Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with my MS 2015 P85D, need as much info as possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

Im a relative new member and have browsed the forum a bit, and today on some errands my Model S 2015 P85D threw some errors at me (see added images) and a couple of hours later (with stops where the car entered sleep) regenerative braking stopped working. Have this happend to anyone else? is there something I can try to do so its driveable till 7th of september when my service appointment is? (service appointment was originally for re-sealing of the HV battery, but ive added these details to it today).

So a little more detail:

Current SoC: 57% (which should not affect the regen brakes).

After a restart, the errors in the pictures bellow went away and i managed to drive home.

A while later i went for a trip to the local store, and on the way back the regen brakes stopped working completely. (after a reboot from the car menu, it might work for like a second, before it goes back to not working)

Thanks in advance for any advice or information!

Pictures (dont mind the dust, and was taken before the regen stopped working):

20220825_175343.jpg
20220825_175347.jpg
20220825_175352.jpg

So I got an update.

Tesla called today and moved my appointment to next monday as the car could shut down at any moment, I delivered it to the SC today and nothing much more interesting happend until recently.

I checked the app randomly and it now said 94% charge, I thought that was weird as I left it with 84% and the SC was closed so they couldnt have charged it. I used Tessie to check if it was charged, nothing. But then I checked the max charge capacity by moving the set charge % slider to 100%... The car now got 221KM max range, down from 340+KM.

So I guess I can take that as I will get the battery replaced?

Sorry to see that happened, but yes it's good that you took it immediately to the service center. A problem with regeneration could be drive unit related or possibly battery / connection related. Another thing for them to check could be the secondary 12 V battery. Also it's good to charge up normally to a maximum of 90%. I hope they fix it for you soon! They likely should give you a free Tesla rental for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Severiner
Thanks! I'll remember that for the next time it eventually will need service again.

Good ide, I'll put it in the appointment that I want the 12V checked as well.

Another small update, the charge %is back at 84, and the max KM is normal. I really hope it was logged, and I'll still get the replacement.

Another small update, been keeping an eye on the car a little and last night it had 13km at 100%, and the car wouldn't not wake up from sleep. But today its back at normal charge again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220828-033446.jpg
    Screenshot_20220828-033446.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20220828-142220.jpg
    Screenshot_20220828-142220.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 69
Small update:

Tesla confirmed a new battery have been ordered, no info on what type or capacity. Will probably be able to check that once they update the estimate in 2-4 weeks time.

Dont know if anyone is interested enough for me to keep updating this post, but if there are, let me know and Ill post updates as things are happening.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
A small update, the battery has arrived and will be worked on when they get to it, no time estimated from the SC.

I got the parts number for the new battery, its unfortunately a 85KWh reman.

Could anyone tell me anything about this battery revision?

ASY, HV BATT, 85KWh, S3, BB, DUMO, REMANUFACTURED, MDLS, 1088934-01-E

Any information would be appriciated!

A small update, the battery has arrived and will be worked on when they get to it, no time estimated from the SC.

I got the parts number for the new battery, its unfortunately a 85KWh reman.

Could anyone tell me anything about this battery revision?

ASY, HV BATT, 85KWh, S3, BB, DUMO, REMANUFACTURED, MDLS, 1088934-01-E

Any information would be appriciated!
Should be a few who have recieved that battery lately: here is where the info is: browse these threads, or more simply put 1088934-01-E in the search box above and see what you get.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Should be a few who have recieved that battery lately: here is where the info is: browse these threads, or more simply put 1088934-01-E in the search box above and see what you get.
Thanks! I had a little read around and there is not too much information on this battery, but more then I knew before.

After some more digging it looks like its my old battery just remanufactured, that might explain why it took almost 6 weeks before they had a battery available for me.

I just saw that they set my car in service mode, so hopefully they will work on it soon. I will update once I get the car back and will ask the SC some questions regarding the battery when I pick up the car.

