Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m having trouble getting my wall charger to connect with WiFi in my garage. Interestingly, my car sees and connects to WiFi while also in the garage. I was on the phone with Wall Connector Support. The woman in support tried to be helpful but says she’s never seen this problem and can’t help. I’m not very computer savvy and what they’ve sent below is gibberish to me. I’ve attached screens from my phone, I’m connected to the wall charger, it sees my WiFi connection but doesn’t see it on the attach screen. I’m in the East Bay. Anyone I can find to help solve this issue. Thanks.

It sounds like the issue is with your router not broadcasting a proper 2.4ghz Wi-Fi signal. This is a common issue with routers and some wireless clients. Extenders tend to not play nice with wireless devices all the time.

As there are so many different router models out there we can't provide specific instruction of what to change on your router or if it doesn't work with your client. We recommend using a mesh router and or a router that lets you break apart the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands to have their own names. Also to only use WPA personal security. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 504ED427-26C4-4B0A-A7E4-40A062C64BAD.jpeg
    504ED427-26C4-4B0A-A7E4-40A062C64BAD.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 174
  • A08ABA45-0CAC-4A1D-AD94-79414897973B.jpeg
    A08ABA45-0CAC-4A1D-AD94-79414897973B.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 100
  • BAB72C3A-D7F8-43C4-A967-C0FBA1E0D646.jpeg
    BAB72C3A-D7F8-43C4-A967-C0FBA1E0D646.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 114
There are two issues I have seen with WiFi.

1) most routers are dual band. They have WiFi that broadcast on 5 Ghz (faster speeds less range) and also the older 2.4 Ghz (slower speeds better range). The problem is that many of these routers combine the two into one WiFi network and the router will then decide which band to put devices on. There are some devices that have a problem with this. In that case you have to disable 5Ghz or crease separate WiFi for 2.4 and 5Ghz networks.

2) I see folks with newer routers that have WPA3 security enabled. The wall connector doesn't support this and has trouble connecting. Need to change it to WPA2.

There could be other issues but those are common issues that cause connection problems.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
I’m having trouble getting my wall charger to connect with WiFi in my garage. Interestingly, my car sees and connects to WiFi while also in the garage. I was on the phone with Wall Connector Support. The woman in support tried to be helpful but says she’s never seen this problem and can’t help. I’m not very computer savvy and what they’ve sent below is gibberish to me. I’ve attached screens from my phone, I’m connected to the wall charger, it sees my WiFi connection but doesn’t see it on the attach screen. I’m in the East Bay. Anyone I can find to help solve this issue. Thanks.

It sounds like the issue is with your router not broadcasting a proper 2.4ghz Wi-Fi signal. This is a common issue with routers and some wireless clients. Extenders tend to not play nice with wireless devices all the time.

As there are so many different router models out there we can't provide specific instruction of what to change on your router or if it doesn't work with your client. We recommend using a mesh router and or a router that lets you break apart the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands to have their own names. Also to only use WPA personal security. Hope this helps.

What brand router do you have?

Reactions: 240vPlug
Upvote 0
A lot of simple Wi-Fi devices are on 802.11b, which is basic and slows down the rest of the Wi-Fi network. Therefore, a lot of modern routers disable 802.11b by default. The problem is, I could not find in the Wall Charger Wi-Fi specs.

There should be no need to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands to separate SSIDs. That is generally considered bad practice. The clients should be free to decide which band to use within a unified SSID network.

I would dig into your router to verify that you have 802.11b enabled. Sometimes it is an obscure setting, like "legacy support."

Upvote 0
A lot of simple Wi-Fi devices are on 802.11b, which is basic and slows down the rest of the Wi-Fi network. Therefore, a lot of modern routers disable 802.11b by default. The problem is, I could not find in the Wall Charger Wi-Fi specs.

There should be no need to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands to separate SSIDs. That is generally considered bad practice. The clients should be free to decide which band to use within a unified SSID network.

I would dig into your router to verify that you have 802.11b enabled. Sometimes it is an obscure setting, like "legacy support."
Newer routers should be backwards compatible with previous 2.4Ghz standards out of the box. 802.11 b/g/n . Its worth checking though. While separating the bands is not ideal in many cases its the only way to get legacy devices working with a particular brand router. These routers use something called band steering and they don't always work properly. Google has a good implementation but I have had problems with EERO and 2.4ghz only devices. EERO actually has a built-in function to temporarily disable the 5Ghz to allow the client device to associate. Once the client is connected the 5Ghz band can be enabled again.

So if you have this problem there are only so many solutions. Try updating firmware to see if it corrects the problem, separate the bands, or buy a new router. Likely you will have to go through a process of elimination to figure out what the cause is with your setup.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Newer routers should be backwards compatible with previous 2.4Ghz standards out of the box. 802.11 b/g/n . Its worth checking though. While separating the bands is not ideal in many cases its the only way to get legacy devices working with a particular brand router. These routers use something called band steering and they don't always work properly. Google has a good implementation but I have had problems with EERO and 2.4ghz only devices. EERO actually has a built-in function to temporarily disable the 5Ghz to allow the client device to associate. Once the client is connected the 5Ghz band can be enabled again.

So if you have this problem there are only so many solutions. Try updating firmware to see if it corrects the problem, separate the bands, or buy a new router. Likely you will have to go through a process of elimination to figure out what the cause is with your setup.

Both your posts in this thread covered pretty much everything that was running through my head on this topic. Sounds like you are speaking from experience in having to deal with this, lol.

I have quite a few "IoT type" devices, and many of them exhibit this same behavior. I use Asus brand routers in their mesh network config, because it allows me to have separate SSIDs (easily). Things like my BBQ grill or my Fridge / Washer / Dryer, all had issues trying to join a joined SSID when I did some testing on mesh networking with combined SSID.

I have gen 2 wall connectors so no experience with the Gen 3, but suspect it could be similar.

Upvote 0
Both your posts in this thread covered pretty much everything that was running through my head on this topic. Sounds like you are speaking from experience in having to deal with this, lol.

I have quite a few "IoT type" devices, and many of them exhibit this same behavior. I use Asus brand routers in their mesh network config, because it allows me to have separate SSIDs (easily). Things like my BBQ grill or my Fridge / Washer / Dryer, all had issues trying to join a joined SSID when I did some testing on mesh networking with combined SSID.

I have gen 2 wall connectors so no experience with the Gen 3, but suspect it could be similar.
Same. The Iot devices often use legacy hardware for connectivity. For example, our LG thinQ washer and dryer had problems connecting due to firmware limitations on the number of characters in the wifi password. I use long passwords on my network for security. I have a lot of Iot devices and it can be very trusting dealing with all the different chipsets built in to these devices. The manufacturer often choose the lowest bidder so they can sell it as a "smart device" or simply to keep the price down to be competitive.

The Gen 3 is not bad but I can tell you it doesn't like WPA 3 or certain band steering implementations. I have run into this with other devices too though like Roku devices. Works fine with Google or EERO but another brand implementation it has a problem with and won't connect.

I love my smart devices though.

Upvote 0