Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with new Tesla in the Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Tesla for three days, and I'm experiencing some frustrations. I'm hoping the forum can help:
  1. Wipers--we're getting our first snowfall and already the OEM wipers suck. They can't clear anything. I did look on the forum and see a few suggestions for alternatives: Bosch PUV and Trico, but no one said how they perform in the icy slush. Anyone have advice here?
  2. The cameras keep complaining--this is winter! I'm in Canada. We get snow here. In the middle of a left turn on a busy street, the car said "Stop!" Really? How do you tell the cameras to chill out and get used to being covered in snow without sending stupid alarms?
  3. Opening the door--today was -1o Celcius--hardly even cold by our standards--and the door handles were frozen. They had to really be forced to open. What's it going to be like in -20? Any suggestions?
  4. Tonight--it's still snowing--I went to plug in the charger (we do not have a garage, so the car is outside) and could not get the charger door to open. I had chipped away a little ice that had formed, but ultimately I had to lift it by hand once I got it to unlatch. I could tell the charge door motor did not like that. Suggestions for how to manage that problem?

I wouldn't even call it cold yet. This is just winter's first little flurry. I know people drive them in really cold places like Edmonton and Montreal, so I sure hope there are ways to resolve some of these.

Last winter the forums were flooded with Model 3s with stuck windows and charge port doors, etc. If you dig, there are some product recommendations for stuff to put on the window seals.

Also, I believe Tesla changed the software to no longer lock the charge port in the car during the winter (removing a frozen charge cable was also a problem) and maybe changed the preheat software to aim the vents at the doors.

I don't park outside, but to winterize my cars I spray dry silicon lube on all rubber parts the charger door has a rubber seal. Tesla recommends spraying neverwet on the front fascia to keep snow and ice off of it maybe spray some around the charger door while it is closed.

Living in New England taught us to spray deicer in the locks (ok Tesla has no key holes), treat the rubber seals with a safe silicon spray else doors/trunk can freeze stuck shut, lift the wipers when car is outside and precipitation is coming (so not to be frozen to glass) and other stuff like that... times we had to come out with a cup of hot water or rubbing alcohol to unfreeze ice-coated locks..

I'd never force a frozen anything, try hot water or rubbing alcohol or similar next time if the car can't unfreeze it's charger door..

Can't say I miss any of that..

Indeed the first few days of winter have greeted me with all the same issues, which brought me to the forums to see what others were experiencing. I think you forgot about the windows freezing so they don't lower on door opening and then smash against the seal when you close it :)
For the wipers, the service guy today told me you'll have to keep that recessed area clear because there's no heat there.
I'm starting to think that a heated garage may be a requirement for any prospective buyers.

Adding one more concern: range loss. I drove 200 kms on Saturday and my range dropped from 340 to 60, meaning a 30% loss of range--and it was only 0 C.
Then today, my wife drove 160 kms, and the range dropped from 320 to 38 kms, in -5 C.
This 30-40% loss at only freezing temperatures has me concerned for when real winter kicks in.

Indeed the first few days of winter have greeted me with all the same issues, which brought me to the forums to see what others were experiencing. I think you forgot about the windows freezing so they don't lower on door opening and then smash against the seal when you close it :)
For the wipers, the service guy today told me you'll have to keep that recessed area clear because there's no heat there.
I'm starting to think that a heated garage may be a requirement for any prospective buyers.
I haven't had the window problem, but today, after the big snow last night, I did pre-heat the car, so that probably accounts for that.

Adding one more concern: range loss. I drove 200 kms on Saturday and my range dropped from 340 to 60, meaning a 30% loss of range--and it was only 0 C.
Then today, my wife drove 160 kms, and the range dropped from 320 to 38 kms, in -5 C.
This 30-40% loss at only freezing temperatures has me concerned for when real winter kicks in.

That's normal because the heater uses a lot of energy. Getting the car battery happy takes a lot of energy too

The trick to reduce the range loss is to preheat the car while plugged in and to time charging to finish when you need to leave. Tesla has a new feature but it isnt 100% there yet as a solution (only will time charging properly if you leave before 6am)

The tips listed below are from Tesla:

Winter Driving Tips

As you prepare to drive your Tesla during winter, read these tips on range, storage and winter tires, to ensure the best possible ownership experience during the colder months.

Driving and Range
It is normal to see increased range consumption during colder months. Tesla cars are most efficient when their systems are operating at an optimal warm temperature. In colder months, when ambient temperatures are lower, more energy is required to maintain an optimal temperature, but Tesla cars offer many useful features to help mitigate decreased range.

Ready to Go

• Tap ‘Climate’ in the Tesla app to precondition your car and improve performance. Your cabin will maintain a set temperature if your battery is above 20 percent. You can also turn on, off, or adjust any of your seat heaters and, if available in your car, your steering wheel heater.
On the Road

• After preconditioning your car, turn on Range Mode in Model S or Model X to limit power used by your climate control. This will decrease energy used per mile and maintain range.
  • Distribute heat more efficiently by using heated seats instead of the cabin heater.
When You Park

• Charge your car when not in use at the end of the day. This will warm its systems from charging, rather than from your battery.
Storage
Your car uses energy to maintain an optimal battery temperature. If you leave your car for an extended period of time, plug it in to prevent normal range loss. This will also ensure that you return to a fully charged car. Your car is safe to leave plugged in for any length of time. Due to advanced diagnostics, the car is smart enough to protect itself from overcharging when left plugged in.

