Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with "early" M3 production cars??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
later build - July '19 Model 3 AWD - 10k miles so far on it and only one cosmetic issue so far (wobbly interior trim panel which mobile service replaced no questions asked - noticed 2 weeks after delivery). panel gaps are solid with only rear trunk lid slightly misaligned from left/ right - but mobile service said within specs and it doesnt bother me enough to insist on getting fixed.

what scares me is seeing youtube reviews of 2020 build model 3's and Y's with much more issues... quality should improve consistently and not be luck of the draw

Biggest issues my my Nov 18 were an off center glass roof (enough to make installing the roof rack dangerous) and a misaligned left rear door. Door fixed at SC, glass did take almost 5 months to get the part.

Drivetrain has been solid, though range is down to ~295 since the infamous fall 2019 battery nerfing update (that impacted many folks). Pretty sure I could get 310 at the optimal speed, but at 75 230 is about my max.

While there are some paint chips, door rattles, a really loud wind noise on the passenger side, panel alignment issues, and a passenger side door rattle, I knew this coming in that it is "life" with a Tesla, so I am not counting the fit and finish issues, and haven't made appointments to get those fixed. I will attempt to improve them myself. I have bought some felt tape, etc.

Rear view mirror was faulty. This took two visits, and seems like an uncommon issue.
Glove box would slam down instead of being dampened.
Water pours on the floor inside when it rains. I read that this used to happen more often in the past, so it seems they haven't fixed this very well yet in production. The Monday appointment was originally made for this.
Autopilot unavailable error. This has now happened for the second time They had my car for a few days a month ago, and it has come back. as of a week ago (this one sucks as most everything on the car stops working to include auto wipers, location based mirror unfolding, backup cameras, auto headlights, Sentry Mode, etc..

Again, Not "bashing" and look forward to my CyberTruck Pre-order still as I knew what I was getting into, but hot damn, as someone who primarily buys german cars, I thought i was ready for additional quirks, but My boss is starting to look at me weird when I take leave every other week to get my car fixed. lol.

Car just hit 2000 mi. BTW

Well, you have a right to be angry considering the severity of the problems. Especially water intrusion into the cabin. That's a big deal. The autopilot issue is probably a cabling or electrical connector problem that's a PITA to track. Wishing you luck on this.

I'm a Feb 2020 build and except for 2 very superficial paint imperfections (dull spots) on the front bumper and right rear door, the car has been flawless. And those I'm not bothering with because they can't be seen without looking for them up close. I noticed them a week after purchase when washing the car. So far, I've been through at least 2 really heavy rain storms and no leaks. So, they need to get yours squared away or consider pursuing a lemon law claim.

Sept '19 build.

Front passenger door check strap replaced due to "clunking" noise when the door was open all the way.

Rear passenger windows had to replace rubber liner, or whatever it's called, due to both being sized wrong and drooping.

Four service visits to finally fix three terrible rattles. One was on the front passenger side that was caused by the seat belt assembly not having been installed correctly. The tech told me that had I been in a wreak he wasn't sure if the belt would have worked or just come out of the side panel it was so badly installed. The other two rattles turned out to be due to the speaker grill up on the dash, the long one covered in fabric, having been installed incorrectly and it wasn't latched down.

Adjusted something in the air vents that would rattle around anytime you turned on the air

So mostly minor stuff but the rattles had me just about ready to sell the car, they would just about drive you crazy and had several passengers ask what in the world was wrong with the car.

Let’s see if I can recap everything replaced on my March 2018 build 3:

• Charge port replaced twice (early versions of this part had a water intrusion issue)
  • Mid aero shield replaced (drove through large puddle and it ripped, this is a very common issue)
  • Rear tail lights replaced due to excessive condensation (honestly the replacement lights still have the issue a little bit but it happens so rarely that I just don’t care anymore)
  • Passenger mirror assembly replaced (this was just from the black triangle piece becoming loose and causing wind noise, I was surprised that the entire mirror assembly needed to be replaced to address this)
  • Driver door window switch assembly replaced (front passenger window switch broke, a few others here have had this same exact switch also break)
It looks like a lot of things but they were all mostly minor and did not affect my ability to drive the car. I expected issues like this getting such an early build.

