Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with WIFI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the last software update, my Tesla Model Y has no WIFI, zero access points showing up, zero connectivity.

When I turn WIFI on, it shows zero, access points and if I type in the access point I want it to connect to, it of course does not find it. It is as if the WIFI service does not work at all.

Is this a known issue with the last update?
Is there anything I can do about this?

It was working perfectly fine, and found all the access points near my house (which includes at least 10-20 different access points) and so it seems odd that it cannot see ANY access points, even if I turn on the hotspot on my phone.

My Model y is on version 2002.12.3.2

Anyone else experience this?

I have rebooted the car multiple times and my Model Y will still have this same issue when I drive back to my garage. When I am outside, I enable my smartphone's hotpot and my Model Y still can't find any WiFi access points. Does anybody have any other suggestions besides rebooting the car? Thanks!

After the last software update, my Tesla Model Y has no WIFI, zero access points showing up, zero connectivity.

When I turn WIFI on, it shows zero, access points and if I type in the access point I want it to connect to, it of course does not find it. It is as if the WIFI service does not work at all.

Is this a known issue with the last update?
Is there anything I can do about this?

It was working perfectly fine, and found all the access points near my house (which includes at least 10-20 different access points) and so it seems odd that it cannot see ANY access points, even if I turn on the hotspot on my phone.

My Model y is on version 2002.12.3.2

Anyone else experience this?
I started having this issue after recent update. I am on 2022.12.3.12 now and I find I need to reboot the computer every now and then to make WIFI work as well as make data over USB ports works again (dash cam , music usb sticks).

Thank you for posting this!! I have been going nuts trying to fix the wifi signal in my garage because I thought it was my system. I run a pretty complicated wifi setup.. using all Ubiquiti Unifi equipment.. so I have 4 access points around my house (upstairs, downstairs, basement, and driveway). My car roams between the downstairs (ground level) and driveway AP. And it worked perfectly fine until the last 3-4 weeks. I first noticed this because of the issue with the dashcam not working, because it can't read the USB thumb drive. So with that being a known defect, I figured hey.. let's see if there is an update available to fix it. And of course, the car appears to check for an update.. but the last check was performed anywhere from 3 to 7 days ago.

So I'm like okay is this a new issue? I know that the LTE signal at my house is weak so I can't depend on that. I have literally driven my car away from my house and tried to connect it to my phone's wifi hotspot, which was also problematic. At this point, I'm like it has to be the car. As the last check is still anywhere from 3 to 7 days old. The tinker in me again tries to fix it by trying other wifi networks and it keeps pointing to the same thing. The car is simply not finding or not joining known networks.. or networks that are available with a high strength signal.

One of the most awesome things about Tesla and a major reason I wanted the vehicle, was the amount of OTA updates it receives. That said the past few updates.. in particular, the current software it's running has been horrible. Loss of the dashcam, loss of wifi and even trying to reprogram the garage door opener has been a straight pain in the butt.

Now that others have confirmed wifi issues.. I'll reset my access points back to "auto". As I had played around with changing the channel, radio strength, and locking the car to specific access points.. instead of letting it automatically roam to whichever one had the best signal. I cannot wait to get off the 2022.12.x stack as it appears it has issues at every version. I believe 2022.16 is now available and has been pushed to atleast one vehicle: Tesla Software Update Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates

So thank God for this thread and you all folks, thought I was going nuts. But it looks like the 12.3.2 broke not just sentry/dashcam but also Wifi connectivity! And it also looks like the 12.3.12 update hasn't fixed the Wifi connectivity issue? I had heard it had fixed the sentry/USB not mounting issue at least.

So thank God for this thread and you all folks, thought I was going nuts. But it looks like the 12.3.2 broke not just sentry/dashcam but also Wifi connectivity! And it also looks like the 12.3.12 update hasn't fixed the Wifi connectivity issue? I had heard it had fixed the sentry/USB not mounting issue at least.
12.3.12 did not fix USB devices not mounting occasionally for me. And if others ask did not fix WI-FI occasionally not finding & connecting to previously know networks/hotspots. To fix the issue I reboot computer when issue happens.

Ugh, that's problematic then. Catch 22: can't connect to wifi to download update that will then hopefully fix said wifi connectivity issue. That said, I have noticed my dashcam has not shown the dreaded red X for the last 3 days, even after being awakened from deep sleep.

Reactions: colea
I’ve read you will get notifications of available software update via LTE (car’s cellular) but to download and install, you need Wi-Fi. So basically after getting notification that an update is available, then ensure you have a Wi-Fi connection. I am a bit more proactive. I reboot ever 3 days and seem to always have Wi-Fi …so there are the options. I find I generally get updates when a surge of update activity is reported on the various tracker www sites. I am set to “advanced” on update prefs , willing to get latest software and possibly not as well tested.

Reactions: GeekyDoc
Same here, set to advanced but didn't realize until last week that the Y was not connecting to Wifi; thought the problem was only related to dashcam/USB mounting errors. I think this release has a connectivity bug; my bluetooth connection also just vanishes from time to time randomly but that at least comes back.

Mine refuses to even check for a software update anymore. Regardless of what internet connection I have.. its stuck saying last check was performed on June 8th @ 8:40am. Going to reach out to Tesla service.