Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

problems in the European delivery hell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did notice the article said ICO hired like a hundred guys specifically for the Tesla deliveries. Maybe too new to it and not trained well yet? Here in the States Tesla hired a lot of people prior and during the 3rd and 4th quarter to process deliveries and as you guys probably read from new owner comments, some were good at their job and others seemingly not. It's not like Tesla has never delivered cars to Europe before but given this is probably the first time Tesla has moved so many cars at one time in such a short period of time I expect a lot of growing pains. I will say the car is worth waiting for if that helps at all :).

Last edited:
I don't know why some are viewing this as a good thing. Tesla has proven they are bad at logistics. Why on earth would anyone feel good about Tesla taking vehicle prep for all of Europe in house, over a company who does only that, for hire?

Or is it just good theatre to show that Elon is "doing something about it"?

It's always theater with Elon, much like the "we're building our own car carriers" show. He can't delegate and he can't sit still and solve mundane problems, it's not his personality. He thinks Tesla can do anything in house, which is technically largely true, except they can't do EVERYTHING in house and whatever they do, they do badly, most of the time (probably primarily because of the lack of coherent management). He pushed Tesla this far and he will keep pushing it ... right off the cliff.

After a long truck trip across Europe the cars would have had to be cleaned again anyway (in Winter for sure and very much so at times). A suitable spacious location was found near Zurich airport and deliveries from there will start shortly and will not physically overload our service centres. That staff will be busy was expected and I do not think that anybody thought otherwise. I cannot see that work in ports far away would have added much value or could have really saved all that much effort locally. I have also a lot of confidence in our service centers - actually quite a bit more than in unknown operators in a far away port. For by now nine years they have served me faultlessly.

Some cars have already arrived there.

That’s nice to know........ hoping to have mine pretty soon.......... initially they said this week but that was dismissed just minutes afterwards by the local people in Meyrin. So maybe with this development i’ll see mine sometime next week...

Yes, Tesla is overwhelmed by the volume of deliveries - at the moment. We should give them some slack. In the last 2 weeks the volume of deliveries must have grown at least 10-fold compared to MS and MX - only.

Then there apparently was a problem with the billing system. So ... I just transferred the money for the car without having an invoice. I know how much it costs and included the RN for reference. My car is sitting at the Nuremberg service center waiting patiently. I not so much. But I feel sure, Tesla will sort it out and sent the registration papers within days.

Anyway, if anything goes wrong Tesla lets you return the car within 3 days. So what can go wrong?

If we would not trust Tesla, how could we have sent them the money for the new roadster reservation?

My prediction: In 3 months the process will be smooth and professional.

Now it is somewhat chaotic. Even the Tesla employees have (too) little power to change that ATM.

In the last 2 weeks the volume of deliveries must have grown at least 10-fold compared to MS and MX - only.

Not the case for the Netherlands at least. Daily deliveries the last 10 days were between 20 and 50 (from official registration numbers). A volume that they easily surpassed on the busiest MS/MX months. Norway is also not particularly busy with just 43 registrations yesterday and fewer still over the weekend. But we have only a two days of history for the country so maybe the ramp up will happen this week.

Still nothing for me. Deliveries in Austria are progressing, there's a lot full of Model 3s in Vienna and more are arriving on a regular basis. No idea how many they get out the door per day.

On the plus side, this gave me enough time to get the 3d floor mats, some fancy puddle light projectors and other tidbits that one absolutely needs for the primary function of the car ;)

Yes, Tesla is overwhelmed by the volume of deliveries - at the moment. We should give them some slack.

Why should we do that?

They did the same stupid crap with the US rollout- knowing years in advance a massive surge in sales/delivery was coming, and doing virtually nothing to properly prepare for it.

Now they're repeated the same mistakes in Europe.

Back in the US we're now seeing similar lack of effort/planning regarding service- with some service centers not having open appointments for weeks or months to do work on cars because they didn't bother to build any significant number of service centers in the last 2 years they knew a HUGE number of new Teslas would be coming on the roads.

And parts supply issues where folks are having to wait months for parts for repair/replacement too even if using a 3rd party body shop.

(and expect the same in Europe too).

Again Tesla knew 2-3 years ago their plan involved increasing their annual sales 3-5 fold- and did virtually nothing to prepare for it in terms of sales, delivery, parts, or service.

On two continents now.

Why would they deserve any slack at this point?

(note- I love the car- luckily I got one that didn't need any service from the factory either-I love Tesla as an engineering company- but they are grossly incompetent on anything to do with sales, planning, or logistics and seem incapable of learning significant lessons from it--- Model Y is gonna be even worse if it's anywhere near as good a vehicle as it should be)

Why should we do that?

They did the same stupid crap with the US rollout- knowing years in advance a massive surge in sales/delivery was coming, and doing virtually nothing to properly prepare for it.

Now they're repeated the same mistakes in Europe.

Back in the US we're now seeing similar lack of effort/planning regarding service- with some service centers not having open appointments for weeks or months to do work on cars because they didn't bother to build any significant number of service centers in the last 2 years they knew a HUGE number of new Teslas would be coming on the roads.

