Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems after FSD computer upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there is a master thread on HW 3.0 retrofit questions, wait time, and issues, but that thread is going on 12 pages, and covers way too much ground, so “issues” tend to get lost. This thread will focus only on post-upgrade problems and solutions.

I had my FSD upgrade performed at the Honolulu SC on 1/20/20. My car is a March 2018 LR RWD, VIN 94xx.

Since the upgrade, I’ve experienced three problems:

1. Phantom sentry triggers (100-200 events during a normal workday, with nothing significant on video review).

6546BE1E-8CA8-48FF-8FE2-A2CCA7B39071.jpeg

2. A nearly 10% drop in range. Where I used to get an estimated 325 miles of range at 100% charge, I’m now seeing only 293 miles at 100%, in the app.

10EA7ADA-26FC-488E-8242-D53527E98AFA.png

3. Sporadic glitches on the display, when the car is in park. I took a very short video of this. I’m not touching anything, the car is in park, and you will see a very brief flash of the orange autopilot steering wheel icon, followed by the top row indicator lights. I was loading a webpage the first time I saw this, so that’s why you see a page loading in this video, but I wasn’t able to reliably reproduce this with additional page loads.

My car is scheduled for service on 2/17/2020, so hopefully they will be able to fix these issues. If you’ve experience this, or other weird behaviors after your upgrade, please let us know.

Attachments

• 367D7092-63EE-4B13-B05E-78BEC49C295E.png
    367D7092-63EE-4B13-B05E-78BEC49C295E.png
    686.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
Well that’s not good. I wonder if they can really isolate these problems to the HW3 computer. Or is it possible that while installing the computer they broke some other things?

I think there is something to be said for being patient on the HW3 upgrade and waiting until they have a chance to do a bunch of installs on someone else’s car first.

:p:p:p:p
Well that’s not good. I wonder if they can really isolate these problems to the HW3 computer. Or is it possible that while installing the computer they broke some other things?

I think there is something to be said for being patient on the HW3 upgrade and waiting until they have a chance to do a bunch of installs on someone else’s car first.
Yeah, no doubt you’re right about not being the first lemming up the mountain, but the early adopter in me just can’t resist :p

I’ll report back after they’ve done some diagnostics.

Reactions: Akikiki
3. Sporadic glitches on the display, when the car is in park. I took a very short video of this. I’m not touching anything, the car is in park, and you will see a very brief flash of the orange autopilot steering wheel icon, followed by the top row indicator lights. I was loading a webpage the first time I saw this
I have seen this in my 2020 Model 3 with HW3 as well, also when opening the browser and bringing up the first webpage. It's clearly an MCU bug.

• Informative
Reactions: fseir
My guess is range has nothing to do with upgrade other than some BSM history was probably lost and your range will normalize after a few change cycles.

I’d look at other threads on Sentry mode high event counts. Seen many complaints on that for quite some time. Not sure if happens with factory HW3 or HW2.5. They probably upgraded firmware and some issues are just new software bugs.

You high sentry event will eat some watts too.

Have you seen any evidence that you’ve lost any actual range or could it be just that they’ve changed the estimation algorithm? And are you sure that the change is due to the HW3 itself or could it be that you’re running a different version of the software now?

Have you seen any evidence that you’ve lost any actual range or could it be just that they’ve changed the estimation algorithm? And are you sure that the change is due to the HW3 itself or could it be that you’re running a different version of the software now?
All reasonable questions. I doubt it’s a real range drop, and I can’t be certain it’s related to HW 3.0, but the change did happen suddenly after the upgrade, and I haven’t heard any other LR RWD owners report a 10% range drop (or drop in estimated range) with recent software updates. I know that at 80% charge, my car used to show me around 260 miles, and now it shows me around 235.

And regarding the phantom sentry triggers, it does seem to take a noticeable hit on my battery, maybe because of all the associated headlight flashes and LCD screen activity.

Sorry, been meaning to provide an update on these issues, but pandemic.

So after taking my car back, they told me two things:

1. For phantom sentry trigger: Try a new USB drive.
2. For the reported range drop: Stop charging my car everyday, to allow use of a wider band of the battery's capacity.

I replaced my USB drive with a micro SD and reader (Samsung PRO Endurance MicroSDXC card and SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 reader), but this did absolutely nothing. I continued to get upwards of 300 phantom triggers a day, although I did notice the false alerts were more common on rainy days, so it seemed that something happened after my HW 3.0 upgrade, to cause the camera sensitivity to be way too high. I made a mobile service request on the Tesla app, to let them know I was still having the problem, and they called me to let me know others had reported this problem, and their engineers were working on it. Their recommendation was to wait for a firmware update. Lo and behold, 2020.12 rolled out and the phantom trigger problem was solved!

So was the phantom sentry trigger issue HW 3.0 related? I never had the problem before HW 3.0, so my conclusion is that it was, but since it didn't affect everyone, there must have been some other variable that I'm not accounting for.

Regarding the reported range drop, allowing my battery to discharge further before recharging, DID partially improve my estimated range (got it as high as 312 miles). However, I'm not going to continue doing this, because it causes me to draw more energy from the grid, whereas daily charging allows me to charge mostly from my Powerwalls. Again, this issue didn't affect me until after my FSD computer upgrade, so it seems like it's related, but to be honest, I just can't tell. As long as the range drop is merely computational, and not real, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Anyway, I'm happy with the resolution, and looking forward to the next evolution of autopilot with red light and stop sign activation!