Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with traction control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 S85D

About a year ago my front motor started throwing faults and going offline so I brought in the car under warrantee to have
the problem fixed.

During the fix..dropping down the motor, they somehow broke the steering racks and had to get some replacements.

After I got the car back, all seemed well, until 10 months later when I was driving the highway 17 from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz: Under full regen on a sweeping right right turn, the traction control would engage (on the left side only) and pulse on and off for about 3 times. Scared the heck of of me and my wife. I had to hold the wheel firmly to keep the car tracking straight. It feels like somebodies pulsing the brake only on the left wheel at about .5s intervals.

I have had TCS engauge many times before ..and on all those times it was a very quick on / off staccato thing. Not like this.

I thought this was a fluke and ignored it. On the way home it happened again. Over the next few months I had it happen more times. Always with the same m.o. I noticed that often there were cracks in the pavement that had been sealed with tar and I was hitting them. So ok, maybe TCS wants to engage but what it is doing is NOT HELPFUL.

On two other trips in other places with steep downhills/full regen had the same thing: left side brake pulsing.
I did a 'bug report' marker on one of them.

I took the car in and told them when to look for the bug report. They called me back within 4 hours to come and get the car and said, basically, "WAI". They took it too their favorite steep hill and said it was fine. Said the logs were normal..brainiacs at the home office agreed all was ok.

Didn't charge me.

Yesterday did the drive over highway 17 again and same thing. Put the regen to "low" and that solves the problem but obviously disappointing.

How can I get Telsa to fix this problem? I'm tired of my wife screaming every time this happens or having to use low regen on hilly roads.

Having video of the incident would be helpful evidence. I had to do that with a motorcycle, believe it or not. The local dealer wanted to go to bat for me but they could never reproduce my problem, even racking up a fair number of miles. It was very sporadic, so the video of the incident helped them cover the expensive harness and replacement cluster that ultimately needed to be replaced. Different situation obviously, but the principle is similar.

Having video of the incident would be helpful evidence. I had to do that with a motorcycle, believe it or not. The local dealer wanted to go to bat for me but they could never reproduce my problem, even racking up a fair number of miles. It was very sporadic, so the video of the incident helped them cover the expensive harness and replacement cluster that ultimately needed to be replaced. Different situation obviously, but the principle is similar.

Thats a really good idea!
Next time I drive the 17, I'll just video the entire thing ...then edit.