TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Problematic Homelink

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by milleron, Apr 28, 2018.

1. milleron

milleron Member

Both of my garage doors have worked perfectly for 9 years with their own remotes and the built-in Homelink transmitter in my old Accord. They even work fairly well with the transmitter in my 17 MS when activated manually. However, when trying to use the automatic feature, setting it for any distance greater than 30 ft, results in the door rising 6" and stopping. I'd think that this was caused by the Tesla broadcasting the signal for too long a time, resulting in the door getting a signal to rise and then thinking it got a second signal which would mean "stop," but inside 30 feet, it does work. Unfortunately, when it opens at 30 ft, that means bringing the car to a complete stop to wait for the door to open. I'd be better off using the remote that came with the opener.
    I did run an antenna extension all the way to the front of the garage, but it didn't help at all.

Has anyone else encountered this malfunction?

2. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Respect the mods stay on topic

Mines been doing this intermittently for the last three years. Is it a defective Homelink or is it an incompatibility with my 25 year old garage door opener. Is anyone else experiencing the door stopping at about 6" when opening upon arrival? It never does this while leaving and the door is closing.

3. CWNE88

CWNE88 Member

Hey mate,

You got me curious enough to check out how it transmits the signal. I did a video on it here:

• Informative x 1
  4. JasonA-EV

JasonA-EV Member

Does anyone have trouble with the app? Under controls there's the Homelink and when I click on it... it says "there's no Homelink attached to the car" or something like that :eek:

5. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Respect the mods stay on topic

Thank you for doing this. I changed the trigger distance to 40'. Yesterday it chimed when I was right in front of my driveway with nothing blocking the signal. Usually my neighbor's large SUV is parked on the street and is possibly blocking the signal when I have the distance set to 50'. I was surprised when it stopped at 6" because I thought this was going to be the solution. So I resorted to possible solution #2: removed the LED bulbs from the opener. I haven't had a chance to test it since the bulb removal, but here's hoping.

6. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

This is great information. We should tell Tesla to shorten the transmitting time.

Could you check Homelink on other car makes? The Homelink on my Volvo works flawlessly. I would guess the transmitting time on Homelinks would be the same but who knows.