Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with: Multiple Drivers and Multiple Phones per Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Tesla owner here. I've had my MY for a little over 2 months. It's our first EV, much less first Tesla.

I am the reason why we have the Tesla. I was the driving force behind the purchase. As such, we bought the car on my Tesla Account, and when we took the delivery I did the initial configuration, for my driver profile, matching my
key card to my personal smart phone (Google Pixel 2). For whatever reason, I basically never have any problems with using that phone. As that phone approachs the car, it does *all the things* it's supposed to do. Automatic lock as I walk away. Unlock when I pull on the door. Sense that a key is nearby and let me put it into Drive or Reverse. It's great.

BUT - I have a second phone, an iPhone 8 "work phone." And I have a second driver, my wife, who owns a Google Pixel 3. My work iPhone is tied to the same driver profile as my personal phone. My wife has her own driver profile created and tied to her phone. And *all of the things* do not work seamlessly with either of these two phones as they approach or walk away from the car. The doors don't automatically lock when I walk away, the door won't unlock when I pull on it, and at least for me personally, sometimes I have to pull my work phone out, open the app, and then close it, to get the car to recognize that it's me and let me put the car in reverse to get out the driveway.

Anybody else have these sorts or problems with multiple drivers and multiple phones per driver? Any tips on what to do to get all phone keys to work equally well?

I am not sure about linking one Key Card to 2 phones (Pixel 2 and work iPhone). I'll leave that to someone else.

My wife and I each have a phone linked to a different key card with our own profiles. All work as they should.

1) Do the phones have Bluetooth ON?

2) Did your wife, while linked to her Pixel 3, change all of the Control settings to her personal preference? (same with your iPhone - are the settings back to stock, or customized when you don't use the Pixel 2).

3) Did you link a different key card to your wife's Pixel 3?
3a) If yes, try to re-connect the phone/card. Put your Pixel 2 in the house, unlock with the key card, open the app and link the car with the different key card to the Pixel 3, without the car sensing the Pixel 2 also.

4) For both your wife and your work iPhone, do you have Location awareness set to Always? This will allow the car to detect the phone as you pull the door handle. For iPhone: Settings / Privacy / Location Services (ON) / Scroll down to Tesla -> Always (not, when in use)

Last edited: