Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems communicating with new Model 3 via iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
The Tesla app on my iPhone 7 normally quickly connects and updates to current time for my S, but the connection to my new 3 is spotty at best. Right now the car is in the garage and the app won’t update. Last update was 28 minutes ago. This happened several times yesterday too. Any ideas?

If you are in a spotty AT&T connection area, that is likely the problem since custom WiFi isn't enabled yet. I take it you are connected via WiFi at home on the Model S?
The S connects fine in most situations but 3 is crapshoot in same locales. Oddly 3 reports 3g occasionally including at home, but I don’t think S ever has in the same places. Maybe it’s a modem problem in the 3?

I've seen this when the car and the phone both have fine connectivity - it's like the car went to sleep. Walking up to it, unlocks fine then the app updates

Mine won't connect over wifi, but blue tooth is fine. It just wants me to get off the bed and walk out to the garage and stroke the paint. I was having trouble with blue tooth, but rebooting the car and phone fixed it. I guess I should reboot the wifi, too.

Reactions: Msjulie
Seems like my 3 goes into a deep sleep easily.. More time to connect to the app, but a lot lot less vampire drain - especially if you look at kwh lost instead of miles vs the S. That's at least how I justify the situation

Seems like my 3 goes into a deep sleep easily.. More time to connect to the app, but a lot lot less vampire drain - especially if you look at kwh lost instead of miles vs the S. That's at least how I justify the situation
Oddly enough I am getting a lot of vampire drain. For example I noticed I lost six miles of estimated range in four or five hours tonight while the 3 is sitting in my garage. My S is much better, maybe a couple miles of range overnight. I wonder if there is another explanation for my drain since so many people have parroted your experience. I suppose it could just be that I shouldn’t be comparing miles lost, as the 3 uses less electricity to go the same distance. But that’s a pretty large disparity.

I noticed this morning no further significant vampire drain. I had gone out and slammed all the doors and suspect one may have been ajar slightly. When you get your 3 you will be amazed at how hard it is to shut the doors tight. What’s with Tesla’s doors and door handles? I love new technology but doors might have been one area of the cars to have kept the old tried and true systems.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Yep...it's the doors. What is up with them?
Anyways, what happens is the door is ajar, and the interior lights and ac keep running. It's Crazy huge vampire drain if you don't know what's going on.
I lose 1-2 miles in 24 hours in vampire drain on the 3. That's less than 1/2 kwh... On the S, I lose about 5-6 in 24 hours ('always connected ' is NOT on) - that's about 2kwh