Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Autopilot and Autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When on Autopilot in La Grande Motte (Côte d’Azur), the car had to break and did so, but there was a sneering sound, really hard, like iron on iron and even if I drove 45 miles (70 km) the car breaks for a second, let go, breaks again for a second and like that for a third time. The sneering sound was not good at all. Maybe because it was iron on iron but the car did break, going forward, then backward…….

When arriving home i went to the Store in Aartselaar they checked the car for an hour, which costed me 55 €, but they did not find anything. Maybe there was a little stone blocked somewhere, do not know myself.

Had this once on the breaks on my X5.

Beside the problem I had in the South of France, Autopilot itself is not working good for me….had problems once with it, when the car was not responding when an obstical was before me. So I did hit the breaks myself. This was scary.

Thought it was a one time error, but no, last week when driving 70 km/hour (44 miles) in the city where the road took a turn to the right, some 120° where it was allowed to drive 44 miles, I had cars left of me, to turn left at the lights, cars on the right to turn to the right and on my road to drive straight only one car was waiting for the red light.

So I arrive fast (22 yards a second = 44 miles or 70 km per hour) and was waiting for the breaks to work, since when I see a car before me, tesla sees the car also or should.

I was some 55 yards away from the car, but the car did NOT break in time, a second later I hit the breaks myself, since loosing 22 yards for the extra second that I waited, there only was some 33 yards (30 meters) to stop and waiting for another second would be disastrous…..since I could not go left or right…

I hit the breaks hard and I had about one meter left before impact. People on the left and right lanes, must have thought I was asleep but no it was the car.

So the computer is probably way to slow for a fast reaction, because when driving on the highway or road where one can drive 56 miles to 75 miles per hour and you drive after other cars then the breaks do there work.

When driving on the highway (max 75 miles or 120 km) and you are on the middle road out of 3 lines, Navigation says click to go to the left faster lane, but I am driving already at maximum speed.

Furthermore one is no longer allowed in Belgium to drive constantly in the second lane or third lane.

Which is ridiculous because if you drive on the most right lane, you encounter a truck every 100-200 meters (some 111-222 yards) and you have to go to the left, back to the right, which is ridiculous(2).

Autopilot….when you pass a truck and the shadow of the truck is on your lane, the care holds back for a split sec, annoying, if you pass under a bridge same story. When I pass a truck and on the left side there is another care, so I am in the middle…..right the car holds in.

So I give Autopilot 7 out of 10.

Autosteer…..Elon says it will be perfect at the end of the year…..i absolutely do NOT believe this.

When driving on the highway (Belgium) the maximum speed is 75 miles. When you are in the second lane (example) and there is a truck before you, you must slow down one someone is passing you. So your speed is maybe 55 miles and then you use your direction indicator and it takes for ages before you can go to the left. In fact some 7-10 clicks….which cost you at least 6 seconds to accomplish.

And then your car is on the left FREE side, so no one before you and again I can say to myself

“let’s go let’s go let’s go let’s go let’s go” which cost me some 3 seconds.

So in this case it takes minimum 9 to 10 seconds to switch lanes and your speed is 55 miles. Behind you cars are arriving at 100 miles per hour, which is not allowed but this is the real world. A lot of people drive around 90-100 miles per hour.

Can you imagine a car arriving fast, driving some 70 km faster then you (45 miles) and also they come in closer at a speed of 22 yards per sec.

So in 9 sec they do 200 yards to come and park in your trunk, waiting for you to go aside AGAIN and they get annoyed. Can you blame them?

Another problem, when trying to force the car to react faster (TJAK TJAK) Autosteer is always ended.

So Elon, it would be nice if the car would allow you to go to the left or right AFTER the first click, saving precious time.

You can give the driver the possibility so the car reacts faster, with the distance you have when you come closer to the car before you. Option 1, 2 or 3 would be nice.

I give Autosteer a 5 out of 10 and right now I am not so satisfied with it.

Am not bashing Tesla, since I will never ever drive another car, but improvement is needed here.

François