his bosses ok to proceed with allowing me to order new one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Your situation is much worse than mine. I have been into the SC four times since I took delivery on 25AUG2016. They've fixed the 7 or so issues I've had and the turn around time has been alright. Still frustrating though since it's all within three or so months. Just last night though the other FWD started to act weird. I'm hoping it was just the snow...