Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with fuse on Roadster 1.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This is just a note to share my service experience. I took the Roadster in for an annual service and cleaning. When I got home it wouldn't charge (at all with the CAN Sr or the 115 v cable). I wish I had noted the errors better but there were a few different messages such as "Charging Problem," "PowerTrain Problem," and something related to inadequate charging power.

I prayed that it was just a fuse and limped back to the service center. They checked it out and found that it was, in fact, a blown fuse. They ordered the fuse and had everything back in business a couple of days later. The price seemed steep for a fuse ($662) but not too shocking (see attached image).

The service center (in Owings Mills, Maryland) folks are great and seem to have a lot of familiarity with the Roadster. The car has been generally problem free (touch wood).

Cheers,
Paul

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 3.29.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 3.29.21 PM.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I bought a few dozen of those fuses from Ebay for less than $20 each. it is a common problem and only takes about 30 minutes to fix, so yeah, $662 is a little steep. When the car cost over $100K people expected expensive repairs, but now when these cars can be bought for less than $40K, those expensive simple repairs will continue to drive used prices down.

That is great to know. Next time I'll check here first for advice!

I don't mind paying experts to do things that they're expert at (a couple of hours of diagnostics and repair) but the markup for the part is outrageous.

I had those fuses replaced under warranty when my Roadster was new. At the time you could buy the fuses for under $100 from Mouser or Digikey. Like @MLAUTO said, about 1/2 hr to test and replace. Since the fuses are in the PEM (sort of) I suppose we should give Tesla credit for not making you replace the whole PEM.