Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

problems in the European delivery hell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understand your point, but all of that are not mistake, they are lack of means, read money. You need money to have more service centers, more show rooms, more people working at each service center, each show room, etc...Tesla simply to afford to built in ten years the same service center network than BMW or Jaguar had built in almost a century of existence.

Gosh, if ever there was an argument for Tesla to sell through traditional dealers, there it is. Imagine if they hadn't had to make that investment? The Model 3 was the fifth best-selling light duty vehicle in the US last month, you think some dealers might have wanted in on that? And paid Tesla for the privilege?

I understand not trusting traditional dealers to sell your EV, but not trusting them to the tune of whatever Tesla's got invested in their dealer / service network, seems like a fool's errand.

... it makes me angry that the shorts forced Tesla into a position where the company felt obligated to make quarterly profits. Shorts who spread misinformation and manipulate stock prices for profits are parasites on society.

Hold up a minute here. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. One can't freely accept all that sweet, sweet IPO money, and then lament how hard the open markets have been on your company.

Just because Elon likes being a media darling, does not mean he can gripe about everyone giving such close scrutiny to what he does.

It doesn't matter, because all he has to do is announce the Model Y and open reservations with $X deposit, and the money flows back in again. Repeat with the pickup. Elon's a master at the game. Tesla will be fine.

Tesla bought quite many car carriers already

Oh no, they were supposed to be building their own, remember? Never have I heard such blatant nonsense.

Well, up until he said 30 minute body repairs would be possible.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Gosh, if ever there was an argument for Tesla to sell through traditional dealers, there it is. Imagine if they hadn't had to make that investment? The Model 3 was the fifth best-selling light duty vehicle in the US last month, you think some dealers might have wanted in on that? And paid Tesla for the privilege?

I understand not trusting traditional dealers to sell your EV, but not trusting them to the tune of whatever Tesla's got invested in their dealer / service network, seems like a fool's errand.

Hold up a minute here. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. One can't freely accept all that sweet, sweet IPO money, and then lament how hard the open markets have been on your company.

Just because Elon likes being a media darling, does not mean he can gripe about everyone giving such close scrutiny to what he does.

It doesn't matter, because all he has to do is announce the Model Y and open reservations with $X deposit, and the money flows back in again. Repeat with the pickup. Elon's a master at the game. Tesla will be fine.

Oh no, they were supposed to be building their own, remember? Never have I heard such blatant nonsense.

Well, up until he said 30 minute body repairs would be possible.
FSD this year!!!

Today a bunch of Norwegian customers recived this text message from Tesla:
Tesla said:
TESLA Update: Your Model 3 is ahead of schedule and we can deliver your vehicle early. If you are available to take delivery this Friday or Saturday, please reply YES and we will contact you to update your schedule. Please note we will need your final invoice paid prior to this delivery. To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP.

And then, up to two hours later:
Tesla said:
TESLA - Update: You will have received an SMS message a short moment ago notifying you that your car was available to pick up earlier than expected. We are really sorry to confirm that this message was sent out in error. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and are working hard to solve this and importantly get your car ready as quickly as we can. We will reach out as soon as we have the confirmed date for you.

Tesla isn´t making things easier for themselves.

I am from Belgium and also receives those two SMS today. They were followed up by a call from Tesla telling me that my car was on the boat arriving Friday evening and that they were considering a delivery for me next Friday!

He also did apologized for those two erroneous texts...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Just for the record: my e-Golf has now been delivered and I am finally a happy BEV driver. That said, until our Model 3 arrives, my wife will be driving the e-Golf most of the time and I still use my BMW for most routes.

Latest news from Tesla: they wrote an email saying they will contact me shortly about a financing offer. Hopefully they won't take too long for this to happen, as quite frankly the car itself to me is more important. I can get alternative financing elsewhere, should the Tesla offer be too unattractive.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Today I was at the Nuremberg Service Center to pick up two Model 3s. Everything went smooth.

There were not many people (customers) standing around, just some staff - all very busy.

Apparently we were the only pick-ups scheduled for today. The delivery person said they had delivered over 50 M3 since Monday. A car carrier full of M3 just arrived while I was inspecting the paperwork. There were plenty of M3s on the lot, getting prepped.

So my take of the situation is:
As predicted the chaos is subsiding. Quicker than I would have hoped for. People are working their ass off to get the cars moving.

It would have been very inefficient if Tesla had installed capacity for many deliveries before knowing the exact time and the exact locations where the deliveries will be taking place. They are hiring (and have been for several weeks). This is a very efficient way to manage this, albeit with little room for problems that might surface. For example there seems to have been a problem with the computer program generating the invoices (solved). To my knowledge that was a problem that made the chaos worse.

All will be good.

And by the way: for all of you who do not have their car yet: once you get in the car, everything else will be forgiven and forgotten. Believe me. The car is over the top. Its quicker than the roadster (roomier too), and almost als comfortable as the MS and MX. This is a unique car and much better than anything I have driven before. This is the better BMW M3 (in my opinion).

Today I was at the Nuremberg Service Center to pick up two Model 3s. Everything went smooth.

How were you able to insure the Model 3? Every insurer I called said it would take until the end of February before insurance for the Model 3 could be calculated. Have also been trying all the usual online calculation tools but none of them recognize the HSN and TSN for the Model 3 that Tesla provided me with (1480 and AAR for LR AWD).

Speaking of which, haven't heard anything from Tesla lately concerning my delivery. Hope things finally get rolling soon.

