Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with J1772 adapter at ChargePoint and EATON stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
I had trouble using my J1772 adapter at a Chargepoint station over the weekend .The adapter would not click into the J1772 plug and so charging would not start. There were 4 different stations at this one garage and I tried 2 of them.

I have previously had a problem with an EATON charger in Baltimore, MD but using what I consider to be excessive force I was able to get the adapter to click into the J1772 plug and charging proceeded normally.

The worst part about this whole thing was that b/c i was not able to charge (and I was only 10-15 miles short of the range I needed) it added over an hr to my trip time b/c I had to drive from Salem to Dedham (in traffic) and then back to Auburn, MA. (the deviation alone was 10 miles in each direction.

The thing is I have a clipper creek CT 100 at my summer home that I use the adapter with a few times a month without incident. it works flawlessly.

has anyone else had trouble using the J1772 adapter with ChargePoint or EATON chargers?

The problem I've seen with J1772 nozzles is that some have a soft plastic O-ring inside as a weather seal. If people aren't careful when using the J1772 plug it can get dislodged and will jam the plug in use. I've used a file blade on my knife to put the O-ring back in its seat but when it gets too damaged to repair I just take it out; it isn't really necessary for charging in rain or snow IME.

So, my suggestion would be to look for an O-ring problem with a balky J1772 plug.

I use ChargePoint chargers every day of the week, literally. I've run into a couple (like maybe 1%) that have something in the socket holes that doesn't fit the adapter right. It feels like I could probably force it (like really reef on it) and make it seal but it felt like it would be damaging something in the pins. One location I know of that has 6 or 8 stations has one that is consistently screwed up like this.

So I think you might have just hit a couple of bad ones and maybe the Tesla adapter is pretty exacting as far as fit so it a Chargepoint is a like wonky, it doesn't fit.

I had trouble using my J1772 adapter at a Chargepoint station over the weekend .The adapter would not click into the J1772 plug and so charging would not start. There were 4 different stations at this one garage and I tried 2 of them.

I have previously had a problem with an EATON charger in Baltimore, MD but using what I consider to be excessive force I was able to get the adapter to click into the J1772 plug and charging proceeded normally.

The worst part about this whole thing was that b/c i was not able to charge (and I was only 10-15 miles short of the range I needed) it added over an hr to my trip time b/c I had to drive from Salem to Dedham (in traffic) and then back to Auburn, MA. (the deviation alone was 10 miles in each direction.

The thing is I have a clipper creek CT 100 at my summer home that I use the adapter with a few times a month without incident. it works flawlessly.

has anyone else had trouble using the J1772 adapter with ChargePoint or EATON chargers?

Same problem here in a location in Sausalito, Ca. It appears there is something sticking in the Chargepoint, "Yazaki Infra Assembly" fitting which attaches to our J1772 adapters. Our Facilities manager contacted Chargepoint, who later sent a part, which his group installed. It worked well for about 6 months. Now, it is sticking again. I have not seen this problem in other areas and I have had this Tesla for 4 years. There IS an issue with Chargepoint.