And parts supply issues where folks are having to wait months for parts for repair/replacement too even if using a 3rd party body shop.

(and expect the same in Europe too).

Again Tesla knew 2-3 years ago their plan involved increasing their annual sales 3-5 fold- and did virtually nothing to prepare for it in terms of sales, delivery, parts, or service.

On two continents now.

Why would they deserve any slack at this point?

(note- I love the car- luckily I got one that didn't need any service from the factory either-I love Tesla as an engineering company- but they are grossly incompetent on anything to do with sales, planning, or logistics and seem incapable of learning significant lessons from it--- Model Y is gonna be even worse if it's anywhere near as good a vehicle as it should be)

Understand your point, but all of that are not mistake, they are lack of means, read money. You need money to have more service centers, more show rooms, more people working at each service center, each show room, etc...Tesla simply to afford to built in ten years the same service center network than BMW or Jaguar had built in almost a century of existence.
Tesla decided that to not go bankrupt they need to grow sales as much as possible and as fast as possible, then the rest will have to wait.

I think these two comments I found there: Tesla's European Problem — Not Enough Stores | CleanTechnica, are the fulcrum point to Tesla problems.

by Amos Batto:
"Given the fact that Tesla recently cut it profits to workforce and is trying to show a profit every quarter, it is understandable that the company has limited the number of stores and service centers in Europe. As sales of the Model 3 increase in Europe, hopefully Tesla will have more European revenue to justify opening more stores.

I'm not a Tesla fanboi by any means (see my previous posts on the ecological problems of long-range EVs), but it makes me angry that the shorts forced Tesla into a position where the company felt obligated to make quarterly profits. Shorts who spread misinformation and manipulate stock prices for profits are parasites on society.

At this stage, Tesla should be going into debt to keep expanding as fast as possible. Amazon didn't make a profit for over a decade and everyone acknowledged that it made perfect business sense. Tesla should be expanding like Amazon did, not worrying about quarterly profits."
And Richard:
"Correct up to a point. But Tesla has a lot of things to consider now that it is maturing as a company.
Tesla is trying to make a profit so they can be listed on the S&P500 which will burn the shorts for good and give them access to cheaper credit. So for another six months there will be a clamp on spending.

Another problem is that the global economy is risky atm. If there is a significant downturn Tesla would not be wanting to be carrying too much debt, hence the focus on reducing debt atm. The CFO discussed that in the last earnings call.

So the current strategy from Tesla is prudent in the short term. It is forcing them to be more capital efficient and figure out ways of bringing new models to market at much reduced capex.

This all plays into making Tesla fighting fit for the wave of competition that will hit from next year. Even if the competition is no particular threat in the short term, that competition won't go away and it will only grow.
If they can make the S&P 500 they won't have to worry about the shorts having a feeding frenzy every time a competitor brings a new model to market by saturating the population with FUD."

• Love
Reactions: WarpedOne
While I understand what you're saying there's a couple of problems with it...

First- Tesla repeatedly claimed they were going to address these issues- and then repeatedly failed to. (and Elon more than once referred to NOT doing so as mistakes). So if the only reason was keeping capex down then Tesla repeatedly lied about this stuff.

Second- If you end up with a ton of unhappy customers it makes mass market selling a significant challenge.

Right now folks are still largely putting up with it because you have basically no choice if you want such a car (and if you're lucky enough to get through the delivery hell part AND your car doesn't need service it might take months to get- the car itself is awesome).

It also helps that a significant # of new owners were enthusiasts/previous owners/etc.... as more and more 'new' customers are coming in from say owning a Camry or VW or something where buying is easy, delivery is easy, and service is easy, it's going to be increasingly unacceptable to them.... the only thing saving Tesla in this regard right now is how half-assed and slow the competition has been to this point.

But given Tesla has essentially no marketing budget and has thrived from press coverage and word of mouth, they're gonna need to get this stuff figured out sooner than later if they wanna move from selling a few hundred k cars a year to selling a few million....especially if the 35k car ever comes around and you start getting even more "average" new car buyers getting their first Tesla after a lifetime of normal dealer experiences.

This.
I want my M3 today like everyone else, but that's just not how this works, and not only at Tesla.

I had to wait 5 months (!) for my Zoe. This wasn't a new car or anything, and it shipped from France and not the US. My initial wait time was said to be 4-6 weeks. Then it was 8 weeks and they said that the car would be produced soon. Then nothing for over a month. Then success, the car is being produced! Oh wait no, not yet. Or maybe yes? Conflicting information time and time again. Then I got told I'd be able to get the car in 2 weeks time. I called on the day before to check and lo and behold, no car. It turned out the car hadn't even been built yet. Then another month of wait time during which another delivery date came and went.

Finally after 5 months it arrived. "Here's your car, have a nice drive." No explanation, nothing.

This is Renault, an "established" car manufacturer. They didn't know where the car was, gave me multiple delivery dates which didn't happen.

Thus the age old axiom;

"Buy French food and German cars, never German food and French cars".