Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems changing wheels from summer to winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each winter when I change my wheels from summer to winter tires, Its impossible to remove the wheels from each wheel hub.
I have to use a short 2x4, place it along the inside edge of the wheel, and bash it with a 10Lb hammer to break the wheel free from the hub.
This must be an undocumented Tesla feature?

Attachments

• 20210414_135201.jpg
    20210414_135201.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 138
  • tesla1.png
    tesla1.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 72
  • tesla2.jpg
    tesla2.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 78
  • tesla3.jpg
    tesla3.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 69
Each winter when I change my wheels from summer to winter tires, Its impossible to remove the wheels from each wheel hub.
I have to use a short 2x4, place it along the inside edge of the wheel, and bash it with a 10Lb hammer to break the wheel free from the hub.
This must be an undocumented Tesla feature?
Galvanic corrosion, it's been around since alloy wheels have been bolted to steel rotor hubs.

It's never been much of a problem for me, but I'm not in the Great White North. Road salt, magnesium chloride, salt brine, all of that stuff contributes to the corrosion. As others have posted, anti-seize compound will help.

Try some anti-seize on the hub.

This^^^^^Stuff is AWESOME. Get yourself a wire brush wheel kit on Amazon. You get several diameter round brushes. Use it with a drill to clean off the rust/galvanization from the exterior and interior of the hub/axle. Then swab on the Permatex. Bottle has an application brush affixed to the top. Haven’t seen rust since. I clean the hubs and reapply each winter/summer swap. Stuff rocks.

Ski

Reactions: Big Earl