Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having an issue charging at home. Charging is very erratic, from working fine to not at all.

I had solar city install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and at first it was working fine, would charge up to 40 amps, 20-25 miles per hour. Over the last month the charging has been stopping and when i go to see what is happening I see multiple different messages ranging from 9.6V battery issue, cable error to "car needs service." I never have any issues charging at my workplace (where granted the electricity is much more powerful than at home, its a warehouse where we are set up to charge multiple forklifts simultaneously) or at super chargers or public parking lots.

The first time Solar city changed the breaker, that worked for 1 day. The second time they said its a car issue and not an outlet issue and got in touch with Tesla and i followed up with Tesla directly. Tesla gave me a new charging cable but that did not work either. I got a friend with a Tesla to come by and see if his car would charge and it wouldn't so i know its an issue with my house and not the car but when Solar city look at it everything looks fine on their end.

This is the last email i have from Solar city: "Coincidently, I was at another customer's home yesterday who is having the very same issue. I am investigating the issue with LADWP and SCE, as well as Tesla. This is definitely perplexing. Please let me have a few days to gather some information and I will get back to you."

Has anyone encountered anything similar?

I found a similar local issue with another Tesla owner where the receptacle used did not have a steady ground. Traced it to a loose terminal inside the receptacle that didn't permit a steady ground. I opened the receptacle, closed the ground clip just a bit, then it has been steady since.

One other thing to look at is the LED status on the UMC and the LED status on the car.