Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with with summon feature on model x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a thought...have you tried parking it both facing in and facing out? Was thinking it might summon in one direction but not the other. I seldom use my summon feature to park, but when I do, I love it. Haven't noticed that it has stopped working. Will try in when I get back out to the parking lot today.

I have a July 2018 MX and summon has never really worked reliably. I am reluctant to have the car drive itself into the garage, I have a classic car next to it, and I have large bumpers in the end of the garage to prevent it from going too far in. However retrieving the car from the garage is a pain, I usually have to do the summon 2-3 times with it erroring out, before the summon will back the car out of the garage... and sometimes the car will stop on its own and I have to start the process all over again.

And after using the enhanced summon a few times, I am leaving that alone completely. Not ready yet for prime time.

Just a thought...have you tried parking it both facing in and facing out? Was thinking it might summon in one direction but not the other. I seldom use my summon feature to park, but when I do, I love it. Haven't noticed that it has stopped working. Will try in when I get back out to the parking lot today.
Not going to back it in, and have never had to. I think there must have been a glitch with an update. Has worked perfect out of the box since buying the vehicle.

I have a July 2018 MX and summon has never really worked reliably. I am reluctant to have the car drive itself into the garage, I have a classic car next to it, and I have large bumpers in the end of the garage to prevent it from going too far in. However retrieving the car from the garage is a pain, I usually have to do the summon 2-3 times with it erroring out, before the summon will back the car out of the garage... and sometimes the car will stop on its own and I have to start the process all over again.

And after using the enhanced summon a few times, I am leaving that alone completely. Not ready yet for prime time.
I can still retrieve the car perfectly, I just suddenly stopped self-parking after one of the last 2 updates. There’s a giant support beam in our garage that could do real damage to the Tesla, but the summon feature has been flawless until it just stopped working.

My summon stopped working after the last update, it now says 'Summon is Unavailable'. I was able to get it to work with this, but the downside is you have to be close enough for the X to find your key fob:

1. Hold the roof of your key fob for 5 secs until the X blinks 3 times
2. Press the front hood to make it go forward (or the trunk to make it go backwards).
3. Press the roof to make it stop.
4. Summon/Come to Me is now available for you.

I have no idea why Summon stopped working, but it's obviously a bug.

Reactions: fr100 and ryancrase
Same, but was thinking it was after the app update, not an update to the car (might be a coincidence). Car is on v2021.24.5. I can't even get Summon to activate anymore -- perpetually says "Warming Up" so I just don't bother. In the recent past, I used Summon a *lot* to have my MX come to me whenever I'd go to physical therapy (had shoulder surgery). So cool to stand at the entrance of the parking lot, and have the car come to me from several rows over. No chance now. Summon is effectively dead for me :(

Same, but was thinking it was after the app update, not an update to the car (might be a coincidence). Car is on v2021.24.5. I can't even get Summon to activate anymore -- perpetually says "Warming Up" so I just don't bother. In the recent past, I used Summon a *lot* to have my MX come to me whenever I'd go to physical therapy (had shoulder surgery). So cool to stand at the entrance of the parking lot, and have the car come to me from several rows over. No chance now. Summon is effectively dead for me :(
Mine did that for about a week, but then another iPhone app update was pushed and it worked a couple times after that. I haven't tried this week, so maybe still broken, but I never saw the first update of the new iPhone app work for Summon here.

Reactions: BryWay
My summon stopped working after the last update, it now says 'Summon is Unavailable'. I was able to get it to work with this, but the downside is you have to be close enough for the X to find your key fob:

2. Press the front hood to make it go forward (or the trunk to make it go backwards).

Ours backs out of the right garage fine, but it stopped parking. A Tesla tech came out and said it’s a firmware issue that they don’t currently have a fix for. Bummer. I have to climb out of the window when I park now. Fun.

Well, a Tesla tech came out and said it’s a firmware issue and they don’t currently have a fix. Looks like I’ll be climbing out of the window each time I park it. Thank god I’m fairly fit at 50 years old because I’m not really that good at the Starsky and Hutch exit, but I’ll likely get pretty good at it before they come up with a fix.

• Funny
Reactions: mxnym
Well, a Tesla tech came out and said it’s a firmware issue and they don’t currently have a fix. Looks like I’ll be climbing out of the window each time I park it. Thank god I’m fairly fit at 50 years old because I’m not really that good at the Starsky and Hutch exit, but I’ll likely get pretty good at it before they come up with a fix.
I think I'd be parking outside unless it was raining or I needed to charge, possibly even in those circumstances combined, and I've not reached the "top of the hill" yet.

Once you get it working again park on exit would be well suited to your situation. Let us know how it goes.
“Initiate Automatic Parking Before Exiting the Vehicle (U.S. and Mexico Only)
If Require Continuous Press is set to NO, you can initiate the parking maneuver from inside Model X before exiting:
1. While sitting in Model X with the vehicle powered on, double press the Park gear.
The instrument panel displays a message indicating that Summon is engaged, and the touchscreen displays a popup window.
2. On the touchscreen, choose the direction of travel.
3. Exit Model X and close the door.
Note: All doors and trunks must be closed.
Note: To cancel the parking maneuver before exiting the vehicle, touch Cancel on the popup window.
Summon now drives Model X into the parking space according to the direction you specified on the touchscreen.”

• Informative
Reactions: cobra
FINALLY found more people with the same problem. I can't believe this isn't more widely publicized.

My 2018 M3 parked perfectly in the garage with summon since I got it. Since August or September 2021, it stops with about 3 feet (95cm) of space between wall and the bumper.

I confirmed this 3 feet perimeter by trying to park the car forward as well.
I also confirmed that when I set the Summon "Bumper Clearance" setting in the car from "20 cm" to "40 cm", the car actually started parking 95+20 = 115cm from the wall! So 95 cm (~3 feet) seems to be the minimum clearance for some reason.

Tesla reviewed logs and found no errors. Summon is "completing successfully". They reset the "Summon module" (or something along those lines) and that didn't resolve the problem either. I even confirmed with my neighbour's 2019 M3 and his also stops with about 95cm or 3' of clearance.

Now I'm stuck with a car that won't summon closer than 95cm (3'), which makes the feature is 100% useless.

The Tesla tech said he will report it but he also said more people need report it so it becomes a wider spread issue.

You can see the clearance here:

I had the same problem on my Model 3. I hadn't used any Summon in a long time and the app said Smart Summon was unavailable. After doing and regular forward/backward Summon, the Smart Summon features became available in the app.

A lack of GPS precision could also be a contributing factor. The feature is only supposed to work if the vehicle and the phone are within 250 feet (I think that is the number) from each other. Often GPS is not that good, either for the car, or the phone.