Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with new wheels and tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I am having with a new set of wheels and tires I ordered for my RWD model 3 LR. I recently took them to a shop to have them mounted and balanced but the shop told me the front tires do not meet the load index. The front tires are Toyo proxes sport 245-35-20 with a load index of 95Y. The front of the vehicle weighs 2,447lbs and each tire can hold 1,521lbs, so it would seem to me that it should be fine. The kicker is.. they said if my car was the performance version they would be fine. This makes no sense because a P3D weighs more. I appreciate any insight and if anyone wouldn't mind posting a pic of their P3D door placard minus the vin. Thank you

Ask if you can sign a liability and warranty waiver. That's your only hope since they're rightly worried about liability.

Of course, I must recommend you get appropriately rated tires for load rating. They need to deal with weight once loaded (passengers, their stuff), not just the weight of the car alone.

Reactions: Msjulie
That's a good suggestion and I did, but unfortunately they still said they couldn't. Thats very true and can add quite a bit of weight but I thought it was really weird that they would have been fine on a P3D. I'm hoping someone will be able to post their placard so I can see the weight difference.

The tires that come on the 20" rims in the performance package models have a load index of only 92 (1389 lbs) instead of 98 (1653 lbs). This is likely why they said if it was a performance model, they could mount them, since it would exceed original equipment ratings. The GAWR for the front is also lower for the performance models. It's 2407 lbs vs. the 2447 lbs you mentioned (note that this the maximum weight the axle supports, not what the front of the car weighs). This info can be found in the owner's manual.

Confusing? Maybe. Do they have a reason for it? I have no idea. Does it matter? Ask a Tesla service center perhaps.

The suspension is different for the performance package as well. I don't think that would influence any change on load rating, but perhaps it does somehow.

I also found along my info journey that XL tires are rated at a maximum of 42 psi. This may be why Tesla dropped their recommendation from 45 to 42 at some point.

I also found along my info journey that XL tires are rated at a maximum of 42 psi. This may be why Tesla dropped their recommendation from 45 to 42 at some point.

All the OEM tires Tesla offers have max psi of 50 psi.

RWD 18” Aero’s have always been 45 lbs and still is.

AWD has always been 42 psi for all tire configurations.

Also note that the max load is based on the max pressure on the tire. If you only put 42 lbs in a tire with Max 50 you have to derate the load it can handle.

OP should just try another shop.