Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems setting up Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried several times to install the Homelink-function. Without success...

I tried about everything, from following strickly the manual, to other variations... Nothing helps.

Has anyone encountered the same problems? Any helpfull tips?..

Thanks in advance.

guyG
(Belgium)

First, remove all codes from your Opener -- follow the manufacturer's instructions. Also following the HomeLink set up, remove all codes from the Tesla. Sometimes having a clean start on the programming with both the opener and the Tesla.

If that still doesn't work, you may need a Homelink repeater. For some reason, some Garage openers do not function with HomeLink. The repeater acts as a secondary signal device--It receives the car signal, and transmits a compatible signal to the opener. I had to install one with my Wife Toyota Avalon w/Home Link.

I would suggest you contact Home Link, and explain the system is not working with your Tesla. Have the model of the Garage Door opener as well when you make the call. If it is a "compatibility" issue, Home link will generally send you a repeater at no cost. If not, you can purchase the repeater.

Reactions: FlyF4
Aljohn hit on the biggest problem. The most common issue is that people will already have 2 or 3 sequences programmed into the Homelink for a couple of cars they own or keypads outside the garage door. Many of the openers have a very limited number of links they will allow (like 3 max).

Another issue is some people with aluminum garage doors that block the signal. Make sure the transmit/receive wire on the garage door opener is straight up or down and not coiled up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guyG
Thanks for the input @FlyF4 (do you really?, if so that is sooooo cool). I have three cars with home link and two key pads. They all function well with the Openers and the Homelink repeater. After installing the repeater, I updated the garage opener, and reprogrammed the cars and added the new key pad with no issue.

Thanks for the input @FlyF4 (do you really?, if so that is sooooo cool). I have three cars with home link and two key pads. They all function well with the Openers and the Homelink repeater. After installing the repeater, I updated the garage opener, and reprogrammed the cars and added the new key pad with no issue.

GREAT. Glad you solved it. @FlyF4...... not any more.... that was 40 years ago in Vietnam (Navy)

Reactions: boaterva
Aljohn hit on the biggest problem. The most common issue is that people will already have 2 or 3 sequences programmed into the Homelink for a couple of cars they own or keypads outside the garage door. Many of the openers have a very limited number of links they will allow (like 3 max).

Another issue is some people with aluminum garage doors that block the signal. Make sure the transmit/receive wire on the garage door opener is straight up or down and not coiled up.
My experience with the limit on the number of links is that it will drop the oldest one, but new remotes/cars should still pair. I also had the incompatibility issue and had to get an external secondary receiver from the manufacturer. I called them about the problem and they sent it for free.

Reactions: FlyF4
My experience with the limit on the number of links is that it will drop the oldest one, but new remotes/cars should still pair. I also had the incompatibility issue and had to get an external secondary receiver from the manufacturer. I called them about the problem and they sent it for free.
Yup, I agree with that to a certain extent. Some brands will do as you say and others will simply stop accepting new codes once the limit is reached on the opener, thus requiring to clear all codes and start over.

I also had an issue, and following the manual (and the car’s automated process) didn’t work, but made up my own sequence, which worked. YMMV:

I followed the on-screen instructions, which were to program the car using the hardware door opener’s remote That went well (I know this is where many issues arise). Then, the part about programming the opener (‘learning’, etc.) using the car didn’t work:

What I did after the fact was to press the appropriate button on the door opener (programming, etc.), and then press the Homelink button (what I’d set up on the car (called ‘Garage’) to transmit the new learned ‘opener’ signal like it was just another transmitter) twice.

Doing it manually that way worked perfectly to train the opener what the new signal was from the car, where the ‘automated’ method built in to the car’s Homelink programming process didn’t. Go figure. Hope that helps someone!

Couple things to try. First, my remote for my Genie garage door opener was not detected by my Model3 until I held it literally 1/2" from the front bumper. Then my garage opener had a "learning" button that I had to press which is on the drive motor at the ceiling, and then I had to push the train button in the car so they could both connect. Well that didn't work until I quickly hit the back button in the car and the train button again. Apparently the opener wants you to do it a 2nd time for confirmation. The instructions tell you to have the car outside in front of the garage? I had mine parked directly under the drive motor in the garage and was successful. This was especially useful for running the training part of the process which required I press the button at the ceiling and then the training button in the car twice. It's a great feature when it works. Looking forward to trying out the function that automatically opens the door when you are driving up to the house. Good luck all!