Thank you again for taking your time to reply, and for all the others that might follow this thread.

@Severiner in case this applies to your car and contributed to your battery failure, you may want to read this thread: Vendor - Preventative Maintenance regarding Battery Failures in early Model S vehicles (2012-2014)

If your car has the AC drain issue of releasing water directly on top of your battery, and they are putting your original battery back into your car, then now might be a good time to address the drain issue.
Thank you! I did not even think about that.

I have addressed it in a message to the SC right now, hoping they see it before they mount the "new" battery.

If it gets addressed and fixed, you might have saved future me a lot of hassle and probably even money!

Thanks! I had a little read around and there is not too much information on this battery, but more then I knew before.

After some more digging it looks like its my old battery just remanufactured, that might explain why it took almost 6 weeks before they had a battery available for me.

I just saw that they set my car in service mode, so hopefully they will work on it soon. I will update once I get the car back and will ask the SC some questions regarding the battery when I pick up the car.
I think Tesla is constructing remanufactured and new replacement battery packs as fast as they can right now, as the number of failing packs is exceeding their estimates.

I'm sure you now know more about that pack you got then the service centre does. ;) Tesla doesn't give them any information other than what is written in the product description.

Update:
Got the car back from Tesla yesterday, got a little longer range then with the broken battery so it might not be my old battery they put in. The difference is 20-40km, so not that much. They say they did not find anything wrong with any of the DUs, but couldnt specify what they did except doing a test drive and then saying everything works as expected.

They didnt have front light bulbs in stock, so they had to order and I will have to get another appointement for that. But they did change the 12v battery as well under warranty after installing the reman battery, which was nice.

Charging is as expected, the same speeds as with my old battery. I feel like the actual driveable range is reduced, but that just might be me being used to the M3 LRs range for almost 2 months, so wont think too much about it until ive done some testing on longer drives.

The SC rep told me she belived that after a battery change on warranty, if the battery should die again within 12months even if your warranty runs out, you will get it replaced under warranty. As mine runs out about halfway through next year, that sounds amazing since i got a reman and not a factory new one. But im not holding my breath on that. If I get the chance ill try to get it in writing from the rep, as ive heard that might help if the battery should go bad again after my warranty has run out.

For those of you that have followed this thread, thank you for your replies and interest. If anyone got any questions feel free to ask, and ill try to respond to the best of my abilities.

I will update again in about 6 months time with a status on the battery, or if the reman battery dies once again.

The SC rep told me she belived that after a battery change on warranty, if the battery should die again within 12months even if your warranty runs out, you will get it replaced under warranty. As mine runs out about halfway through next year, that sounds amazing since i got a reman and not a factory new one. But im not holding my breath on that. If I get the chance ill try to get it in writing from the rep, as ive heard that might help if the battery should go bad again after my warranty has run out.
If you could get that in print let us know. Check on the bottom on the phone app at the bottom on "specs and warranty" and see if the date has changed.

I will ask my service centre when I pick my car up this weekend, as my HV pack was also changed under warranty, and see what they say.

If you could get that in print let us know. Check on the bottom on the phone app at the bottom on "specs and warranty" and see if the date has changed.

I will ask my service centre when I pick my car up this weekend, as my HV pack was also changed under warranty, and see what they say.
No change in the app unfortunately. So I think she meant that the SC would take the cost if it fails during the first 12 months. Will ask once I take the car in for headlight bulb change.

That would be great if you could hear with them once you pick up your car. Its always great having multiple points for reference. But knowing Tesla it varies ALOT depending on SC to SC.

The SC rep told me she belived that after a battery change on warranty, if the battery should die again within 12months even if your warranty runs out, you will get it replaced under warranty.

Be aware that the written warranty doc is explicitly contrary to this and others in this situation have received precisely zero love from their respective service centers.

We could write a very lengthy book in the fantasy genre called “sh!t my service advisor says”.