Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems opening the charge port with the home cord button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my X for over a year and recently it has started being fickle about whether the button will open the charge port. I don't know if there was a software change. Sometimes it opens the way it should and other times I have to use my app to open the door. Opening the lift gate when I park seems to be one of the triggers. The charge port will not open even if the gate has been closed before I press the charge cord button. This never used to be a problem. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

I have tried messaging with Tesla and they told me to contact my local office. I left a message at the local office and it has not been returned in over a week. I don't know how Tesla expects to survive with such pathetic service. I should not have to go to a blog to get help.

Thanks!

Anyone have issues with charge port opening by itself? When I close it manually and get in the car, it opens again. :mad: It only closes when I put the car in reverse. My seat also goes to my driver setting like usual but then goes back to easy entry. I've rebooted 3 times and still not working right. Hopefully update will fix it.

Anyone have issues with charge port opening by itself? When I close it manually and get in the car, it opens again. :mad: It only closes when I put the car in reverse. My seat also goes to my driver setting like usual but then goes back to easy entry. I've rebooted 3 times and still not working right. Hopefully update will fix it.
This happened to us after our key fob got soaked. If your key fob is not new perhaps consider replacing the battery?

This seems to be an intermittent problem with the recent software updates. Sometimes it works - and sometimes we open the charge port manually by pushing on it.

It was reliable prior to the recent software updates.

You will find many threads here discussing this problem. 2019.8.6 seems to have fixed the problem for most people. So you probably just need to wait until a new software version is pushed to your car that fixes the problem. In the meantime, you can push on the front edge of the door to open it manually.
Good to know. I also got the same problem as the OP introduced on 2019.8.5 along with other issues like radio functions delayed and rear camera freezing. Waiting for the next update to see if that fixes things.

Did have this appear recently but during one of the subsequent updates it seems to have been fixed again. Currently running 2019.12.1 but installing yet another version tonight.

P.S. IIRC the receiving antenna is in the trunk area so pointing the charger handle at the rear window as you press the button may help with opening the charge port

Reactions: DCGOO and nanimac