Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with new HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Our 90D was delivered in late March just as the new HPWC was announced. We were the first install of the new HPWC for our local electric company (who installs many Tesla setups here in the Bay Area). They installed a new 200A panel and ran 40A to the front of the house where the HPWC resides.

Unfortunately after 2 days the first HPWC stopped charging with a red ring showing on the car when plugged in. The HPWC showed a solid red LED which the manual tells me means "Hardware Failure". The electric company came and installed a replacement which worked for a couple weeks, but just this past weekend had the same failure with red LEDs at both ends.

Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with their new HPWC? I'm starting to wonder if it's something about our electrical setup. The installers are very good, they've done many of these setups previously and claim they've never had to replace a HPWC in the past.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
Hi all,

Our 90D was delivered in late March just as the new HPWC was announced. We were the first install of the new HPWC for our local electric company (who installs many Tesla setups here in the Bay Area). They installed a new 200A panel and ran 40A to the front of the house where the HPWC resides.

Unfortunately after 2 days the first HPWC stopped charging with a red ring showing on the car when plugged in. The HPWC showed a solid red LED which the manual tells me means "Hardware Failure". The electric company came and installed a replacement which worked for a couple weeks, but just this past weekend had the same failure with red LEDs at both ends.

Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with their new HPWC? I'm starting to wonder if it's something about our electrical setup. The installers are very good, they've done many of these setups previously and claim they've never had to replace a HPWC in the past.

I having the same occur but its not frequent. I think I was one of the first to receive the new HPWC; I installed it immediately and I think the red light has only occurred 4x. The first time I didn't know what to do so I reset the whole breaker, but then I read up on the error in the instruction manual and it said to just hold the Reset button on the side of the HPWC for a few seconds and that has worked every time since. Since it's fairly infrequent, I just keep an eye on it and haven't worried too much about it. It's not ideal and I would contact Tesla if it continues.

I seem to notice what causes mine to happen is a sequence when I try to unplug it: when it's plugged in and I click the button to make it turn White and unlock so I can remove the handle, if I pull the handle a little late and it locks again, then the HPWC tries to turn back on and then turns Red. (The HPWC light definitely turns Red, but I can't remember if the light on the car also turns Red). Hope that makes sense. Maybe I should make a video and see if I can reproduce it. Anyways, if I'm more careful about unplugging it then it seems like I don't have the issue. Not sure if this could be happening in your situation.

The first time this occurred I didn't try to reset before they replaced it. This next time I reset the HPWC and it's worked fine for a couple of days. It's an ok workaround but something isn't right if it's this easy to throw the "hardware failure" LED.

Hi all,

Congrats on your 90D!!

Is there an appropriate rated breaker just before the HWPC (on that 200 amp line)

Is there anything connected to that circuit other than the HWPC?

Is your dip switches inside the HPWC set to 40 amps? If set wrong/higher I'm guessing the delicate electronics board may cause problems, or get fried?? You should disconnect power FIRST, then check the DIP settings or have a qualified electrician check and verify it is set accordingly as shown in the installation guide -- there are numerous choices that maybe the electricians were not aware of. What amperage reading shows up on your 17" monitor?

I may have an video of when I set my DIP -- if you're interested. LMK.

Not related to your question, but I'm curious if your 90D has a single or dual charger?

Hi all,

FYI: you probably already know this, but as a reminder don't keep resetting your breakers or your HPWC reset buttons-- until you find out what's causing it to trip!
It's trying to tell you something is wrong and it's trying to prevent damage!! I wouldn't reset it more than 2 or 3 times without troubling first. Although the electricians are experienced, mistakes still happen -- and most likely they don't care as much about your 90D as you do!!

The first time this occurred I didn't try to reset before they replaced it. This next time I reset the HPWC and it's worked fine for a couple of days. It's an ok workaround but something isn't right if it's this easy to throw the "hardware failure" LED.

You may find solutions to your HPWC problems in the thread titled "HPWC Issues"

Please post your solution when you find it.