Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Home Energy Gateway App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally was able to set up a wifi connection to my home internet network. Since my gateway celllular connection is still coming on only from 2pm -8pm give or take an hour, I was only able to access the TEG wifi during those times only. It was during that time that I was able to log in and connect the wifi. Otherwise, outside of those times the TEG wifi was not able to be logged on. Now I can check my app and it works all the time now as before the cellular went out. Still haven't solved the intermittent cellular connection though.
Maybe time to disconnect the cell side of connectivity?

An update on our configuration.

We have wired, wireless and cellular. When the system was installed, I verified everything was working. However...

Over the weekend, I've been troubleshooting problems on our local network - we have something that is causing us to loose connections to the internet for several seconds at a time, and when that happens, also have difficulty accessing local devices. Haven't identified the cause - which could be a problem with our cable modem, router, network switch or even a single device or wired connection.

During testing, it appears the wired connection to our TEG may be having problems. The network seemed to be better when the wired TEG connection was disconnected (though I'll need to do more thorough testing to verify this).

While the TEG wired connection was disconnected, I then tried to access the TEG via WiFi - and discovered the WiFi connection had turned off. I had to reconnect the wired connection and manually re-connect the TEG to WiFi. And after I disconnected the wired connection, a series of PING tests showed the WiFi connection is very unstable - with short periods when no data was getting through. This is surprising because on the inside of the garage, our Tesla S & X and smart sprinkler controller have no problems connecting to our WiFi network - with two mesh routers located in rooms above and adjacent. But on the outer wall of our garage, evidently all of the electrical gear is making the WiFi connection unreliable.

It's possible we are having problems with our TEG. We're also tracking down interference on the powerline, which is causing intermittent connection problems between our microinverters and their control panel (which communicates over powerline to the microinverters).

If you're concerned about the wired or wireless connection to your TEG, recommend running a ping test to verify you have a reliable connection (ping -n 100 xx.xx.xx.xx; where "100" tells ping to do the test 100 times).

Hello,
I've been reading all the posts and I'm a bit worried about all the problems people are having with connections.
I have a rental in Oregon that I'm installing a solar array and two powerwalls in the middle of this month.
There is a possibility the renter will not allow the Powerwall on his network.
Does the cellular come standard with the Powerwalls ?
Does the gateway handle the communications?
Does the cellular connection give you full access to the Powerwall: settings etc? Can you log in remotely via the cellular network or is it only to upload data and firmware updates?
I was thinking I might need a cellular modem to log into the system. Has anyone done this?
So much I don't know.
Thanks for the help

Does the cellular come standard with the Powerwalls ?
Yes.

Does the gateway handle the communications?
Yes.

Does the cellular connection give you full access to the Powerwall: settings etc?
Yes.

Can you log in remotely via the cellular network or is it only to upload data and firmware updates?
You cannot log in as installer over cellular. You use a smart phone app to control the system.

I was thinking I might need a cellular modem to log into the system. Has anyone done this?
No, you don't need a cellular modem.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
@power.saver, thanks so much for your answers. The installer told me that there was only Ethernet and WiFi available.
Best regards
@MichaelS That would be new. This would not surprise me because cellular networks cost Tesla to operate. Ethernet is most snappy. Look into 600V double jacket Ethernet cable if you are a sparky / electrician to connect to your existing solar inverter!

Well, I dinged the installer again, and after consulting with Tesla, the Powerwalls do still have cellular, but I think it's only for monitoring. Firmware updates need to be installed via Ethernet or WiFi.

@MichaelS That would be new. This would not surprise me because cellular networks cost Tesla to operate. Ethernet is most snappy. Look into 600V double jacket Ethernet cable if you are a sparky / electrician to connect to your existing solar inverter!

Well, I dinged the installer again, and after consulting with Tesla, the Powerwalls do still have cellular, but I think it's only for monitoring. Firmware updates need to be installed via Ethernet or WiFi.
Also incorrect. My system was installed in late Feb 2018 and only communicates on cellular. I get the firmware updates regularly.

• Informative
Reactions: bemyax and aesculus