Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first try at using anything Bluetooth in the Tesla. I just picked up some remote Bluetooth speakers, and wanted to link them to the car so I could hear what was playing in the car while not actually being in the car. I followed all of the instructions for linking, and the car says I am connected to the speaker. The speaker also says I am connected to something, but I get no sound from the radio. Did I miss a step?

I had my neighbor bring her IPhone over, and it connected to the speaker and everything worked fine. I then tried to link the phone to the Tesla, and everything said it was connected on both ends. Tried her Spotify, which works in her car, and used the phone icon in the Tesla, but got no sound from the car speakers. I am wondering if the car has something wrong with its Bluetooth function, or if I am missing a step somewhere.

A.) You can't use the Tesla as a BT streaming device the way you can use your phone to stream audio to wireless earbuds, speakers and to automobiles that support BT streaming audio. (The Tesla receives the streamed audio.)

B.) Tesla supports BT streaming audio from phones to the Tesla audio system, this is also used to initiate and receive phone calls through the Tesla infotainment system's audio.

C.) Tesla also uses BT for the phone key; this is a separate BT connection between your phone and the Tesla vehicle.

D) When you have BT streaming audio setup for more than one phone, you select one phone to be the primary BT device for streaming and for phone calls.

E.) If you have different Driver Profiles setup in the Tesla it is possible to link a specific phone to the Driver Profile.

@Vettepartz nothing is wrong, your system is working as designed. The issue is that your car is not a Bluetooth source, but rather a receiver. So you can pair another source (e.g. iPhone) and play audio that originates on the iPhone through the car's speakers, but you cannot do the other direction like you are trying to do (pairing another receiver and using the Tesla as the source). Hopefully that makes sense. While it's a contrived example that few are likely to attempt, you would get the same result if you tried to pair two iPhones over Bluetooth and play some music on one and expect the other to play it through the speakers built into the phone. (*unless Apple has done something very strange and proprietary to enable something like this, but I don't believe so).

So in summary: nothing is wrong, you just can't do what you're trying to do. You could pair the Bluetooth speakers to some other source device however (iPhone, Android phone, iPad/tablet, computer, etc) and playback music from that device through the speaker.

EDIT: @jcanoe posted similar info while I was typing. Timing is everything... :)

• Informative
Reactions: Chemios and jcanoe
Can someone tell me why I'm unable to play audio that originates on my iPhone 11 through the car's speaker? I've been trying to play Spotify / amazon music both doesn't play any sounds through cars speaker, while streaming YouTube on the phone works.
thank you