Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with online order: deadlocked with no ETA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

We are a Tesla Family. I own a Model X P100DL, my wife has a S P85D, and my 6 year old has the RadioFlyer... We are happy to be big supporters of the company.

But there are still simple things where Tesla falls short and that can be mildly infuriating.

I ordered a winter wheel+tire package for my X because I'm planning a trip to the snow this winter. It's been about 3 months now, and as my trip date nears, I'm getting more and more anxious about not having my wheels/tires in time.

Somehow I cannot get any useful info about my order. When I email the online order team, they tell me that the service center will call me when my stuff gets there (it's been 3 months). When I ask the service center, they tell me that they haven't received my stuff and that I should reach out to the online order team to get information.

The last email was from the online order team to the service center guys asking for info (I was CC'd). No reply after 5 days (they don't seem to even reply to each other internally). I pinged them again. No reply after 2 more weeks.

So team A points to team B and team B points to team A.
I can't get any ETA out of anyone.

Does anyone have any idea about how to get out of this deadlock?

Thanks!

I think this happens to everyone that orders the snow packages. It's really hard to know what's going on.

I think it's mostly the Service Center that causes the delays. And it's going to vary with how busy your service center is.

I booked a Mobile Service appt to have them installed and put the order number on it. I think this helped push mine through quickly. Mine, I think took 3 or 4 weeks from the time I ordered to the time they were in my garage. Shipped to MA. Appt got bumped 2 or maybe 3 times. But you indirectly had someone on the other end on your side trying to get your tires ready. I think I'd have a tougher time now, because they are not allowing you to book Mobile appt's now because it's too cold.
I suspect Service Centers batch mount the tires. Rims, TPMS and Tires all come in separately and the "order" doesn't exist until they are put together (that's my hunch). Because it's not a completed package shipped from the Tesla Store. In fact, the Service Center might get tires direct from manufacturer. So the Store puts in a "Work Order" to the Service Center (Store will ship SC some parts (rims and TPMS), SC allocates tires or has to order them, probably in bulk then send that to the tire shop for mount and balance, then contact customer for install appt).

I think I would have lost it, if I was in your shoes.

• Informative
Reactions: redox
I'd go to a reputable tire shop and buy my wheels there. More choice and regular delivery times.

Tesla Snow Package is worth the wait.

No issues with Road Side Service, Free Roadside Loaner Wheel, Service Center Patching or other Service around Wheels and Tires if you run into problems.
The Pirelli Snow tires are great too.

They are simply waiting for you to schedule an appointment for installation in the Tesla app. Not intuitively obvious, but that will break the log jam. Service Centers usually have the wheels/tires in stock. A ranger appointment at home is usually best (you don't have to schlep around a wheel set). If you select "Other" in the services, you always get the ability to select Ranger or SC.

They are simply waiting for you to schedule an appointment for installation in the Tesla app. Not intuitively obvious, but that will break the log jam. Service Centers usually have the wheels/tires in stock. A ranger appointment at home is usually best (you don't have to schlep around a wheel set). If you select "Other" in the services, you always get the ability to select Ranger or SC.

Technically they are supposed to contact you when they are mounted at service center. I suggested to someone else in the same pickle to try and schedule mobile appt. They did and when the appt came around Tesla canceled it on them and said wait until we contact you. Also it's certainly possible they have been sitting at SC but the notification got lost.

Also, currently if I select "other" now it no longer goes to Mobile because it's too cold out where I live.

But I do agree it's worth a shot and if Tesla cancels it, I'd try again. You get different people on the other end all the time and their quality of help can vary a lot. When I scheduled mine I got call from the Mobile tech saying "did you get notified the tires were in". I said no and he politely understood what I was up to and moved my appt out a week. That happened 3 times and then I hit pay dirt. 2nd time I never got a call and they just moved the appt out another week.

They are simply waiting for you to schedule an appointment for installation in the Tesla app. Not intuitively obvious, but that will break the log jam.

They are not waiting for me to schedule an appt, actually. They originally had notified me to come in to the SC to get my wheels installed as they thought they had everything they needed. Once I got there (physically), they said it was a mistake and that they didn't have the wheels. That's when I asked for an ETA. Then they told me I should contact the online order guys... which then pointed me towards the SC guys, which then pointed me to the online order guys... etc...

Service Centers usually have the wheels/tires in stock.

Not this one. The backlog was over 50+ for the wheels. They had no idea when they would be receiving them.

A ranger appointment at home is usually best (you don't have to schlep around a wheel set). If you select "Other" in the services, you always get the ability to select Ranger or SC.

The problem isn't about getting it done once the parts are there. I actually don't want them installed as I install them myself the week prior to hitting the snow, but I need to know that I'll have them when I need them, which isn't clear right now, given the lack of communication. I just need to pick them up.