Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with Vossen VFS 1, 20 inch wheels on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to provide a warning to people who might be considering the above referenced wheel. I thought I knew quite a bit about tire/wheel fitment, but I've learned a bit more from this experience.

I purchased a set of Vossen VFS 1, 20" x 9" wheels, through Discount Tires. DT contacted Vossen and confirmed with their reps that the wheels would fit on a 2019 Model S. Wanting to double check, I also called Vossen and the customer service rep confirmed the wheels would work with the car. They had several pictures of a Model S on their website running the VFS1.

Vossen sent to DT 2 front wheels with a "flat" concave profile and 2 rear wheels with a "mid" concave profile. After installing them, we discovered the rear valve stems scrape along the side of the calipers and could potentially break the stems, causing a leak. It also caused some scratch/gouging in the caliper powder coating on those two rear calipers

After speaking with an account manager at Vossen, I was informed that the mid concave profile wheels have slightly different dimensions than the flat profiles, which causes the valve stem placement to be different. He said on paper, their specifications show it should work on the Model S. He called this an "x factor" where they would not know of any problems until actual install. He also told me the picture in their gallery with the Model S is either a 21 or 22 inch wheel. (I can't recall which one he said, but there is nothing on their website indicating the size wheel nor is there any indication that any particular size wheel is the only size that would work with the Model S.) Regardless, it was not a comforting conversation.

Vossen overnighted a pair of shorter stems, hoping to resolve this issue. But, it appears the valve stems they sent are not compatible with the OEM TPMS. At this point, we will try to either use non-OEM TPMS that will work with the valve stems provided. If not compatible, then other option will be to demand Vossen resend 2 additional flat profile wheels or go up a size wheel. Hopefully Vossen and DT will make this right.

I got glosse black. I'll upload pics if we are able to resolve this. Does anyone know whether you can pair a non-OEM TPMS (it's the TIS 01 with 433 mhz frequency) to the tesla ECU? No shop seems to know the answer.

Think the year of your car determines which tpms works but if you're 2015+ I think any 433mhz should work but don't quote me on that. I got some cheap ones off amazon and they have been working fine. Was about $75 for a set of 4.

Thanks guys. I am feeling more confident about this. Earlier, the Discount Tire mechanic told me over the phone the valve stem was not compatible. He said he had never seen anything like it before b/c it looked like a "ring pop." But, the manager later got on the phone and said it would work b/c it "has a hole at the bottom." Doing some research online, I found the below pictures. The last picture is what an OEM TPMS looks like in case anyone was wondering. Will update.

Attachments

• tpms1501small2_2.png
    tpms1501small2_2.png
    791.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Custom Valve Stem Adapter.PNG
    Custom Valve Stem Adapter.PNG
    752.8 KB · Views: 174
  • OEM TPMS.jpg
    OEM TPMS.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 179
The custom short valve stem adapter worked. The OEM valve stem/TPMS attach just as depicted in the photo. The adapter has a polished aluminum color, so it does stand out against a black wheel. Would be nice if they made a black hexnut instead.

The front wheels with the flat face profile have no issue with the caliper, so the OEM valve stem/TPMS works fine. If you purchase the VFS 1 in 20 inch, just know to request the custom short valve stem. I've attached pics as requested.

Attachments

• VFS1.jpg
    VFS1.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Short Valve Stem.jpg
    Short Valve Stem.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 183
  • 20200522_103928.jpg
    20200522_103928.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 20200522_103915.jpg
    20200522_103915.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 171
I get the aesthetics of wanting to hide the valve stem but that placement is just super odd to me. glad you got it figured out though. not sure I've ever seen a wheel design with the valve stem that tucked into a wheel before.

The custom short valve stem adapter worked. The OEM valve stem/TPMS attach just as depicted in the photo. The adapter has a polished aluminum color, so it does stand out against a black wheel. Would be nice if they made a black hexnut instead.

The front wheels with the flat face profile have no issue with the caliper, so the OEM valve stem/TPMS works fine. If you purchase the VFS 1 in 20 inch, just know to request the custom short valve stem. I've attached pics as requested.

Did you have the get new lug nuts too I see that you have aftermarket lug nuts now