I picked up my Model 3 RWD June 12th, 2018 and currently have 45,000+ miles on it. Only issues so far: replaced glovebox that wouldn't stay closed, replaced HW2.5 w/ HW3.0 (did the charge pin replacement at the same time), tires don't last as long as I'd like.

Almost on the same boat. June 2018 LR RWD. Both front struts replaced 3 months into ownership. Both rear struts replaced couple weeks ago.
Taillight replaces due to condensation. Tesla refused to replace the second one and said it’s within spec.
Passenger door panel replaced due to rattle.
Clicking sound near the trunk when car is over 80mph. Tesla couldn’t find the problem. The sound is still there.
Phone is connected but when people call, no audio sometimes.
Rear glass weather stripping replaced because it was peeling off.
Now I’m on my last leg of a road trip. There’s an intermittent loud, whistle like noise from the front when driving at high speed in cross wind.
Also, now there’s a message “Autopilot cameras unavailable”. No feed from both side cameras for some reason.

Yes still like the car but it is testing my patience.

Thing is EVERY automaker has problem cars, including Toyotas. On the other hand, less reliable cars from Chrysler and Jeep, you'll find owners swear they never had an issue with those cars.
It's about probability, YMMV. While no one can argue how fun it is to drive a Tesla, Tesla vehicle's reliability is NOT on par with the likes of Honda/Toyotas.

Thing is EVERY automaker has problem cars, including Toyotas. On the other hand, less reliable cars from Chrysler and Jeep, you'll find owners swear they never had an issue with those cars.
It's about probability, YMMV. While no one can argue how fun it is to drive a Tesla, Tesla vehicle's reliability is NOT on par with the likes of Honda/Toyotas.

Fit and finish, agreed. Point A -to-B reliability? Disagreed. Mechanical reliability? Disagreed. Up to the 2019 (possibly 2020)models, the Corolla, rated as one of the most reliable cars had 3-4 major recalls: fuel pump, CVT, Airbags. The first two can lead to stalling (so point A to B not garanteed) and the third, death (Airbags not deploying). Also, there is a widespread cruise control issue which can lead to unintended acceleration. And recalls don't happen because only a couple people had problems.

Longterm, I'd bet on a Tesla being less costly to maintain as the miles pile on.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Vin 55,180 August 2018 Delivery (M3P). A couple of quality issues at delivery (panel gap in left rear quarter panel, paint chips), but other than a charge port pin replacement that was a service bulletin item, no issues with the car. They took care of all delivery issues quickly with no hassles. I have almost 40k miles on the car and no rattles or squeaks yet. I did have the HW 3 upgrade about six months ago. Trim alignment is great, by the way. Reliability has been perfect. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Kinda early Dec '17 VIN 14xx
No issues . Other than Charge cable got replaced with an updated version. Original had issues (in other Model 3's) and was replaced automatically during new tire service. I never had a problem with it - plugged in 95% of the time when home.

Fit and finish was fine on delivery. Had side window unexpected roll down - but that was due to a deficient left knee. Apparently the operator of said knee (that being me) liked to rest his knee where it would actuate the window switch. But I blame the car with it's "one-pedal" driving. So, that may be considered an issue. And having to deal with the fact that it seems only motorcycles offer any serious competition.

Fit and finish, agreed. Point A -to-B reliability? Disagreed. Mechanical reliability? Disagreed. Up to the 2019 (possibly 2020)models, the Corolla, rated as one of the most reliable cars had 3-4 major recalls: fuel pump, CVT, Airbags. The first two can lead to stalling (so point A to B not garanteed) and the third, death (Airbags not deploying). Also, there is a widespread cruise control issue which can lead to unintended acceleration. And recalls don't happen because only a couple people had problems.

Longterm, I'd bet on a Tesla being less costly to maintain as the miles pile on.
I hope you're right, but as it currently stands, Tesla is unproven where Toyota/Honda already has a reputation.
Also, if you watch the high mileage Teslas videos, I could be wrong, but EVERY SINGLE ONE of those cars in the videos has mechanical issues that required fixes. Good thing is they were all fixed under warranty.
Long term, electric cars NO DOUBT will become more reliable than ICE cars, but, I highly doubt we're there now. Remember, Toyota and Honda didn't become the juggernaut they are today overnight, it took decades.