Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems after FSD hardware upgrade from AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally posted this elsewhere, but could use any assistance offered.
Nov 2016 AP 2.0 vehicle with 55k miles.

My FSD computer upgrade has not been so positive. I did not upgrade the MCU (was not available).
It originally was recognizing street lights signs but then quit, which I believe was due to the setting turning itself off. Severe lag before the backup camera starts, frequent Bluetooth reinitializing and dropping of my phone, routinely goes to the radio station on entering the car instead of my phone connection, microphone errors when trying to send bug reports. I even lost my front right turn signal for a day. (It has since functioned normal.) It told me parking assist was unavailable while I was driving 70 mph down the highway and the outside temperature readings have dropped below zero ranging from -49 to 60 degrees while it's been 75-90 outside.

I have had the upgrade for several weeks now. It finally installed software version 2020.24.6.11 after being stuck downloading for several days. Download ultimately completed after intervention below.

The SC says my eMMC is fine after a remote evaluation of the logs and blamed it on my USB drive. After they "deleted some of the memory" and I pulled the USB drive for Sentry/Dashcam, everything improved. The drive was full, but not corrupted. They deleted my navigation data. I'm now using a new High Endurance SD card with a USB 3.0 adapter. We'll see how long it takes problems to recur. (And during the 2 days of no Sentry, I received a very nasty scrape in my driver's door. Sure would have been nice to have that video so someone else's insurance could pay for the repair.)

Well, the improvement only lasted a couple of days. Temperature readings are again super low, -49F this morning, which makes the AC blow hot air when its 80-90 degrees outside. That's not a comfortable experience! They said I will need to bring it in for service as there is nothing else they can do remotely. That appointment is still several days away. They offered me a loaner (actually an Enterprise rental) after 4:00pm on Friday , but I didn't have time to get it after work.

Received notification last night that new software was downloading (2020.32.something) and got excited there might be a fix on the way. This morning my phone alerted that I had new software, but when I opened the app there was no hint of any new software. The car states software is current with the 2020.24.6.11 version. What a disappointment! :-(

If anyone has any helpful suggestions, please let me know.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Try having nothing plugged into the USB ports for a day or two. I also went FSD upgrade recently but not MCU. And I seem to be detecting a pattern of slow/laginess on my MCU1 when USB is connected. Its making me wonder if having dashcam/sentry functionality is a bit too much for the MCU1 processor/memory

Try having nothing plugged into the USB ports for a day or two. I also went FSD upgrade recently but not MCU. And I seem to be detecting a pattern of slow/laginess on my MCU1 when USB is connected. Its making me wonder if having dashcam/sentry functionality is a bit too much for the MCU1 processor/memory

After 24 hours without the USB drive, it seems to be normalizing again.
I don't think FSD+MCU1 is going to work. Certainly cannot use Dashcam or Sentry with this configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
Did some more testing today. I think (at least for me) I have confirmed: Having my USB connected with dashcam and sentry enabled, absolutely has resulted in worsened MCU performance to include almost unusable voice commands (delays so long it seems to forget that I even said anything to it), extremely laggy/slow navigation directions, map rendering slow/choppy, much less responsive screen touch, and somewhat erratic streaming of music.

This behavior was consistent as long as I had the USB connected and sentry/dashcam functional.

Once I unplugged the USB device? Almost within minutes, the MCU began consistently behaving in a "normal" newer MCU1 manner.
Still not MCU2 levels from what I've heard (never experienced MCU2, only heard about it) but 100% usable/functional.

The USB I used

SanDisk - Ultra Fit™ 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - Black