Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with Hansshow Support

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
I don't think all parts made in China are necessarily bad. I believe the TeslaOffer kits are also made there but they seem to be much more reliable and better designed than the Hansshow ones. Also I think there are some parts of the car itself that are made in China like the touchscreen and there hasn't been a widespread issue of poor quality.

MsgFin

Mar 25, 2021
Canada
As to how they fix a seized frunk, I was asking service advisor the other day his opinion on the power frunk kits, and he told me they had a vehicle come in after it couldn't open and they had to disassemble from underneath removing parts until they could access the latch.

scramjet

Jun 1, 2019
Vancouver, BC
I have the power frunk kit and it's been working fine for me. I did have an issue at one point and their support was not bad and got it resolved. I guess it's just luck sometimes.

Regarding the frunk being stuck closed, their kit comes with an emergency latch pull string which mechanically opens the hanshow portion so its weird that didn't work for you.

Reactions: HeyEph

Petermcg

Sep 26, 2018
Apex, NC
I have the power frunk kit and it's been working fine for me. I did have an issue at one point and their support was not bad and got it resolved. I guess it's just luck sometimes.

Regarding the frunk being stuck closed, their kit comes with an emergency latch pull string which mechanically opens the hanshow portion so its weird that didn't work for you.
Yes, it was extremely frustrating that the mechanical pull wouldn’t release the latch. That’s the very reason it exists. I tested it out when I installed it and it worked fine, but failed when I needed it most. Hansshow had no suggestions.

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
I really don't get such short-term thinking by a company that retails goods and looks at profit/loss on a transactional basis. Seems if they are not making money on a particular transaction they stop providing service on that sale. This short-term approach makes me shy away from anything they sell that could be affected by Tesla OTA updates as it would appear they would not likely continue developing firmware to address the OTA changes. TeslaOffer on the other hand continues to update the firmware for their trunk/frunk kits to continuously improve their product and keep these upgrades on a public github page. I recently downloaded and installed their latest trunk firmware with an 'anti-pinch' feature where previously if the trunk is blocked while closing it simply stops but now it after stopping it then goes back up to full open.

Reactions: Pho3k

Pedro Castejon

May 24, 2021
Spain
My experience with their support was good. I have the "Power Frunk and Trunk" and the "Auto Door Handle". After installation, one of the handles did not work properly. They sent me a controller box and got it resolved.

techlogik

Mar 22, 2021
Tampa
ROFL...sorry. One of those things where its a solution looking for a problem. Got what you deserved in a sense. Gheez....

Let me just say this, with a bunch of experience dealing with some SE Asian manufacturing....this is a big tip off of potential warranty problems and response.

Guangzhou, China

This isn't racist, this is just a fact and nature of manufacturing out of that area. Ask anybody with years of experience with this large coastal manufacturing district/port/city in China. Trust me, first hand with carbon fiber products in a different industry and LED technology. Not related to cars in anyway.

Hoololly

Nov 20, 2019
Nashville, TN
Here to say I've had a similar issue with the Hansshow Trunk kit.

tl;dr Unless you are prepared to do all the installation yourself and then be Hansshow's unpaid labor to troubleshoot their failed product for them, run away.

I bought the frunk and trunk kit with toe kick combo at a Black Friday sale in 2019. Installed the frunk kit myself in a few hours. It was pretty straightforward, and it still works fine. However, I got a little intimidated with the trunk kit so took it to a local professional in Jan/Feb 2020. Worked fine for about 8 months.

Trunk kit stopped working in October. Contacted Hansshow, they said they needed more information about what precisely wasn't working. (I mean, it's supposed to open and close the trunk. It will close the trunk, but not open it. Sorry I can't be more specific than that.) So I took it back to the installer who fiddled with it and sent me both a video and a written description of what's mechanically misfiring. Despite all that, Hansshow customer service refused to even discuss the issue. They just said I HAD to do live troubleshooting via Whatsapp with one of their engineers. Well, I'm in no position to do it, and my installer already donated their time to thoroughly document the problem and wasn't really inclined to chase it further. So after weeks of going back and forth with Hansshow, I just asked the installer to disconnect the power and put the OEM latch back on so it would at least open and close. (It was going to be way more labor (i.e. $$) to take the whole thing back out than just to disconnect it.) As he went to disconnect power, apparently the close mechanism triggered, and as it was pulling the trunk closed, one of the lift struts popped off the hinge and shattered my rear windshield 😐 And of course by this point, we were in early pandemic and I couldn't get an appointment to the windshield replaced for, like, a month.

