Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems getting our money back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ccfrancis

Jul 13, 2022
MN
We ordered a new Model X and was leasing a 2018 Model X. Because of the delays in delivery we decided to just buy it at the end of the extended lease. However, the very next day Tesla informed us that our new Model X will be ready to be delivered the next week (originally scheduled 4 months later) . They allowed us to cancel our buyout and said they will refund our payment. We returned our leased vehicle with $175 wear and tear penalty and 5K miles over the allotted mileage allowance.
Tesla sent us an email saying that they are refunding our money but less $5K. There's no itemized breakdown or explanation why. With the excess mileage at 25cents per mile and the wear and tear, we had expected to owe just around $2K. We called and emailed several times to Tesla leasing and Tesla finance but nobody has given us any explanation on the numbers. In the meantime, Tesla still has our money.
Has anyone experienced something similar and does anyone have any advise on what we can do?

Your estimate of wear and tear was substantially less than what Tesla determined. You could have had the damage repaired before the car return by an independent shop(s) but you skipped that option.

<shrug>

I've learned this lesson. The last two cars I've sold, and the car I am selling now, have been repaired before I hand over the car so that I do not face an open-ended appraisal from the buying company.

Upvote 0