Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with start time for charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I normally charge at home and schedule using the Tesla app to start at 00:30. However, recently I have found that the charging started much later, the last time at 05:04. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have had a problem with scheduled charging set up since a few updates ago - possible since 2022.8 or maybe 2022.4

In my case the system reverts every time to "ready to depart" at say 0530. My Octopus go hours for the car are 0030 ot 0430. So I prefer to charge at 0030 for 3 or 4 hours or whatever.

If a previous charge at a location was set as scheduled charge start, it retained that setting. Now it loses that setting every time. Sometimes it takes some messing with screen/cable to get the software to behave as I wish it to do.

Perhaps you have the same issue as my car does, My details below in signature, v2022.12.3.2 presently.

Tony

I have the car set to start charging at start of Off Peak (haven't done that recently, so dunno if an update has scuppered it). If internet down / whatever that should happen. Also if I have a really good night out it will still start when I come home much later ...

I also have TeslaFi scheduled to start at that time too.

My TeslaFi schedule is:

6PM Send Alert if the Limit is above 91% (left at 100% from yesterday ... and also because my overnight will reset it unless I override)

At start of Off Peak:
Wake the car (belt and braces)
Change AMPS to 32 (if charged from PV might have lowered that ...)
Change charge limit to 90% - might have lowered that too
In Winter if I am commuting I change Limit to 80%, and raise limit an hour before end of Off Peak, and restart charging, to get the battery warmer for my departure​
Start charging

(And if commuting then Climate On (IF at HOME) a suitable time before departure and OFF (IF at HOME) a bit later - in case I don't leave! / Bank Holiday etc.)

Could that mean 12pm USA time?

Not IME. I think it is "local timezone for where the car currently is" (I couldn't find anywhere in CONFIG where I have set the timezone ... but I did find reference on Settings : Measurements to "Display times in local timezone when traveling" and "Indicate when time displayed is in a different timezone")

When I've been to France as I come off the Chunnel I get a "+1:00" on the Date/Time value in the logs (which is either time-vs-GMT for the whole world, or just "France is one hour ahead of YOUR normal time")

Help : TesalFi Data Feed

will show raw data - so you should be able to see where CHARGE started - and compare the LOG time with your local time when that actually happened

Controls : Schedules and Reminders

The "View Scheduled Log" (at bottom of page) will show you all events that triggered (during the last week I think)

That may also provide a clue as to whether TeslaFi triggered an event or not. (For example if the Schedule is specifically set to HOME or PLUGGED IN etc. then the "Result" and "Reason" will indicate if that happened, or not)

I have:

Command = "charge_stop". Result / Reason = "Not Sent Vehicle Is Not Charging"

Command = "charge_start". Result / Reason = "False could_not_wake" but one minute later repeated and "True"

Not IME. I think it is "local timezone for where the car currently is" (I couldn't find anywhere in CONFIG where I have set the timezone ... but I did find reference on Settings : Measurements to "Display times in local timezone when traveling" and "Indicate when time displayed is in a different timezone")

When I've been to France as I come off the Chunnel I get a "+1:00" on the Date/Time value in the logs (which is either time-vs-GMT for the whole world, or just "France is one hour ahead of YOUR normal time")

Help : TesalFi Data Feed

will show raw data - so you should be able to see where CHARGE started - and compare the LOG time with your local time when that actually happened

Controls : Schedules and Reminders

The "View Scheduled Log" (at bottom of page) will show you all events that triggered (during the last week I think)

That may also provide a clue as to whether TeslaFi triggered an event or not. (For example if the Schedule is specifically set to HOME or PLUGGED IN etc. then the "Result" and "Reason" will indicate if that happened, or not)

I have:

Command = "charge_stop". Result / Reason = "Not Sent Vehicle Is Not Charging"

Command = "charge_start". Result / Reason = "False could_not_wake" but one minute later repeated and "True"
It consistently shows charging about 5 hours later than set, I am wondering if this is some discrepancy with the Tesla app setting. I had scheduled charging on the Tesla app set for 00:30 and at the same time on Teslafi at 12:30 pm. I think aslo that it should have been 12:30 am (I always confuse am and pm when 12 o clock is involved).

Rule #1 for fault finding - minimise the number of variables.
If both the app and Teslafi are scheduling the charge, there is the potential for conflict.
Start with only one app controlling the charging - I'd use the Tesla app - if that works, then switch Teslafi back on and take it from there.