Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with My Model 3 and the fix.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an issue popping up occassionally. Car is a Sept 2019 built Model 3 Performance about 1,500-2,000 miles when the issue started.
At slow speeds like in a parking lot if I let off of the throttle too fast as soon as regen kicked in it would feel like the front wheels would lock up and it would feel like the front end dropped into 2 potholes simultaneously even though there were no holes. The warning lights would light up like a Christmas tree. Telling me the ABS, Cruise Control, Auto Steering, Traction Control etc were disabled. Regen didn't work and it was like driving an old car with no electronics. Getting out of the car until it shut off and locked, then getting back in would reset all the lights and everything would work like normal.

The service center remote diagnosed it as being an issue with the wheel speed sensor. At first they thought it's possible a pack rat or something got in and chewed on the wire. After they looked at it they determined that it hadn't been chewed on and replaced the wheel speed sensor. After replacing the sensor the problem remained. After further dismantling the found a section of the harness between the wheel speed sensor and the ABS module that had rubbed on the drive unit. When I would put the car in reverse or slow down it would touch the drive unit. They replaced the wire and everything is fine now.

A video of me talking about the issue on the way to pick the car back up.

Attachments

• 20191022_021356.jpg
    20191022_021356.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Sounds like a wire harness hold down was missing or broken, allowing the wires to be chafed. While removing my front wheel well shields there were several missing clips. Then after getting the shields off I noticed that one of the rigid brake lines was not secured in the plastic clip intended to secure it to the frame. I’m 100% sure it did not pop out on it’s own because I had to spread the clip to snap the line in. These small quality control issues should be easily avoided. Properly secured brake lines and wire harnesses should be high priority items.

I had an issue popping up occassionally. Car is a Sept 2019 built Model 3 Performance about 1,500-2,000 miles when the issue started.
At slow speeds like in a parking lot if I let off of the throttle too fast as soon as regen kicked in it would feel like the front wheels would lock up and it would feel like the front end dropped into 2 potholes simultaneously even though there were no holes. The warning lights would light up like a Christmas tree. Telling me the ABS, Cruise Control, Auto Steering, Traction Control etc were disabled. Regen didn't work and it was like driving an old car with no electronics. Getting out of the car until it shut off and locked, then getting back in would reset all the lights and everything would work like normal.

The service center remote diagnosed it as being an issue with the wheel speed sensor. At first they thought it's possible a pack rat or something got in and chewed on the wire. After they looked at it they determined that it hadn't been chewed on and replaced the wheel speed sensor. After replacing the sensor the problem remained. After further dismantling the found a section of the harness between the wheel speed sensor and the ABS module that had rubbed on the drive unit. When I would put the car in reverse or slow down it would touch the drive unit. They replaced the wire and everything is fine now.

A video of me talking about the issue on the way to pick the car back up.

Huracan owner was miffed at you for beating him, so he got his revenge by yanking on the harness behind the wheel speed sensor.

Should this fix be covered under warranty? Having mine repaired next week on my 4 month old car after hitting a bump on a road.
Impossible to say without more information. If the wheel speed sensor is damaged due to outside influence then it is certainly not warranty, as it is not a manufacturer defect. Based on the info you provided it sounds like it's probably not warranty.

I've chewed through three wheel speed sensors running wide wheels and tires. I paid for them all. Now I double zip-tie them so it doesn't happen again.

Impossible to say without more information. If the wheel speed sensor is damaged due to outside influence then it is certainly not warranty, as it is not a manufacturer defect. Based on the info you provided it sounds like it's probably not warranty.

I've chewed through three wheel speed sensors running wide wheels and tires. I paid for them all. Now I double zip-tie them so it doesn't happen again.
Where do you zip tie it too? Do you have a photo by chance. Having trouble visualizing it.