Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems charging at home :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recommend you call your local service center and have them pull logs from the car; they'll be able to see what the fault is.

OK, so I got a call from Tesla about what was causing the problem. Unfortunately it wasn't much help to me but maybe it means something to someone helping me out on this thread. They said the fault was coming back as a charging cable failure, and they offered to get me a new Tesla cable thinking that I was using theirs. I explained I was using my own charging station and not their cable and asked for more specific info but they didn't have any.

I'm guessing (?) that it is a problem with the Voltec charger. My Volt used to hiccup on a charge once in a while as well so I suspect it is not working properly. Unless someone has some troubleshooting ideas, I guess I am going to go the NEMA 14-50 route. Seems like the cheapest, easiest way to go.

OK, so I got a call from Tesla about what was causing the problem. Unfortunately it wasn't much help to me but maybe it means something to someone helping me out on this thread. They said the fault was coming back as a charging cable failure, and they offered to get me a new Tesla cable thinking that I was using theirs. I explained I was using my own charging station and not their cable and asked for more specific info but they didn't have any.

I'm guessing (?) that it is a problem with the Voltec charger. My Volt used to hiccup on a charge once in a while as well so I suspect it is not working properly. Unless someone has some troubleshooting ideas, I guess I am going to go the NEMA 14-50 route. Seems like the cheapest, easiest way to go.

You really ought to have a 14-50 for this car anyway. Granted, some people don't need it for their driving scenarios, but you've got 60 or 85 kWh to replenish...you should be able to feed it a bit more than 240V@15A.