So, a year + later, I'm out over $2000 dollars (for the trunk kit with toe kick, original installation cost, and replacement windshield), and all I have to show for it is a trunk that exceptionally difficult to close.

Given the feedback on this thread, I'm inclined to take out the working frunk kit, the FUBAR trunk kit, and replace both with TOs, but I'm still feeling snakebit.

Reactions: Pho3k and badiban

smatthew

Jun 9, 2018
CA Bay Area
Here to say I've had a similar issue with the Hansshow Trunk kit.

tl;dr Unless you are prepared to do all the installation yourself and then be Hansshow's unpaid labor to troubleshoot their failed product for them, run away.

I bought the frunk and trunk kit with toe kick combo at a Black Friday sale in 2019. Installed the frunk kit myself in a few hours. It was pretty straightforward, and it still works fine. However, I got a little intimidated with the trunk kit so took it to a local professional in Jan/Feb 2020. Worked fine for about 8 months.

Trunk kit stopped working in October. Contacted Hansshow, they said they needed more information about what precisely wasn't working. (I mean, it's supposed to open and close the trunk. It will close the trunk, but not open it. Sorry I can't be more specific than that.) So I took it back to the installer who fiddled with it and sent me both a video and a written description of what's mechanically misfiring. Despite all that, Hansshow customer service refused to even discuss the issue. They just said I HAD to do live troubleshooting via Whatsapp with one of their engineers. Well, I'm in no position to do it, and my installer already donated their time to thoroughly document the problem and wasn't really inclined to chase it further. So after weeks of going back and forth with Hansshow, I just asked the installer to disconnect the power and put the OEM latch back on so it would at least open and close. (It was going to be way more labor (i.e. $$) to take the whole thing back out than just to disconnect it.) As he went to disconnect power, apparently the close mechanism triggered, and as it was pulling the trunk closed, one of the lift struts popped off the hinge and shattered my rear windshield 😐 And of course by this point, we were in early pandemic and I couldn't get an appointment to the windshield replaced for, like, a month.

So, a year + later, I'm out over $2000 dollars (for the trunk kit with toe kick, original installation cost, and replacement windshield), and all I have to show for it is a trunk that exceptionally difficult to close.

Given the feedback on this thread, I'm inclined to take out the working frunk kit, the FUBAR trunk kit, and replace both with TOs, but I'm still feeling snakebit.
Don't defenestrate the frunk kit! Hansshow support is awful, but the frunk kit is fairly bulletproof. Not like the trunk kit where they want you to fish wires through a bent rubber sleeve and NOT damage any of the 24awg wires already in that sleeve. Good luck! At least the replacement Tesla trunk harness is only $70.
ps: There's no need to fish wires into the trunk hood. That whole harness has a connector.. and a bypass harness utilizing that connector would be safer and easier to install. But that's not how other vehicles do it, so HansShow just barely adapted a previous product, rather than re-imagining how it could be better.....

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
The Tesla Offer kit requires that you fish a wire through too, but they use a second control box so you basically only need to fish one wire with a relatively small connector - so it's less work than the Hansshow kit, where as far as I know you have to reinsert wires into a connector once you've pulled the wire(s) through, which is a bit of a cruddy install experience imo.

The idea of tapping in to the existing harness is an interesting one. I wonder why neither of them do that given that they tap in to plenty of other connectors and provide their own ones to plug in instead.

bo3bdar

Feb 21, 2021
Silicon Valley
With regard to Hannshow, I don't have direct experience, but I did just read that 74 page thread on the Hannshow audio upgrades. From start to finish. The gory details were that they shipped broken versions of their cable to people and used them as unwitting beta testers. I mean they literally shipped cables with speakers and phases swapped. That tells me that they did exactly zero QA on the product, never even tested it once. Whereas, I'm expecting it was plugged into a continuity and polarity tester before it's shipped. That's a deal breaker for me, this thread is confirmation that it's not a real company.

That's tempered ever so slightly by their finalized current version of the full upgrade appears to be working correctly and well for new buyers. And they were responsive and worked with people to solve their problems. That's a plus, but they did waste a lot of people's time and even plagiarized people's photos that were working through the problems. It feels like they are trying to do the right thing, but our expectations are higher than theirs.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC