Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with the SOS dialing - bit worrying!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was showing the OH around the car today ready for when she needs to drive it and pressed the SOS button next to the hazard lights to show her what it did and how to turn it off... except the on-screen popup to cancel the call just never appeared! So it continued to dial 999 and had to tell the operator that it was a mistake and we couldn't hang up. They can't for ~10s or so either for some reason, I guess for safety? So was a bit awkward and felt proper stupid.

Anyway, very rubbish and obviously not great at all. Then 20 minutes later the below popped up and I've booked a mobile service but not for 3 weeks.

3bigMus.jpg

Seems so basic and important a thing to go wrong?

Was showing the OH around the car today ready for when she needs to drive it and pressed the SOS button next to the hazard lights to show her what it did and how to turn it off... except the on-screen popup to cancel the call just never appeared! So it continued to dial 999 and had to tell the operator that it was a mistake and we couldn't hang up. They can't for ~10s or so either for some reason, I guess for safety? So was a bit awkward and felt proper stupid.

Anyway, very rubbish and obviously not great at all. Then 20 minutes later the below popped up and I've booked a mobile service but not for 3 weeks.

3bigMus.jpg

I was in a similar situation...
I tried to do the emergency calling to see if it works during the post delivery inspection and the pop up on the screen that’s supposed to appear to cancel, well.... never APPEARED!!!!
With my tail in between my legs embarrassed I had to admit to the operator that i dialled by mistake!!!! (Coz the Bl***y car didn’t allow me to cancel!!)

but did not have the error message like you.
Could it be some software glitch?!

3bigMus.jpg

You may not get the chance to check, but is your GPS position stuck?

We were one of several that have had this and a fairly common trait was the GPS position would not update. We also lost various sensors and cameras, so no on screen visualisations. I think parking sensors still worked though, so not entirely blind when backing up.

No reboot of any kind fixed it, but leaving it alone in works car park for the remainder of the day seemed to be enough to cure things by time car was returned to.

I've had that error, along with the no GPS info and lack of cruise a couple of times. Walking away and leaving it long enough to go into deep sleep seems to sort it, or a full brake-pressed reset might be quicker.

I don't like the e-call button being so close to the hazards. Its logical, but we use the hazards to say thank you and so on enough that its worrying. Definitely don't want to get it wrong, especially if the cancel option isn't coming up!

I've had that error, along with the no GPS info and lack of cruise a couple of times. Walking away and leaving it long enough to go into deep sleep seems to sort it, or a full brake-pressed reset might be quicker.

I don't like the e-call button being so close to the hazards. Its logical, but we use the hazards to say thank you and so on enough that its worrying. Definitely don't want to get it wrong, especially if the cancel option isn't coming up!
The one in my 5 series is in a similar position however when you press it a flap opens which reveals a hidden orange button.

Reactions: Blueskye
Reminiscent of that episode of Father Ted when Dougal COULDN'T help himself from pressing the BIG RED BUTTON.

Personally I would be more concerned If the button didn't work, might make some think of 'Crying wolf' a little less often.

I’ve stuck some yellow tape on the hazard switch to make it more obvious. On the one occasion I pressed eCall by mistake I did get the option to cancel. On a separate occasion I got the Service eCall message, reported it for service, but then cancelled when the warning cleared itself.

My 3 year old pressed this whilst I was sorting her stuff. Needless to say that was the time we couldn't cancel - and had to apologise profusely to the operator.

I don't think she'll do it again, she doesn't want "the police to come and arrest her" (her words).

The ecall system error is separate to your emergency call and likely a coincidence.

The emergency call thing is when there is no service and you have no connectivity, gps might also not work. Tesla service always claim they can’t find anything wrong in the logs when asked. The issue usually resolved itself without a reboot, I think it may involve a network provider issue