Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with hv battery need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things like this may kill Tesla used car purchases. Could affect new car sales as well
That’s my fear, too, as the owner of a 6.5 yo MS. Was planning to keep for 10+ years.

Planning now to sell before the 8 year warranty runs out so a buyer has confidence and can look to Tesla to fix a problem like this.

I understand people can be jerks, but it is possible the prior owner was unaware and sold the car “as is” and doesn’t want to grant a retroactive discount/warranty after handing the car over.

I’ve certainly seen a few YouTube videos of people abusing/ crashing 1-day old cars…

I don’t run a car company so people at Tesla probably know better than me, but it seems that Tesla should stop getting in the way of people fixing their own cars. Things like buying parts, diagnostics, and redeploying software after repairs should be freely accessible to owners. I still recommend Teslas when friends and family ask, but now my recommendation comes with qualifications on service quality and a lack of support post warranty. Tesla’s treatment of their customers is hard for me to understand.

Reactions: BigNick
Agree with all of this. About a year ago, I was likely to buy another Tesla but know I will do what it takes to not get another one. And I tell everyone who asks me that same thing.
I think I will probably roll the dice after the 8 year warranty but it will be tough if someone is willing to give me $20k, I will probably sell.
I treat my battery great and on original DUs. I have 24 months left in warranty.
I suppose know is a good time to sell a used S. Before the word gets out, while the new S's are hopelessly delayed, and the chip shortage....

There is a gaping hole in the marketplace for electric car battery insurance. Someone please step in! Should be Tesla, since only they know the failure rates.

That said, I'm a non-Tesla owner considering buying a well-used refresh, and planning to have to replace the 75 kwh battery after 5-15 years, out of warranty... eyes wide open. But I figure gas savings, ICE-repair avoidance, and fun factor make up for saving up for the battery replacement. Maybe a wash though :( Except for the enjoyment factor (I imagine) :)

YMMV. Anecdotally, in my (almost) 6 years with an S, I have spent more on non-covered or out-of-warranty repairs and maintenance than the combined service and repair costs of my previous two ICE vehicles for their combined 14 (6.5+7.5) years of ownership.

Sorry that it hasn't been too low maintenance. I'm hoping that by buying a combination of high mileage vehicle + refresh, the previous owner will have had most of those items replaced (except for display, probably), and Tesla has worked out some of the other kinks in the refresh (except the screen). I also don't make $195/hour at any job or hobby, so I also figure it's probably worth my time to take a crack at some of the easier to repair items (door handles). But we'll see.