Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with UMC lengthened by Quickchargepower

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my LR AWD in March. The logistics of charging at both of my houses require a longer umc cable. Both locations have a 14-50 on a 50 amp breaker. Initially I was using a extremely heavy duty 25' RV extension cable but after browsing through these forums I saw some recommendations for Quickchargepower and their service of extending the umc cable which keeps the safety measures of the umc in tact.

I purchased an additional umc and sent it off to Quickchargepower and got it back quickly with an additional 20' spliced in. The cable worked great up until the last week or so. About a week ago I noticed that the two covered spiced areas of the cable were noticibly warmer than the rest of the cable while charging. Now the splice nearest the Tesla brick is uncomfortably hot. Also, I have noticed that the charge rate constantly goes up and down between 29 mi/hr and 14 mi/hr. The amps also get cut in half from 32 to 16.

I tested my original unaltered umc and a heavy duty RV extension cord and it still charges normally with no drops in charge rate and nothing gets abnormally warm.

At this point I'm afraid to keep using the lengthened cable from Quickchargpower regardless of the safety measures built in.

Has anyone else had this problem with any cable lengthened by Quickchargepower? It seems like there is definitely a problem with the splice points.

I'll be reaching out to them to see what they say about it since it's barely been over 3 months. I remember seeing a rep from quickchargepower posting here in the past but can't seem to find him to tag for any input.

Sit in the car during a charging session and keep an eye on the voltage under load. For safety, Tesla drops the amperage if the voltage drops. This is an indication of a weak connection (ie: resistance).

It sounds like you’re UMC has a loose connection in the crimps on the cable and that needs to be investigated.

You should probably drop the charging amperage until you find/correct the source of the issue.

Sit in the car during a charging session and keep an eye on the voltage under load. For safety, Tesla drops the amperage if the voltage drops. This is an indication of a weak connection (ie: resistance).

It sounds like you’re UMC has a loose connection in the crimps on the cable and that needs to be investigated.

You should probably drop the charging amperage until you find/correct the source of the issue.

Does the car drop amperage automatically ( and click while it does that?) Is that bad compared to manually doing it?? My dryer plug does that and app says limited charging.

Mobile tech @ office said it might be UMC and they'll come the house to confirm.

The voltage never drops. Only the amperage drops to 16. Then it goes back up to 32 for a couple minutes, then back down to 16.

I'm almost certain the problem has to be where they spliced. Those areas are way to hot when charging. When I first got the cable I felt the cable several times to make sure there weren't any hotspots after the modification.

Neither my app nor the car screen ever says limited charging like your dryer plug issue. In my case the amperage drops automatically then goes back up, then down, etc.

Does anyone know if @TonyWilliams is still the right person here from Quickchargepower?

Just wanted to update this post in case anyone happens upon it on a search for Quickchargepower.

I contacted them and sent the umc back using my invoice number as the RMA. They repaired it free of charge. It only cost me the shipping to get it back to them which was still over 50 since I'm East coast. Only took just over a week to get it back. Cable works great now. No mention of what was causing the issue with the first extension but kudos to them for taking care of the problem.

Just wanted to update this post in case anyone happens upon it on a search for Quickchargepower.

I contacted them and sent the umc back using my invoice number as the RMA. They repaired it free of charge. It only cost me the shipping to get it back to them which was still over 50 since I'm East coast. Only took just over a week to get it back. Cable works great now. No mention of what was causing the issue with the first extension but kudos to them for taking care of the problem.

Sounds to me like they did a bad job 1st time around and you had to pay for their mistake. I was literally about to order an extension from them this weekend, but I think I will look around and see if they have a quality issue since I too live on the east coast.