Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems With New Android App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had issues with the new Android app not properly working? For example, if I activate HVAC from the app, it will show as being on for a second then refresh and appear off (despite it going on in the car). Same with charging - it never shows it as actually charging, just says Parked. If I click the charge icon while charging (to try and view status), it interupts and I can't restart it without unplugging and plugging back in.

I've occassionally had issues with phone key not connecting. Restarting my phone fixes it. I already have it set not to battery optimize the Tesla app. I'm on a Samsung S20FE. This wasn't an issue before the latest update (where the app desgn changed).

I've tried reinstalling the app completely but no luck. Unfortunately, I can't sideload an older version since the security policy on my phone prevents it (company phone). I've also tried restarting my car via the two scroll wheels but I get the same issue. Perhaps worth noting, one of the times I did was because I lost my mobile connection and couldn't get it back after being on wifi. Possibly related?

Last edited:
I use my Samsung S7 phone to start and stop charging as well as change max charging level on my model S. worked fine before latest app update, now is totally unreliable. Changing the slide bar for max charging level mostly doesn't work at all. So I have to go check in the car to see if it really did what I wanted, which pretty much makes the app useless.

1. The old app showed red or blue air coming out from the HVAC. Sure, with the new version I can see the internal temperature, but the at-a-glance feature was nice for knowing whether heat or AC was on (the display on the car should have that feature).

2. I don't remember if the old version was like this, but the Vent button is now right next to the raise-the-thermostat button. It was raining the other day when I was in a restaurant, and I meant to increase on the heat. When I got out to the car, the windows were open and rain was coming in (and it was cold).

3. There's no warning or "are you sure" when you vent the windows (theft risk?) as there is for opening the frunk.

4. The app (Android) crashed a few times (though it hasn't happened recently).