Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

problem with scheduling precondition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't precondition for a set departure time every morning, but on occasion (depending on where I am and the weather) I want to do it -- but I find it hard to get the app scheduling right. Sometimes I roll the numbers to set the correct time (eg 09:45), and it reverts to the last time I used for preconditioning (17:00), even though it was weeks ago. Sometimes I turn it off after it' preconditioned that day, but it turns itself back on and preconditions to that time every day. Sometimes the wheel time just seems to slip (?) so I think I set it for 09:45, but when I pick up my phone 10 minutes later, it's set for 09:00 for some reason.

Any idea what's going on? Am I doing it wrong.? Can I fix this? I've got an iPhone SE(2) using iOS 15.1, and software version 36.5,5

Scheduled Charging works 80% of the time. The app is not reliable. Also new location might need reprogramming.
Sometimes I just adjust the amps so that the estimated time to change was about the same as the time until my departure.

I don't precondition for a set departure time every morning, but on occasion (depending on where I am and the weather) I want to do it -- but I find it hard to get the app scheduling right. Sometimes I roll the numbers to set the correct time (eg 09:45), and it reverts to the last time I used for preconditioning (17:00), even though it was weeks ago. Sometimes I turn it off after it' preconditioned that day, but it turns itself back on and preconditions to that time every day. Sometimes the wheel time just seems to slip (?) so I think I set it for 09:45, but when I pick up my phone 10 minutes later, it's set for 09:00 for some reason.

Any idea what's going on? Am I doing it wrong.? Can I fix this? I've got an iPhone SE(2) using iOS 15.1, and software version 36.5,5

Preconditioning is location based.

If you set a time to precondition at home for 6:00 AM and then set a precondition at a relatives house while you are visiting for the weekend at 8:00 AM, when you go home it will use the home location precondition settings of 6:00 AM. Same thing with turning it off or on. If you had it turned on at home, leave for the weekend and turn it on at your weekend location... then turn it off before you start your drive home you will find that it is still turned on at your home location even though you "turned it off" when you left your weekend location to return home.

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
If you had it turned on at home, leave for the weekend and turn it on at your weekend location... then turn it off before you start your drive home you will find that it is still turned on at your home location even though you "turned it off" when you left your weekend location to return home.
So how can I turn it off? I don't precondition every day (mostly because I don't plug it in at night), and althugh I often precondition before I leave work, I only work part time and I don't always leave at the same time.

Does this variability mean that I can't use the preconditioning feature?

So how can I turn it off? I don't precondition every day (mostly because I don't plug it in at night), and althugh I often precondition before I leave work, I only work part time and I don't always leave at the same time.

You can use the feature but, unfortunately, you would need to manually set it up each time. Tesla schedule is very primitive. It only has an option to do all days or only week days.

You can use the Scheduled Departure Charging feature and the Tesla Model Y will always complete charging by the scheduled time each day. Scheduled Departure Preconditioning is a separate, related function that can be set for week days only or all week. If you decide to turn off Scheduled Departure Preconditioning you need to turn off all the Scheduled Departure settings by toggling Off the Scheduled Departure button at the bottom of the Tesla Charging Screen.

There is also Scheduled Charging; Scheduled Charging is easier to understand. You just pick a time each day when you want the Tesla Model Y to start charging, not concerned with when charging is completed. You can't use both Scheduled Charging and Scheduled Departure Charging, you can use one or the other option.

Scheduled Preconditioning now supports location based Preconditioning. It is possible to set a time in the A.M. to precondition before leaving home from the Tesla Charging screen. You can separately use the Tesla phone app charging settings to set a second preconditioning time specific to your work location for the P.M. when you leave work.

If you don't follow the same schedule each day then the best option is to just manually start to precondition 10 minutes before you drive.

Point taken; You should be able to turn off Scheduled Departure Preconditioning from the Climate Control screen inside the Tesla vehicle.
I have an issue where the car continues to "heat up" despite the fact that I have turned the pre-conditioning off. Ex. Thursday I set the car to pre-condition by 9am. When I left that day - I turned the preconditioning toggle off. Friday, Saturday and now Sunday, the car has continued to precondition by 9 am despite not having it turned on....

I have an issue where the car continues to "heat up" despite the fact that I have turned the pre-conditioning off. Ex. Thursday I set the car to pre-condition by 9am. When I left that day - I turned the preconditioning toggle off. Friday, Saturday and now Sunday, the car has continued to precondition by 9 am despite not having it turned on....
Check the Climate Control, Preconditioning settings in the Tesla app on your phone, also any other phones that have the Tesla app installed and access to your Tesla Model Y.

Not saying this is what's causing your issue, but something I've noticed...

When you open the app, make sure the car is awake and connected before changing the schedule or charge settings (i.e. it'll tell you "parked" in the top left). If you set it while it's still trying to connect and wake the car it won't take and the settings will revert.

Not saying this is what's causing your issue, but something I've noticed...

When you open the app, make sure the car is awake and connected before changing the schedule or charge settings (i.e. it'll tell you "parked" in the top left). If you set it while it's still trying to connect and wake the car it won't take and the settings will revert.
Oh. That's really cool to know. Thanks (a lot) !