How were you able to insure the Model 3? Every insurer I called said it would take until the end of February before insurance for the Model 3 could be calculated. Have also been trying all the usual online calculation tools but none of them recognize the HSN and TSN for the Model 3 that Tesla provided me with (1480 and AAR for LR AWD).

Speaking of which, haven't heard anything from Tesla lately concerning my delivery. Hope things finally get rolling soon.
Could well be you are almost there ;) I just got the appointment for delivery in Tilburg and seeing you also ordered 19 inch wheels ...

It doesn't matter, because all he has to do is announce the Model Y and open reservations with $X deposit, and the money flows back in again. Repeat with the pickup. Elon's a master at the game. Tesla will be fine..

Seriously. There is a movement here in TX to allow Tesla to be able to sell directly in TX. I'm honestly not sure whether I support it or not. I feel like they need to have their feet held to the fire. The current setup is not working at all.

Deliveries have started in Switzerland but it is now impossible to get in touch with someone at Tesla regarding next steps. Other than seeing a final invoice appear in my Tesla account with a delivery date of next Tuesday, I haven’t heard anything. I paid the balance due and keep calling Tesla to get confirmation that my car will indeed be ready but am put on an endless hold loop. I went by a store and asked a representative what’s going on. Her only reply was “they are going crazy over there”.

• Informative
I was then lucky: We have two cars on order. The first to be delivered required some communication by phone and mail, as the website was locked for registrations other than personal. The delivery date appeared on the website after those details were settled and that had to be shifted by a day by phone. A day later we got confirmation of the new date by phone, followed the same day by a confirming mail including the final invoice. As we did not have to call lately again, I cannot specify waiting times.

At the call I asked about the second car. The operator said: "One moment please I look it up. Ok - it is in Europe and its transport to Switzerland is not yet scheduled. Could be travelling to your country in about a weeks time."
To me that is entirely acceptable. Trucking and customs formalities processing are not a clockwork business around here. Just small parcels from Alibaba and Amazon are delivered promptly.
The whole process for us was awfully normal. A less rigidly conceived website would have reduced the need for calls. A typical IT-problem: Producing software that works as helpdesk call generator.

When I drive home from work by commuter train I happen to pass the Frankfurt delivery center. Yesterday there were quite a few Model 3s parked in their lot. Unfortunately none of them looked like my config...

Could well be you are almost there ;) I just got the appointment for delivery in Tilburg and seeing you also ordered 19 inch wheels ...

Actually, while I did indeed order the 19'' wheels, Tesla called my a couple of weeks ago asking me whether I would also like their winter tires. I said yes, so my Model 3 will be delivered with winter tires on 18'' Aero wheels, while the 19'' set will be delivered to my doorstep free of charge. Which is quite a good thing because I intend to have them mounted locally once the time comes to change back to summer tires.

Still, no news from the insurance companies. I guess everyone who already had their delivery insured the Model 3 via so-called "group insurance". This would be possible for me as well, but not advisable as group rates are much more expensive than what I will have to pay, as group insurance rates don't take into account a long accident-free driving record or other bonuses that normal individual insurance rates offer.

Last edited:
I was then lucky: We have two cars on order. The first to be delivered required some communication by phone and mail, as the website was locked for registrations other than personal. The delivery date appeared on the website after those details were settled and that had to be shifted by a day by phone. A day later we got confirmation of the new date by phone, followed the same day by a confirming mail including the final invoice. As we did not have to call lately again, I cannot specify waiting times.

At the call I asked about the second car. The operator said: "One moment please I look it up. Ok - it is in Europe and its transport to Switzerland is not yet scheduled. Could be travelling to your country in about a weeks time."
To me that is entirely acceptable. Trucking and customs formalities processing are not a clockwork business around here. Just small parcels from Alibaba and Amazon are delivered promptly.
The whole process for us was awfully normal. A less rigidly conceived website would have reduced the need for calls. A typical IT-problem: Producing software that works as helpdesk call generator.

I agree - communication can solve a lot of the issues. I paid the final invoice quickly assuming that the 26 Feb delivery date on the invoice means I'll get my car then. Now I am not so sure...

This will be my second Tesla so I should be used to the lack of communication. It still doesn't make it a good thing.

The Tesla chaos is only ~20% of what I had to go through to first register the car for temporary export plates in Germany and then once again register the car in Poland for good... :D But this is kind of self inflicted, since I decided not to wait for "Other Europe" deliveries and thanks to a very kind and extremely helpful TMC member I managed to buy the car in Germany and export it (still dealing with some paperwork here, but driving to London tomorrow for a month!).

But as was said before - this car is soooooooo worth it. Best purchase I have ever made in my life. I haven't felt so much joy with a product since maybe the original iPhone (2G) imported from the US. For the last few days I can't wait to wake up in the morning to drive it.

It is crazy that after all this time delivering cars, that is hasn't gotten any better. You hear these stories over and over. For being such a tech leading company, whoever is in charge of logistics is horrible. At some point they have to address this issue as well as the service issues. Not talk and tweet about it, but actually fix it.

• Love
The problem is that Tesla keeps wanting to insist that it's a tech company. So that's how they're structured, and that's how they act.

No one ever convinced Elon yet that they are a car company, since that is their primary product. It's as if he doesn't think other cars are filled with "tech" also.

Tesla needs more automotive logistics experts on staff, and quickly.

Reactions: neroden and nervus