TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Problems setting up Homelink

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by guyG, Sep 10, 2017.

1. guyG

guyG Member

I tried several times to install the Homelink-function. Without success...

I tried about everything, from following strickly the manual, to other variations... Nothing helps.

Has anyone encountered the same problems? Any helpfull tips?..

Thanks in advance.

guyG
    (Belgium)

2. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

First, remove all codes from your Opener -- follow the manufacturer's instructions. Also following the HomeLink set up, remove all codes from the Tesla. Sometimes having a clean start on the programming with both the opener and the Tesla.

If that still doesn't work, you may need a Homelink repeater. For some reason, some Garage openers do not function with HomeLink. The repeater acts as a secondary signal device--It receives the car signal, and transmits a compatible signal to the opener. I had to install one with my Wife Toyota Avalon w/Home Link.

I would suggest you contact Home Link, and explain the system is not working with your Tesla. Have the model of the Garage Door opener as well when you make the call. If it is a "compatibility" issue, Home link will generally send you a repeater at no cost. If not, you can purchase the repeater.

• Like x 1
  3. guyG

guyG Member

Many thanks for this answer.

I'll try this .

guyG

4. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

#4 FlyF4, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Aljohn hit on the biggest problem. The most common issue is that people will already have 2 or 3 sequences programmed into the Homelink for a couple of cars they own or keypads outside the garage door. Many of the openers have a very limited number of links they will allow (like 3 max).

Another issue is some people with aluminum garage doors that block the signal. Make sure the transmit/receive wire on the garage door opener is straight up or down and not coiled up.

• Informative x 1
  5. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Thanks for the input @FlyF4 (do you really?, if so that is sooooo cool). I have three cars with home link and two key pads. They all function well with the Openers and the Homelink repeater. After installing the repeater, I updated the garage opener, and reprogrammed the cars and added the new key pad with no issue.

6. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

GREAT. Glad you solved it. @FlyF4...... not any more.... that was 40 years ago in Vietnam (Navy)

• Like x 1
  7. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

My experience with the limit on the number of links is that it will drop the oldest one, but new remotes/cars should still pair. I also had the incompatibility issue and had to get an external secondary receiver from the manufacturer. I called them about the problem and they sent it for free.

• Like x 1
  8. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

Yup, I agree with that to a certain extent. Some brands will do as you say and others will simply stop accepting new codes once the limit is reached on the opener, thus requiring to clear all codes and start over.

9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I also had an issue, and following the manual (and the car’s automated process) didn’t work, but made up my own sequence, which worked. YMMV:

I followed the on-screen instructions, which were to program the car using the hardware door opener’s remote That went well (I know this is where many issues arise). Then, the part about programming the opener (‘learning’, etc.) using the car didn’t work:

What I did after the fact was to press the appropriate button on the door opener (programming, etc.), and then press the Homelink button (what I’d set up on the car (called ‘Garage’) to transmit the new learned ‘opener’ signal like it was just another transmitter) twice.

Doing it manually that way worked perfectly to train the opener what the new signal was from the car, where the ‘automated’ method built in to the car’s Homelink programming process didn’t. Go figure. Hope that helps someone!

10. Big John

Big John Member

It is cool when you get it set up. I programmed both my gate opener and garage door opener with the Homelink. Jury still out on using the auto-open/close feature. Not that hard to close either the gate or door on the X with auto.