If you are unable to leave your car plugged in, increase your charge limit to 100 percent and fully charge your car. Keep in mind an unplugged Tesla loses approximately one percent of its range per day. Please refer to the ‘Battery Information’ section in your Owner’s Manual for additional details or review our Roadside Assistance policy for more information.

When not in use, Tesla cars automatically enter sleep mode to conserve range and energy. If you check your car via the Tesla app it will wake up and start normal energy consumption until it returns to sleep mode. You can avoid unintentional energy consumption by minimizing the amount of times you check your car via the app.

Additional Information

Winter Tires

• You can purchase winter tires from Tesla Service or online from the Tesla Shop.
Wipers and Mirrors

• To prevent icing, add appropriate screen wash to washer fluid. To make wiper blades easy to access so you can remove any ice and snow, touch Controls > Service > Wiper Service Mode on your car’s touchscreen to move the wipers to the service position.
  • If your car has heated mirrors, turn on the rear glass defroster to defrost them.
Windows and Doors

• At very low temperatures, ice build-up can make it more difficult to open a door.
  • Pull the door handle slightly to let the door unlatch and drop the window glass, then pull the door open.
  • Precondition your car using the Tesla app to help melt ice around doors and windows.
Regenerative Braking

• Regenerative braking may be limited if the battery temperature is too cold.
  • In extremely cold temperatures, “Regenerative Braking Disabled” may appear until the battery is warm enough.
Charging

• In cold weather, charging rates may be reduced until the battery has warmed to the optimal temperature.
  • Model 3 – When you set mobile preconditioning to HI, the climate system will help thaw your charge port in freezing conditions.
    Autopilot
    • To ensure optimal Autopilot performance, keep the sensors and radar on your car clear of snow, ice, mud and dirt.
    • You can use Rust-Oleum NeverWet Top Coat on the front fascia of your car to help prevent ice buildup on the radar sensors used by Autopilot.
      • Use Step 2 Top Coat only.
      • A hazy finish may be present after the coating is applied, but after ice resistance is no longer needed it can be easily wiped off.
    • Please refer to the ‘About Driver Assistance’ section of your Owner’s Manual for sensor location information.
For more information on how to get the most out of your ownership experience, please read the New Owner FAQ page.

What should I know about driving in cold weather?

Both cold weather and a 100 percent battery charge contribute to limiting the effect of regenerative braking. You can prep your Tesla for cold temperatures from your mobile app or car touchscreen. Follow these best practices for improving your car’s performance in cold weather:

• Precondition your car from your Tesla app for about one hour to heat your battery before driving, especially in near freezing temperatures.
  • Charge your car while preconditioning to reduce the amount of energy loss from your battery pack.
  • Turn off Range Mode to avoid limiting the power available to precondition your car, even when charging.
  • In temperatures below 40° F (4° C), use washer fluid with antifreeze. Not using antifreeze can impair visibility through the windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Unfortunately, range loss is a fact of life in the Canadian winter. There are several contributors:
1) cold batteries are just less efficient. I've temporarily seen consumption as high as 400 Wh/km for short times when batteries were very cold. But the the batteries do warm up with significant length trips, and consumption can drop from 300 Wh/km (with a cold battery) to 210 Wh/km within about 20km at -8˚C outside temp.
2) heater use a lot of power. The model 3 climate control can pull 2700W.
3) braking regeneration is reduced, due to cold batteries accepting less charging (regen) power, so the efficiency gains due to regen are partly lost
4) plowing through snow can require a lot more power. If you're driving through 3" snow (like I was last night), your consumption will reflect that''

Of course, ICE cars also lose efficiency with cold temps, just not as much or as noticeably. In winter, it's prudent to plan based on a 220-250 Wh/km consumption (compared to 150-180 in summer) for longish trips.

2) heater use a lot of power. The model 3 climate control can pull 2700W.

Unfortunately it can draw even more, i just set the heat to full blast and saw heater drawing 6.7 kW :eek:

Obviously it won't stay like that for very long, but it's surprisingly powerful

Model3HeatPowerDraw.JPG

Thanks for the insight. I guess my frustration at this stage--4 weeks in--is that I have to do math to figure out how far I'm actually going to get. I don't really even know how to convert kW too kms. Anyway, we're getting used to it ... and the snow has just arrived. Now I really need to deal with those wipers

Thanks for the insight. I guess my frustration at this stage--4 weeks in--is that I have to do math to figure out how far I'm actually going to get. I don't really even know how to convert kW too kms. Anyway, we're getting used to it ... and the snow has just arrived. Now I really need to deal with those wipers

Keep an eye on the Energy graph when you're driving (up arrow and then Energy) as it shows your watt-hours/km (basically fuel efficiency) as you drive. If you run the heat, you will see it go way up (more energy required per km). You will quickly get a feel for a general number that you get in your weather conditions in terms of wh/km.

Tesla assumes you get 240 wh/mile (or 150 wh/km if my math is right), so you can see how you are probably way above that. You can also use a website like A Better Routeplanner where you can enter your own personal reference consumption (wh/km) for it to use with trip planning.