Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost 3 weeks ago, the steering wheel on my 2018 MX started doing something strange. The steering wheel turns slightly to the right as the car is moving. This causes the car to drift right. It’s very noticeable when I go slow as the steering wheel starts to wiggle and then turns into a vibration as I pickup speed. At about 30-40 mph, you can hear a gentle thumping noise from the steering wheel vibrating. I have a service appointment setup for next week but does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I’ve checked the front tires but I don’t see anything obvious. I haven’t hit any potholes or anything like that. It’s driving me crazy.

It may be a coincidence but this happened a day after the last software update. The car had less than 15K miles when the problem first occurred. I’ve included a video. It’s a little tricky to film because Im holding the camera in one hand and having to steer the car back to the center of the lane as it keeps drifting right. In the second video, you can see the steering wheel vibrating as I’ve picked up a little speed.

Turns out it was my right front tire separating. I called around and I can't get the Pirellis everyone seems to recommend installed today. I'm afraid to drive the 1.5 hours back home on these (the tires are worn in one spot and you can see metal) so I'm going to have the SC replace just the front tires with OEM. The tires had less than 15K miles when they started exhibiting problems.