Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with hv battery need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone I just bought a 2012 P 85 model from this guy in Sacramento and now he is not responding to my call or anything I am doing the paperwork through BBB to sue him but nothing has done for me so The car is giving me a lot of problems since I bought it and drove back within 15 minutes of buying a vehicle so I brought it to Tesla dealership nearby to do a diagnostic and they told me a high voltage battery replacement is needed which is $17,000 this is so frustrated And the warranty is Just pass over four months Anyone with any tips or ideas that can help me is my first time buying a Tesla and this happened to me don’t know what to do so I can never charge the vehicle over 20 mile or percent it keeps showing a a charge complete but it’s at only 20% and even if I unplug and plug it back still the same is showing charge complete right away and the error message when I drove the vehicle is vehicle powering reduce vehicle shut down and cannot drive
Please help me with this issue because I’m over depressed about this car that I spent $21,000 buying it and not even drive for an hour Long thank you For your help

Attachments

• 2571F5DD-BD0E-4178-9CE0-1930DB33C0F6.png
    2571F5DD-BD0E-4178-9CE0-1930DB33C0F6.png
    679.4 KB · Views: 208
Aww man. I feel for you. I suspect, though, that unless you were given some kind of explicit warranty, you’re SOL - although I’m not familiar with any CA-specific rules that may apply. Bottom line is you bought a nine year old, 130k-mile out-of-warranty luxury car and now it’s broken - that’s a cr@ppy but not uncommon experience across many brands.

There are third parties out there who can perhaps repair or swap the battery for you for rather less cost than if you get Tesla to do it. Forum search (and google) is your friend.

Good luck!

PS you might want to redact your personal details from the document you posted, particularly if you’re still going down the BBB / legal route.

Reactions: cwerdna and AMPd
A purchase from a private party is almost always as-is, so the onus is on you, the buyer, to review the auto before purchase. As you've learned, witnessing that the vehicle could accept a full charge prior to purchase would be a key part of that.

That said, if you want to force the issue, if you paid by any method which has a stop payment or cancellation process, do so immediately. If you signed a bill of sale or any sort of purchase agreement, you may be breaching that agreement, but the seller may choose to take the car back and try to sell to the next guy rather than spend money on legally enforcing the sale.

If you have copies or can still access the listing/ad, including any verbiage or communications about the condition of the vehicle that misled you (i.e. the listing explicitly says the battery has remaining warranty and/or the battery has no errors and no degradation), archive them immediately. You would want to speak to a lawyer familiar with CA law to see if there are any legal routes to pursue for false advertising/disclosure.

Good luck.

Reactions: cwerdna
Your only real legal recourse would be if the seller provided proof to you (in writing, photos, etc...) that the car was fully operational when you took ownership of it which would constitute misrepresentation. Even that may be difficult to prove as any private sale is usually as-is with no warranty at all.

Like others mentioned, if the car was advertised as fully functional and getting 'x' number of miles on a charge I'd try to stop/reverse the payment if possible and let the seller come after you for breach of contract.

There are third-party companies that can refurbish/repair Tesla batteries at a much lower cost than what Tesla will charge. I'd check them out as well.

So the seller did not inform you about any battery issues?
Did you confirm that the vehicle charged to 100% and what the range is? Usually people buying a Tesla ask what the range shows at 100% to gauge the battery degradation.

Unfortunately you’re most likely SOL.

Was this from a dealer? If so, the dealer was legally required to offer you a 2-day contract cancellation option agreement. If it was a private party, then you probably have no recourse, though if Tesla can provide you with evidence (e.g. previous logs) that the seller should reasonably have known that the HV battery was dying, then you might have a fraud case. I would definitely contact an attorney ASAP.

Was this from a dealer? If so, the dealer was legally required to offer you a 2-day contract cancellation option agreement. If it was a private party, then you probably have no recourse
Yep, on used car dealers, the two-day contract cancellation option agreement is something a used car dealer would charge $ for (search Car Buyer's Bill of Rights - California DMV for cancellation).

OP's story is a cautionary tale about buying out of warranty vehicles, esp for so much $. In comparison, used '17 Bolts w/a bit less range can be had for much less $ and have battery and EV system warranties that are 8 years/100K miles from original in-service date. So, unless one gets something w/really high mileage, there's still some warranty on EV bits and battery pack left.

Reactions: nicedrum
Hi everyone I just bought a 2012 P 85 model from this guy in Sacramento and now he is not responding to my call or anything I am doing the paperwork through BBB to sue him but nothing has done for me so The car is giving me a lot of problems since I bought it and drove back within 15 minutes of buying a vehicle so I brought it to Tesla dealership nearby to do a diagnostic and they told me a high voltage battery replacement is needed which is $17,000 this is so frustrated And the warranty is Just pass over four months Anyone with any tips or ideas that can help me is my first time buying a Tesla and this happened to me don’t know what to do so I can never charge the vehicle over 20 mile or percent it keeps showing a a charge complete but it’s at only 20% and even if I unplug and plug it back still the same is showing charge complete right away and the error message when I drove the vehicle is vehicle powering reduce vehicle shut down and cannot drive
Please help me with this issue because I’m over depressed about this car that I spent $21,000 buying it and not even drive for an hour Long thank you For your help

I can't help you with the legal issue. There's a risk when buying a Tesla out of warranty that you might have to pay to repair it without a warranty. I hope you can return the car.

In the meantime, you can check if you can get a cheaper price from:

You'll have to ship your car to them but it might be cheaper overall to use them.

Reactions: KryoPhoenix209
Is it purchased from dealer?
If yes you can try contacting attorney to see what can be done & if you buy it from private party I don't think you can get anything out of it.

Buying car from private party has it's pros & cons.This is the risk we are willing to take for saving some money.

For what I noticed price of the car itself seems like fire sale.At this point you can find someone who can repair the battery or seriously considering parting it out to recoupe your money.

I feel sorry for your experience.

“This guy” and “no longer responding” means it was a private sale, so no expressed warranties whatsoever unfortunately unless OP got things in writing. Sorry you got scammed OP.
But yeah, I’d delete the attachment with all your personal info. Serves no purpose.

That sucks, @Coungk8591, and I understand your emotions. But I wouldn't let it consume my life. Keep calm and plan the best course of action, which might be finding an independent shop, as others suggested above, to drop the battery and identify the issue. If it turns out to be a dead cell or BMS board, it can be as low as $5k to fix the problem. Best of luck!