Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems With Trade In Offer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My situation is a bit weird. My 12 year old hybrid SUV drives perfectly, and has a flawless engine and other driving components. It has a now 12 year old HV battery that lost some efficiency and looses charge if idle for too many days (still get about 29-30mpg in city with A/c on). Its nearly perfect on the inside with full leather seats in very good condition. It does however have a lot of rust, some bubbling under paint, etc - none appear to affect driving ( have had it regularly checked by local auto shop) - and I recently replaced tires and swapped to ceramic brakes.

Carmax looked at the car right before shutdowns and offered 1200. Tesla originally offered 2600. I didn't want them to be surprised so I contacted them and mentioned the issues (weak battery, rust, some small dings,etc) an offered to email photos. They called me from Vegas and assured me that it won't matter, since the car still drives ok.

Now the car is in 'reevaluation' step again, for well over a week, and I am not sure what to do. I don't want to just throw the car away or sell it for peanuts (the wheels + tires probably cost more than 2k alone), and now I'm worried that Tesla won't accept the trade-in when I bring it over. I've been looking at some charities to donate, but I've been reading it's not always a good idea.

I checked Vroom ($2000) and Carvana ($1600) but they claim they re-evaluate onsite anyway so who knows that they will really offer ... What are my options? Craigslist? I don't really have time to deal with private sales, so I'm actually considering cancelling the Tesla reservation, since getting rid of old car is becoming very stressful.

I'm going to CarMax on Thursday to see what they'll offer for my Camry. If they're higher than Carvana it's all theirs. The plan is to pick up the MY on the 27th and drive both cars to CarMax and leave the Camry. Of course that's predicated on the MY actually being ready then.

My situation is a bit weird. My 12 year old hybrid SUV drives perfectly, and has a flawless engine and other driving components. It has a now 12 year old HV battery that lost some efficiency and looses charge if idle for too many days (still get about 29-30mpg in city with A/c on). Its nearly perfect on the inside with full leather seats in very good condition. It does however have a lot of rust, some bubbling under paint, etc - none appear to affect driving ( have had it regularly checked by local auto shop) - and I recently replaced tires and swapped to ceramic brakes.

Carmax looked at the car right before shutdowns and offered 1200. Tesla originally offered 2600. I didn't want them to be surprised so I contacted them and mentioned the issues (weak battery, rust, some small dings,etc) an offered to email photos. They called me from Vegas and assured me that it won't matter, since the car still drives ok.

Now the car is in 'reevaluation' step again, for well over a week, and I am not sure what to do. I don't want to just throw the car away or sell it for peanuts (the wheels + tires probably cost more than 2k alone), and now I'm worried that Tesla won't accept the trade-in when I bring it over. I've been looking at some charities to donate, but I've been reading it's not always a good idea.

I checked Vroom ($2000) and Carvana ($1600) but they claim they re-evaluate onsite anyway so who knows that they will really offer ... What are my options? Craigslist? I don't really have time to deal with private sales, so I'm actually considering cancelling the Tesla reservation, since getting rid of old car is becoming very stressful.
Will $2000 really kill the deal on your new $60,000 car?

Reactions: brkaus
@secondclaw an old rusty car is worth very little, no matter how well it drives. I’d take $1k for it and move on.

an electric or hybrid in that price range is likely worth less than an ICE. People that buy $1k cars know how to fix them and get the most they can out if it before moving to the next. They know more about patching together an ICE.

A used car will always be worth more to you than a prospective buyer, and a dealer will always kill you on it's value because they have to recondition it to sell it, or with a car your age it goes straight to auction anyway.

Tesla isn't in the used car business so none of us should be surprised by getting a low offer from them.

Craigslist? You're going to get low balled by many craigslist lurkers, so be prepared. Honestly, if you can afford a 60k dollar car then don't bother stressing yourself with Craigslist.

My last car, a 2006 Odyssey, I had my local mechanic sell it for much less than it's worth, but I didn't want to deal with buyers scheduling appointments with me and low balling me even though my listed price was going to be below market. In the end I know I could have made more if I sold it myself but I was very happy to take what I wanted from the deal and let my hard working mechanic take his cut too.

• Informative
Reactions: secondclaw
Just a reminder that if you do a trade-in, you pay sales tax on the net from cost of MY less trade-in with Tesla. If you sell your trade-in 3rd party, you pay sales tax on entire cost of vehicle. You could save several thousand if you trade-in depending on your sales tax rate and what Tesla offers you, e.g. if MY costs $60K and Tesla trade-in is $20K, sales tax is paid on $40K instead of $60K w/o trade-in. So take that into consideration when making the decision.

Depends on the state.

I've not ever heard of this before. I assume this isn't the case for California. Can anyone confirm?

Tesla offered me $18,800 for my 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (fully loaded that listed for $48K new) it was in mint condition. I then submitted a KBB Instant Cash Offer request, within an hour I was informed my car was worth $23,890 and that I would be contacted by local dealers to complete the sale. Within two hours I received two e-mails from two different dealers near me. We contacted the one nearest me and scheduled an appointment for the next day. We arrived on time and within 30 minutes we walked out with a check for $23,890. It was so easy, with no hassle or pressure. In fact, when they saw our 2017 Volt my wife drove to take me home they offered to buy that. We joked and they said they want/need Volt's and if I change my mind to contact them directly and they would "make me an offer I couldn't refuse".

So there are other options available. BTW looking at used prices on dealers lot's near me the average asking price for my vehicle is $27,900. But I wanted the car out of my garage so I have the freedom to order a Moel Y once the QC stuff ger's sorted out.

Reactions: raggedy
If you guys are curious, the used car market is screwed right now particularly because of Hertz and a lot of other big rental companies. Their business effectively disappeared due to all the travel restrictions. Hertz actually declared bankruptcy. Rental companies dumping their idle fleets onto the used market en masse has caused a massive supply glut, and is driving prices through the floor.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3